Dum-Dum's Transsexual HDi Roadster - HE/SHE RUNS!!! :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dum's Transsexual HDi Roadster - HE/SHE RUNS!!! :D
I think this HDi lump might be going in sooner than expected as the XSi box is starting to get very poorly. 4th was always pretty weak but now 2nd and 1st are going 4th is bad and i don't think 3rd is far off starting to go.

Anyway payday has come and shinys have started arriving.

16" slim fan (yes my ironing board is that big), a pair of EGR blanks and a puller to have a bash at some torsion bars.

Thanks given by:
When are you aiming to get it changed over then? Smile
Thanks given by:
Will have to be very end of June / start of July mate as i cant afford to get the ECU done or the water pipe i need before then. If the XSi box totally dies I might have to reassess that though and borrow some money to get bits
Thanks given by:
is that the right puller Chris, would a small slide hammer be better due to seized arms etc?

Can't wait to see a coal cloud behind the cabby
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Angry cos a seller has cancelled my turbo order on ebay, obviously didnt like the price i got it for.
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2013, 01:12 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Angry cos a seller has cancelled my turbo order on ebay, obviously didnt like the price i got it for.

Unfortunately that happens.. Sad
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
It sucks donkey balls, hopefully got another sorted but if this goes bent it might go in with a standard turbo
Thanks given by:
So having owned the car for 2-3 months I decided it was time to wash it and TBH i kinda wish I hadn't. The paint is f*cked, scratches everywhere and rough as a badgers arse hole to the point where I could feel the drying towel catching on it. Did manage to give it a coat of megs gold class though. Gonna sit down over a couple of days and detail it properly with a full wash > tar remover > wash > clay bar > polish > scratch repair > wax job.

Anyway some pics

Thanks given by:
Haha, what is it with you and your allergy to washing cars?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Dude your welcome to come to mine for a day and give it a detail? We will get the paint lovely and shiney! lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2013, 08:43 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Haha, what is it with you and your allergy to washing cars?
I'm not that bad, I'm usually better than not doing it in 3 months at least. I like this one so im gonna clay it and try and get the paint as smooth as my last one or my polo. Got some very shiny megs stuff in the shed that'll come out once I've got it feeling like pant rather than sandpaper.

(27-05-2013, 08:45 PM)Niall Wrote: Dude your welcome to come to mine for a day and give it a detail? We will get the paint lovely and shiney! lol
Maybe once the HDi is in otherwise it'll cost me a fortune. Why don't you come up here, I've got a private car park and a hose that is pretty much long enough and neighbors that don't whinge.
Thanks given by:
May do but i doubt it will be before pugfest. Text me your postcode and ill have a look.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2013, 01:12 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Angry cos a seller has cancelled my turbo order on ebay, obviously didnt like the price i got it for.

THIS drives me INSANE on ebay these days....People just do it constantly...If you make a listing with no reserve, then you should HAVE to sell it no matter what, it just takes the piss! Totally off topic I know, but ive noticed this happening more and more and it really really irritates me!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Chris; where did you get that puller from??
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(29-05-2013, 09:55 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote:

THIS drives me INSANE on ebay these days....People just do it constantly...If you make a listing with no reserve, then you should HAVE to sell it no matter what, it just takes the piss! Totally off topic I know, but ive noticed this happening more and more and it really really irritates me!

They are utter f*cking arseholes. It now looks like the second seller is gonna be a lady garden too. Engine might be going in with a standard turbo.
Thanks given by:
(29-05-2013, 10:26 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Chris; where did you get that puller from??

ebay, will need adapted to become a proper TB puller though
Thanks given by:
ECU is back and the turbo is here, cant wait to get a chance to play with my shinys and get all the new bits bolted up to the engine. Smile

(pics tomorrow)
Thanks given by:
shame about your turbo woes...

winky face! xxx
Thanks given by:
So finally made a sig, I'm too cool for words.

More pictures tonight hopefully.
Thanks given by:
So hybrid turbo is in progress feel like Ive spent hours with the blow torch trying to get bits apart.

So EGR blanking plate is bolted to the manifold.

Rover turbo on the left, pug turbo on the right, Ath rover has only 8 blades compared to the pugs 10 and although the wheel is a little bit smaller at its widest its needed about 3mm taking out of the pug exhaust housing.

I wish I knew someone with a lathe. I have moved onto a grinding bit now but all my drill batteries are flat.

Thanks given by:
Chris my man has a lathe!!
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
interested to see the results on the blower combo you've got there...
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 05:59 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Chris my man has a lathe!!
I'm nearly there now mate, Wish I'd thought of that though. Just got a bit of shaping in the inner lip and we should be good.

(04-06-2013, 06:46 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: interested to see the results on the blower combo you've got there...
Yeah I cant wait, don't think anyone else has one of these and the rover turbo has cost me £50.
Thanks given by:
Oh god that turbo....grinding it out like that will really not give good results...the turbine needs to be like .1mm across the entire blade tip..you will never get it remotely like that with that...even using a lathe it generally gives pretty poor results...It will work, but it will be more laggy, and will eat turbos...

Just saying like
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 08:34 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Oh god that turbo....grinding it out like that will really not give good results...the turbine needs to be like .1mm across the entire blade tip..you will never get it remotely like that with that...even using a lathe it generally gives pretty poor results...It will work, but it will be more laggy, and will eat turbos...

Just saying like

Yeah, that precision turbo and my not so precision engineering is never gonna be 100% win but it only has to last a couple of months ninja
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 09:53 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: but it only has to last a couple of months ninja

Yeah, before you scrap/crash/blow it up Tongue
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Trust me that turbo will be a complete failure - that's either going to be too much and completely f*ck any response, or too little and you're going to just ram the turbine wheel into the housing.

You'd GENUINELY be better off removing the compressor off the shaft, undoing the backplate, swapping that and bolting back up, even if you didn't VSR it, you'd get better results...

The old 8 blade GT15 turbines are crap also. And judging by the fac you said the wheel is smaller at it's outer - you've now given it a MASSIVE A/R that simply isn't going to get the gas into the blades, it'll just pass round it...

I have first hand experience of DIY Hybrids and each and every one tried thus far has been a chronic failure. Turbine housings and sizing are WAY more important than people would first make out.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Chris are those EGR blanks off the shelf or have you had them made??

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
EGR blanks are off ebay mate, about £8
Thanks given by:
Soooooo the engine is ready to go in (bar fitting the clutch)

To celebrate here's some pictures

Old cam belt, didn't get a pic of the new one fitted but its a genuine pug kit with rollers and water pump and came in at under £100

New aux belt is a Contitech 6pk1173

Made a nipple for the boost take off out of a brake bleed nipple, drilled it out a little ripped off the bottom then drilled and tapped the manifold and its a good tight fit Smile

Got my CG clutch ready to go on, un sprung center Big Grin cant wait.

Got the inlet side EGR plate bolted in, got it sandwiched between the end of the old pipe to get it nice and tight

Got my Hybrid turbo finished (it is a little rounder than the picture shows lol)

And got both manifolds bolted up to the engine

Tomorrow is going to be a good day providing all goes to plan Big Grin
Thanks given by: