Dump valve set up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dump valve set up
So I fort I'd put a dump valve on the hdi just purely for the sh*ts and giggles but I can't seem to find what vacume pipe I need to T into. I've set up the solenoid system boost in one end but need to do the vacume in the other. I've T'ed into my boost gauge line will that be ok? Will it still show when I'm fully boosting or be less now, also set up the micro switch on the throttle so all I need to sort out is the vacume any idea/pictures people could help me. Thanks in advance. Ben
Thanks given by:
This is a guide I made ages ago mate. Forgot about it. Might even copy it over to this site for a guide.

http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...ve+fitting
Thanks given by:
Can not view it as I'm not a member of that forums
Thanks given by:
You'll need to t into the vacuum from the brake servo
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You'll need to artificially create a vacuum, as obviously diesels dont have a throttle body. Easiest way would probably be to wire up the egr solenoid to the pedal switch and connect your vacuum feed t that.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Been asked for better explanation of what I mean above, thought i'd put it here so people can see it in future. Smile

Basically you need a new vacuum feed for the pressure switch. Easiest way to do it I can think of would be to rewire your egr solenoid (guessing you'll be de-egr'd already) so it's activated by the switch you're installing on the accelerator pedal, then run a new vacuum line to your bov from the solenoid.

This is only me making an educated guess btw, never installed one myself, but can't think of an easier way to do it or any reason why this wouldn't work.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
There is 2 capped off lines on the vaccum hose that you can use.

If you look at the rocker cover on the right hand side (from the front of the car) there is a cylinder on the end of it about the isze of a tennis ball with a pipe coming off, this is your vac pump. use one of the blanked things on the pipe off it.
Thanks given by:
Oh a constant feed would be ok then?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
so its all up and working but its very quite Sad

still needs a tidy up as its very messy still with wires every were

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Looks about right to me but youll want a vac resovior as otherwise its not strong/fast enough to open your DV
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't be quiet mate. Also dont use the blanked off pipes as there restricted you need to T into the actual pipe like I told you lol

Then it will sound better Smile
Thanks given by:
Blanked off pipe?

Dum-dum what do you mean by a vac resovior
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 07:57 PM)Ben hdi306 Wrote: Blanked off pipe?

Dum-dum what do you mean by a vac resovior

Where you have your vac pipe going to take it off. T into the material pipe that connects to the metal pipe.
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 07:57 PM)Ben hdi306 Wrote: Dum-dum what do you mean by a vac resovior

Believe it or not i mean a resovior for the vacuum

Basically a small inline tank or even large diameter pipe just before the solenoid as it means there's a large store of vac for that instant hit to the DV to make sure it opens quickly.
Thanks given by:
Dum dum replying to a dump valve thread?

Comical me thinks!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I thought about this for the lols after watching it on mighty car mods.

May actually consider it....
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:58 PM)callumcull Wrote: I thought about this for the lols after watching it on mighty car mods.

May actually consider it....

Do it lol mines a 5 door 306 just image people's faces when it goes off lol
Thanks given by:
Haha I'm thinking the same! I had a massive boost leak when I first FMIC'd it, sounded so good screaming through town. Couldn't drive it sensibly, was too funny watching everyone's head turn!!
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:06 PM)Niall Wrote: Dum dum replying to a dump valve thread?

Comical me thinks!

Yeah cos I know nothing about dump valves on HDis

[Image: HDiEasterRe-Birth09019.jpg]
Thanks given by:

'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
So Dum-Dum do you reckon if I put a small inline bike fuel filter housing into the pipe just before the solenoid it would make it louder?
Thanks given by:
Honestly... on a stock engine running 14psi of boost, it isn't going to be loud!! It'll be louder if you wind the boost up, but remember you're not flowing nearly as much air as in a petrol, and you dont ever have that point where the throttle plate shuts and the air has nowhere else to go but out of the dump valve. With a diesel, if you come off the throttle, the engine is still drawing in air, so there isn't any massive quantity to vent or any massive pressure to vent either...
Thanks given by:
Oooohhhh not again!!!

Iv got a amazing idea lets fit a mod that will actualy slow my throttle response ..... Almost as bad as those electric supperchargers off ebay IMO Doh

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(06-06-2013, 02:00 PM)puglove Wrote: Oooohhhh not again!!!

Iv got a amazing idea lets fit a mod that will actualy slow my throttle response ..... Almost as bad as those electric supperchargers off ebay IMO Doh

It doesn't slow throttle response at all...

It will have a miniscule effect on how quickly the boost is built again, but conversely, it will probably marginally reduce the effect of slowing the turbo down, as it doesn't have any work to do compressing the air...
Thanks given by:
Sorry forgot to mention I'm running 22psi of boost on a stage 2 map wouldn't just fit a front mount and run standard boost
Thanks given by:
It doesn't effect the performance at all, this dump valve is of my car and worked/sounded fine. He has just got the vacume pipe to the wrong place like I keep saying.
Thanks given by:
Come on guys, hes said in the first post he knows it pointless and only wants it for lols.

(06-06-2013, 02:17 PM)Reginald Doe Wrote: It will have a miniscule effect on how quickly the boost is built again, but conversely, it will probably marginally reduce the effect of slowing the turbo down, as it doesn't have any work to do compressing the air...

Say wut?! lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-06-2013, 02:38 PM)Poodle Wrote:
(06-06-2013, 02:17 PM)Reginald Doe Wrote: It will have a miniscule effect on how quickly the boost is built again, but conversely, it will probably marginally reduce the effect of slowing the turbo down, as it doesn't have any work to do compressing the air...

Say wut?! lol

I may have this wrong, but if the turbo is spinning supplying compressed air to the engine on say full throttle, and you then lift completely off the throttle, the engine can only induct a certain quantity of air per cylinder. Meaning if the turbo is supplying more than that, it will not cause full on compressor stall, but I would assume (and again I could be wrong here) that this would slow the compressor more quickly, than if there was a dump valve in line venting to atmosphere...?

Correct me if I'm wrong!!
Thanks given by:
Ah I see what you mean, read the first explanation three times trying to understand and got a headache on the fourth pass so opted for taking the piss instead. Wink

Hmmm, don't know tbh, more likely to work the other way as when you come of the throttle the exhaust gases driving the turbine will disappear, thats why bovs on diesels will slow boost response between gear changes etc. On the standard turbo itd be barely noticeable though..
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-06-2013, 03:18 PM)Poodle Wrote: Ah I see what you mean, read the first explanation three times trying to understand and got a headache on the fourth pass so opted for taking the piss instead. Wink

Hmmm, don't know tbh, more likely to work the other way as when you come of the throttle the exhaust gases driving the turbine will disappear, thats why bovs on diesels will slow boost response between gear changes etc. On the standard turbo itd be barely noticeable though..

So nuuuh Ed Tongue

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dump valve on hdi? charlie7543 19 7,245 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Last Post: 4WayDiablo
  purpose of a dump valve aaron_one 14 4,720 28-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Ed Doe
  dump valve hdi needed quickly keithnewton 20 7,286 16-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Mr Whippy