Weird startup problem :/

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird startup problem :/
Hi all, my diesel is very sluggish to start, an if i dont hold the key in long enough it cuts out.
Then when i try an start it again it just turns over an wont fire at all.
Its a 95 dturbo on a lucas pump, the primer is workin fine, from the fuel lines etc ive checked around the pump, i cant seem to see any splits in the pipes, im clueless :/
I think ive narrowed it down to either the keypad immobiliser or somethings wrong with the fueling.
Ive tried to sort it myself but am stuck on what todo.
Anyone have any ideas of what todo?
Thanks
Mike
Thanks given by:
id say battery issue
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Sounds more fuelly i think, prime it up every time before you try and start it to see if the problem goes away?

Also if you have a multimeter might aswell check the battery. 12.6v charge in the battery is usually a good indication that its happy. Thats ignition off just sat there. Might be more if you just been driving but thats just a surface charge, headlights on for a few minutes will get rid of that and it should level out. Leave the meter connected to the battery when you start it and see what it drops to, personally if you see 10volts its f*cked.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2013, 12:05 PM)Tom Wrote: Sounds more fuelly i think, prime it up every time before you try and start it to see if the problem goes away?

Also if you have a multimeter might aswell check the battery. 12.6v charge in the battery is usually a good indication that its happy. Thats ignition off just sat there. Might be more if you just been driving but thats just a surface charge, headlights on for a few minutes will get rid of that and it should level out. Leave the meter connected to the battery when you start it and see what it drops to, personally if you see 10volts its f*cked.

I dont pump the primer first time i start, but once it decides not to start, i pump the primer, bleed it with the little 8mm bleeder, an try again, if nothing, i usually crack an injector off, one time it started like this.
But recently it hasnt.
When i get jump started, it will pritty much start first time, it will be kinda lumpy but will start.
Will check the battery when i next go an start it, thanks for the info on that tom!
Thanks given by:
Checked the glowies?

I doubt electrical problem, seeing as you're getting it turning.

And fueling seems to be ok it's bleeding ok. Check the fuel filter isn't clogged.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
If it generally goes on a jump then it sounds even more like its the battery.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Today i was messing around upgrading battery wires, an as i was doing the starter, the bolt snapped, so i went scrappy, got a new starter, put it all together and when i first started it, it was slightly sloppy, only very slightly, and i havent tried since. Will update once ive given it another go/morning start up where its usually worse.
Thanks for all the help btw people!
Thanks given by:
Started it this morning, was pritty sloppy on start.
Im starting to think it could be fuel, possibley the pump to far retarded? As i have moved the pump in the past as it used to have a very heavy diesel knock
Thanks given by:
Take a video, that will give us a better idea.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Have you checked you fuel filter? could be something so simple. It's unlikely if the car has been running fine, for it to suddenly "retard" itself
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Will get a video on next startup, it wouldnt start today an i totally forgot to video it,
To get it to start i jumped it off the starter motor an it fired up striaght away.
Before that i cracked an injector while a mate started it, an there was no fuel there an also primed the pump whilest starting an no luck.
Just too add abit of info, it is keypad immobilised, and the battery is in the boot.
It used to start first turn off the key 2months or so back. It then got taken off the road for abit, then since its been back on the road, the startup struggles have been happening.
Mike
Thanks given by:
When did you relocate the battery in relation to when it worked right?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
When it first came on the road about start of feb, started perfect up intill i took her off the road around march, came back in april an since then been a bugger
Thanks given by:
Have you replaced the battery then? Or got a spare to try? Or test your own? Have you checked leak offs and all the other fuel piping?

Also you mentioned you retarded the pump because it had that famous diesel clattery type sound we all love. It is supposed to sound like that in the mornings when its cold, and it will go away as it warms up. That little bit of advance you had might of been helping your cold starts to no end. Now you retarded it back your having trouble? Really just thinking aloud now...

Get a video aswell, that will help us.

I might br wrong but i just had a quick skim over it all but no ones mentioned glow plugs yet?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2013, 10:51 AM)Tom Wrote: Have you replaced the battery then? Or got a spare to try? Or test your own? Have you checked leak offs and all the other fuel piping?

Also you mentioned you retarded the pump because it had that famous diesel clattery type sound we all love. It is supposed to sound like that in the mornings when its cold, and it will go away as it warms up. That little bit of advance you had might of been helping your cold starts to no end. Now you retarded it back your having trouble? Really just thinking aloud now...

Get a video aswell, that will help us.

I might br wrong but i just had a quick skim over it all but no ones mentioned glow plugs yet?

My battery seems fine, and i have tested it in the past and it was all ok, not recently though.

Yea i retarded the pump when it first came back on the road, as the diesel knock was happening when the car was warm, it sounded awfull, but i have to say when it was knocking, it started on its first turn.

The glow plugs are all fine, each one holds the same volts (around 11v i think)
Thanks given by:
Mike, you need to stop guessing and assuming. Get everything we suggest checked otherwise you're not ruling it out as being an issue. Batteries can pass "tests" because they don't simulate the engine conditions at all.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Andy i am checking everything, and they all are ok from what i can tell...
But anyway i think ive sorted it. I started it up, disconnected the lead from the back of the immobiliser and ive tried it for the past day, and its been starting fine.
Takes 3/4 turns but then fires into life no problem, not sloppy or anything like that. So im gona give it a week and if it all seems fine then all is good.
Thanks for all your suggestions and help!
Thanks given by:
i would get the battery load tested, if thats ok then i would, test or better still put a new set of glow plugs in if that, doesn't do anything and good then possibly look at getting the pump line pressure tested to see if the pump has to wind over a few time to build up pressure before the injectors open.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loud noise on startup? Jimmy306uk 20 3,148 29-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Few issues on cold startup aggyj17 8 1,149 07-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Last Post: vincent1
  1.9 lumpy startup from cold and blue smoke! Andy annear 23 8,154 28-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Last Post: mattgreene