Engine STOP Light+smoke from behind dash

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine STOP Light+smoke from behind dash
Hi, I have a somewhat puzzling problem. Yesterday my car was fine, this afternoon I go to get in it to nip down to the shops before they close and I find that with the engine running the STOP light is on. So I switch it off, check the oil and coolant, both fine, so I procceed to drive down the road for a few yards, before I know it, smoke is eminating from behind the steering column and I can smell a plastic burning smell. Also, the instrument cluster is playing up, the rev counter goes to 950 without the engine running and the speedometer hangs from where I was last driving. I have removed the steering column shrouding and plan to run the engine until I can see if anything is burning, but in the meantime, any ideas?Huh
Thanks given by:
I'd get a fire extinguisher asap mate!
Thanks given by:
Best of to take it apart and have a look! Last thing you want is to be driving about and the car erupts into flames.
Check all your fuses, i had a burning smell in my old car at one point because someone wrapped copper wire around a blown fuse and it was arching.
But it sounds like to me you have some dodgy wiring, defo get in there and have a look before you drive it again, like i said, dont want a fire!
Thanks given by:
Right, turns out it was nothing too complicated. The rev counter that I swapped out of a slightly different instrument cluster (but same make-VDO) had burnt out for some reason:
[Image: P1010102_zps38c363e1.jpg]

I removed the rev counter from the instrument cluster which caused the STOP light to switch off. I am hoping the reason for the rev counter burning out was a fault with the unit; I had noticed that it was overeading by about 250 rpm as well as the needle not quite resting on the 0 with the engine off.

I had that rev counter for all of 5 days, now back to no rev counter again, not ideal for tuning, but at least I am not waiting for something to burst into flames anymore!

Anyone got a spare VDO instrument cluster that I can have for not a lot of money?
Thanks given by:
why has this guy been banned off the forum?
Thanks given by:
They may have meant to ban piggy and got wrong person damn
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just realised who this person is our old friend Flynn.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Light blue smoke Nathan1305 5 1,695 26-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Seb_Ryan
  Rough startup....smoke.. lots of smoke.. toseland 8 3,976 17-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: madmadmax
  White Smoke - New Engine? silverzx 29 7,297 20-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Last Post: devils_fuel