306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Engine STOP Light+smoke from behind dash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have a somewhat puzzling problem. Yesterday my car was fine, this afternoon I go to get in it to nip down to the shops before they close and I find that with the engine running the STOP light is on. So I switch it off, check the oil and coolant, both fine, so I procceed to drive down the road for a few yards, before I know it, smoke is eminating from behind the steering column and I can smell a plastic burning smell. Also, the instrument cluster is playing up, the rev counter goes to 950 without the engine running and the speedometer hangs from where I was last driving. I have removed the steering column shrouding and plan to run the engine until I can see if anything is burning, but in the meantime, any ideas?Huh
I'd get a fire extinguisher asap mate!
Best of to take it apart and have a look! Last thing you want is to be driving about and the car erupts into flames.
Check all your fuses, i had a burning smell in my old car at one point because someone wrapped copper wire around a blown fuse and it was arching.
But it sounds like to me you have some dodgy wiring, defo get in there and have a look before you drive it again, like i said, dont want a fire!
Right, turns out it was nothing too complicated. The rev counter that I swapped out of a slightly different instrument cluster (but same make-VDO) had burnt out for some reason:
[Image: P1010102_zps38c363e1.jpg]

I removed the rev counter from the instrument cluster which caused the STOP light to switch off. I am hoping the reason for the rev counter burning out was a fault with the unit; I had noticed that it was overeading by about 250 rpm as well as the needle not quite resting on the 0 with the engine off.

I had that rev counter for all of 5 days, now back to no rev counter again, not ideal for tuning, but at least I am not waiting for something to burst into flames anymore!

Anyone got a spare VDO instrument cluster that I can have for not a lot of money?
why has this guy been banned off the forum?
They may have meant to ban piggy and got wrong person damn
Just realised who this person is our old friend Flynn.