Setting a constant idle?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting a constant idle?
I am finding that my cold idle and hot idle are very varied. If I set my cold idle to be reasonable so it doesn't shake it's tits off if I don't put my foot on the throttle then when the fuel pump has warmed up it is idling about 1300 rpm which is really annoying. I am still running the cold start spring but have cut the cold start cable off the wax thermostat because it was too long (I had a Lucas pump originally). I have tried using both the vertical idle screw and the horizontal one, neither can seem to get a consistent idle. I am still running the cold start spring inside the pump as well. I have changed the fuel filter which helps to get the cold idle closer to the hot idle but there is still a difference of a couple hundred rpm.
Thanks given by:
if your not using the wax stat then you wont get the hot/cold control!?!?!!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Wait.. confusing post is confusing. For a start, there's supposed to be a difference between hot and cold idle, that's why you can adjust them independently. Secondly, if you've removed the stat cable you're removed the pump's ability to change its idle to what you specify when warm.

Are you on veg by any chance? As I have a higher idle after a couple of minutes and my idle control has been removed. Darren explained it a while back but can't find the thread, the idle DOES change slightly by itself but is exaggerated by veg.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeah.
it will natrually rise once warm.

I have no hot/cold wax adjust. It starts at about 750rpm then rises to 900ish once warm.

if you have removed the wax stat, you cant expect it to change and adjust the hot/cold
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You will find this is not actually cos your car warms up its just your alternator stops pulling charge.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
All I got out of that was something about a cow and alien having a rude time and a hybrid ginger being born..

Seriously, youve removed hot/cold cable so wont be hot/cold now, just somewhere inbetween.. if ya on veg I found itll idle higher than on derv
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2013, 09:36 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Wait.. confusing post is confusing. For a start, there's supposed to be a difference between hot and cold idle, that's why you can adjust them independently. Secondly, if you've removed the stat cable you're removed the pump's ability to change its idle to what you specify when warm.

Are you on veg by any chance? As I have a higher idle after a couple of minutes and my idle control has been removed. Darren explained it a while back but can't find the thread, the idle DOES change slightly by itself but is exaggerated by veg.

Yes, I am on veg and I removed the stat cable because it was slack anyway because it was a Lucas originally. But I am not sure about the hot and cold idle screws being different, if you look closely at the back of the pump they actually control the same rocker arm.

At the moment it shudders when it is cold and idles low and quietly unless I put my foot on the throttle to bring the idle up to a decent amount.

(02-07-2013, 12:10 AM)Dave Wrote: You will find this is not actually cos your car warms up its just your alternator stops pulling charge.

Woah, I thought it was because the pump gets hot and therefore preheats the veg slightly. I had no idea about the alternator thing.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't matter if it was Lucas or Bosch. My old car had the conversion and we used the same wax stat cable.
Thanks given by:
Alternator load shouldn't vary your RPM by more than 100rpm tops, and it's less noticeable at higher RPM because there is less noticeable drag. When the glow plugs turn off, that's when you'll see (and hear) a difference. Everything else shouldn't bother it.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
(02-07-2013, 07:52 AM)306Puggy Wrote: Yes, I am on veg and I removed the stat cable because it was slack anyway because it was a Lucas originally. But I am not sure about the hot and cold idle screws being different, if you look closely at the back of the pump they actually control the same rocker arm.

Doh
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Just set your idle via the hot idle screw, and it should stay at that. Mine does, start up cold its about 1000rpm and when its warm it drops to 900rpm and stays like that. If your running lots of max fuel the pump loses its ability to regulate the idle according to electrical load or something like that!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I don't understand why, but it is not staying like that. I am using the hot idle screw to set the idle. That was what I meant by the vertical screw. If I start it in the morning the engine dies if I don't get the revs up by pressing the throttle. I really can't understand it TBH. Are you running without a cold idle cable as well?
Thanks given by:
Just take both the idle screws out.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Hi Anton. I can't see why that would help? I think I must have tried that awhile ago but even on max fuelling it died if I didn't keep my foot on the throttle.
Thanks given by:
I haven't used them in about 18 months. Mine idles cold on veg at about 700, then warm about 850-900.

Take a picture of your pump please, straight ahead and left side looking at it.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Sure bud! Front of pump:

[Image: P1010088_zpsbd6cb726.jpg]

Left side of pump:

[Image: P1010027_zpsb73f365b.jpg]

[Image: P1010028_zps6fb7600e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hmmm yeah may aswell take that idle screw out, not doing anything. What boost are you running? Also id unscrew the lda a bit more, help with off boost fuel. Have you taken the washer/spacer out too?

Looks as though your at the point where you need to move the throttle arm.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I'm running 25psi, fuelling turned 1 turn down from max. I have taken the white collar off the ground LDA pin and I have moved the throttle arm on the sliding bolts. I will try giving it more offboost fuelling then.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm have you tried upping the boost? The only thing i can think of is like I've said, take the throttle arm off and move it. If not could always turn the max fuel down a tad...
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting a stock idle on a modded pump!? 306Puggy 59 12,528 29-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Setting Bosch idle 306Puggy 7 2,466 06-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Last Post: 306Puggy