Symptoms of buggered driveshaft?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symptoms of buggered driveshaft?
Have a clunk from the passenger side when i pull away and turn at low speed. Wishbone is less than 500 miles old, its definately not a sticky calliper and i cant find any play anywhere but i havent checked the shaft because i didnt think to...bell end! Does this sound like a shaft and if so, how much play if any would be a normal amount in the CV joints?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
A buggard shaft will normally cause a vibration and your gesrstick to go absolutely mental when putting the power down in my experience
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
In my experience the steering wheel dives to one side, get under and check for play. Seen the video Samass has of mine? That's how they shouldn't be
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
On my last 6 had the drive shafts fail one after the other, both were like the wheels were epicly out of balance but only when under load with a clunk when letting off, then fine when off of load

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
hmmm ok maybe its not that then. Back to square one!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
top mount bearing?
Thanks given by:
I would check your engine mounts also
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 10:11 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: top mount bearing?

^this, especially if it happens at low speeds, ie parking/pulling away
Thanks given by:
dose it also do it if you hit the brakes hard in reverse? if so when you find tue problem let me. iv beej looking for it on the xsi for months now. grrrrrr

Thanks given by:
Niall it's all in your head, stop worrying and just drive it /niall
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
its not in his head....... it is his head...... hitting the head linner every time he pulls away /lankyfucker

Thanks given by:
In my experience; the problems get worse the hotter it gets. Whe cold, you'd know notice no difference, then after about 5 minutes of driving some massive shaking if the car
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 05:19 AM)puglove Wrote: dose it also do it if you hit the brakes hard in reverse? if so when you find tue problem let me. iv beej looking for it on the xsi for months now. grrrrrr

Id guess at ball joint loose in the wishbone, Irene used to do that, the bolts were slightly too small for the holes, allowing it to slop back and forth
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Thanks given by:
Top mount bearing is fine. Had them out a few weeks back.

Ed, I refuse to listen to you because I'm not a hypochondriac like you and I can differentiate between my car working, being broken and being worn because I'm not astor driving ginger......oh wait.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
In the NAD it was clicky as f*ck, and vibrated a lot at 90mph. Confused

You sure its not the exhuast knocking anywhere?
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 07:11 AM)samass Wrote:
(24-04-2013, 05:19 AM)puglove Wrote: dose it also do it if you hit the brakes hard in reverse? if so when you find tue problem let me. iv beej looking for it on the xsi for months now. grrrrrr

Id guess at ball joint loose in the wishbone, Irene used to do that, the bolts were slightly too small for the holes, allowing it to slop back and forth

new ball joints and pinch bolts less than a month ago. tightened . checked , checed again then checked again oh and checked a feckin gain. driving me up the wall now lol

Thanks given by:
mine does the same feels like the wheel moves slightly theres no play in joints ect ive just done a passenger drive shafts but still need to do drivers as thats ubbered i have a dodgy bottom mount aswell its vibrates when i pull away in 1st and mainly clunks if steer slightly when braking or reverse
Thanks given by:
just get ya hand on it and twist to check for play.

its not normally a single clunk but a rythmic clunk clunk clunk when under load, ie turning tight and accelerating
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Right update on this. Ive just been out, jacked it up and undone every single suspension bolt and re torqued it all up to the correct torque. Cant be drop link, top mounts are less than 500 miles old and Meyle wishbones are less than 500 miles old. had a play with the shaft (giggidy) and there was very minimal play twisting it however there was this

[Image: th_2013-04-24170311_zpscc268930.jpg]

Surely not right? The noise sounds like the noise im trying to cure so thinking its this.

Also discovered my beam is creaking away nicely Sad
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
my DT shafts use to have back and forth play like that but no clunck. not really check any of the other 306's though

no clunk when pulling away that is!

Thanks given by:
the hub nut done up correctly?
i dont remember seeing any play in my shafts when they went - both old and new shafts had no play like that, my inner CV joints were nackered
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
thats what mine was like but needs to do my drivers side as thats making simular noise
Thanks given by:
There's a tiny bit of play in the driveshafts if you really take notice, but not much. When mine went it caused a clinking consistent with the road speed, but only when the car was in gear (obviously). It's also very hard to work out what feckin' side it's coming from!!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Well its mega f*cked now. Rattling all over the place and loads of play in it. Hope it lasts the drive down to brighton and back tomorrow!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
It won't. Rofl
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Thanks given by:
Mine clicked like c.a.r said for awhile, then i did an emergancy stop which seemed to finish it off
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear beam symptoms aaron_one 5 944 27-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Last Post: welshpug
Star ball joint failure symptoms no2lurch 10 2,735 21-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Danny2009
  symptoms of top mounts gone? sam 4 1,637 29-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Tyronnster