XUD / HDI / CDTI ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD / HDI / CDTI ?
Tom, I have hit a proven 73MPG, how are HDi's poor on economy?! Yours was broken, as, I assume, is Sam's. Don't let his sensible aged appearance fool you, Cully is a hooligan, hence his hysterically low MPGs.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
if i had my money again id go XUD and do the bosch conversion
veg oil and mis fuel mixed with used garage oil cheap motoring!
not saying ive don this but my old 1.5NAD 106 used to love it whistle

stuff the hdi! to keep it running good youve got to throw money at it and mine is crap on mpg too...
my divers boots probably dont help but 38MPG on my last tankfull after a full service thats Pants!
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 02:23 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Tom, I have hit a proven 73MPG, how are HDi's poor on economy?! Yours was broken, as, I assume, is Sam's. Don't let his sensible aged appearance fool you, Cully is a hooligan, hence his hysterically low MPGs.

On a proper eco run though.....whats your average? It'll be nowhere near that figure. I did 69mpg on ONE run in the golf, at night with a long clear road, decent conditions on cruise control all the way there.....but thats a pointless figure as I could never average it.

I'm sure there's something different about the newer ones though, post Y reg. Something different in the management for better efficiency (to drop the emmisions for the 'new' at the time tax bands) as the people reporting decent mpg all seem to have the newer ones. Then again Cully's is an '02 lol, but maybe he does have a heavy right foot - still, 38mpg from it really is shite...even with a heavy foot lol.
Thanks given by:
Lowest I've ever seen was in the mid 40s, and that was ragging it the 2 miles to and from college, from cold, never getting up to temperature. Best tankful was over 60, average for the last couple years is in the mid-high 50s.
Thanks given by:
Bastards all of you. The 6 managed 22 around Germany but did manage to push that up to 39 on a long eco ish run
Thanks given by:
i managed to get my lotus down to 6mpg when it was supercharged :p
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 04:58 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: but did manage to push that up to 39 on a long eco ish run

wohooo i want a 6!
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 08:10 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: i managed to get my lotus down to 6mpg when it was supercharged :p

I don't think you've understood the game.....the bigger number wins! lol
Thanks given by:
No, it definitely doesn't Wink
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 08:29 PM)Curt Wrote: No, it definitely doesn't Wink

Yeah it does!

You're thinking of S/G, smiles per gallon, lower number definitely wins there!
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 08:38 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(17-04-2013, 08:29 PM)Curt Wrote: No, it definitely doesn't Wink

Yeah it does!

You're thinking of S/G, smiles per gallon, lower number definitely wins there!

Well not strictly because anyone would be happy to have a lambo that does 40mpg flat out but its never going to happen.
Low mpg is just a sign that your doing it all right! lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 08:45 PM)Niall Wrote: Well not strictly because anyone would be happy to have a lambo that does 40mpg flat out but its never going to happen.

This.

Although that still wouldn't be good enough for Tom. Oh and not enough doors
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 08:48 PM)Curt Wrote:
(17-04-2013, 08:45 PM)Niall Wrote: Well not strictly because anyone would be happy to have a lambo that does 40mpg flat out but its never going to happen.

This.

Although that still wouldn't be good enough for Tom. Oh and not enough doors

Oh and theres no room in the boot for a wardrobe or some other piece of furniture because someone has put a wacking great engine in there.

Cant please everyone!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Driving to uni doing 250miles I get about 51 mpg with all my gear in the car doing a mix of 60-80mph.
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
There are some seriously neglected/f*cked HDi's on this site, mine gets a fair amount of abuse, is regularly serviced and gets mid 50s on nearly every tank.

Either that or some members aren't able to calculate mpg properly.

With the quantity of bullshit on here recently either case is a strong possibility!

There's a reason why the faithful old 406 hdi is still being used by taxi firms up and down the country to this day....
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Why? I see taxis using avensis and vectra petrols mostly round here lol....clearly they aren't too fussed about mpg! Not they have to worry when they charge so much I guess.

Also....yours is again on y reg.....I'm sure there's something different there.
Thanks given by:
It's got a 3 Plug ECU...

Seriously, there's next to no difference.

My DT manages 50mpg average every day - I drive a 75 mile round trip to work and back and I have no qualms about blasting past slow wankers and burying my foot into the shag pile when required. I'll sit at 65-70 all day. And it's around 165hp currently...If I drive sensibly I've seen mid to high 50s out of it...

Yours was just f*cked.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
But the maps aren't the same are they, otherwise you wouldn't need your ecu number for a remap. I don't know much about the technical side of mapping but I'm sure there's something different to reduce emmisions, and therefore fuel consumption.

Mine was broken, I don't deny that, but wasn't my golf even broken? And still averaged about the same as the silver one which wasn't broken lol.

More to the point, the mechanical side of my hdi was fine, I was shocked tbh...so it was something electronic letting.g it down, whether that's poor mapping/learning or sensors broken I couldn't say. But as there's none of that on the XUD, seems like a better choice to me.... Smile

Interestingly though, I think I've fixed the lag issue on the vectra, by blanking the egr....doing that has also increased the mpg on the reader noticeabley, im talking like 5 or 6 mpg different on the same drive. I wonder if the hdi egrs get stuck open (or slightly open) causing the same issue? Hmm, only just linked the two tbh....
Thanks given by:
I told you about the egr at the time, just cos you weren't listening doesn't make your opinion any more useful. :p
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(18-04-2013, 06:22 AM)Poodle Wrote: I told you about the egr at the time, just cos you weren't listening doesn't make your opinion any more useful. :p

Itwasntme lol

Tbf, you've gotta be a bloody contortionist to get to the HDi EGR though! Dodgy And I didn't realise it'd affect MPG so much in all honesty.
Thanks given by:
can't win poodle lol
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 10:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: my golf

[Image: 1314029819767.png]

(17-04-2013, 10:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Interestingly though, I think I've fixed the lag issue on the vectra, by blanking the egr....doing that has also increased the mpg on the reader noticeabley, im talking like 5 or 6 mpg different on the same drive. I wonder if the hdi egrs get stuck open (or slightly open) causing the same issue? Hmm, only just linked the two tbh....

Of course it would have nothing to do with the recently increased ambient air temperatures would it? I mean, it's not like it wasn't <10ºC for most of the last tank of my fuel and it's now consistently >10ºC is it?

Do you brim the tank on your cars at every fill up Tom?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2013, 08:55 AM)C.A.R. Wrote:
(17-04-2013, 10:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Interestingly though, I think I've fixed the lag issue on the vectra, by blanking the egr....doing that has also increased the mpg on the reader noticeabley, im talking like 5 or 6 mpg different on the same drive. I wonder if the hdi egrs get stuck open (or slightly open) causing the same issue? Hmm, only just linked the two tbh....

Of course it would have nothing to do with the recently increased ambient air temperatures would it? I mean, it's not like it wasn't <10ºC for most of the last tank of my fuel and it's now consistently >10ºC is it?

Do you brim the tank on your cars at every fill up Tom?

No, nothing to do with the temperature seeing as it was the same day lol! I know the mpg reader isn't totally accurate, but I can't fill up after every drive obviously and for it to change by 5mpg there has to be some noticeable change occuring there.

Yes I always fill my cars to the click, with the same pump, at the same station. You're not gonna much more accurate than that.
Thanks given by:
So to bring this back from the brink of breaking into another tom v car topic

van and cdti is now out but im still deciding on xud / hdi also im kinda bored of the 306 and wondering about 406/206/whatever else runs an xud or hdi that are similar
Thanks given by:
You can get pretty well specced 406s for the money, although the lush executive models are becoming a bit hard to come by. I reckon a facelift 406 sitting low on some nice wheels would look awesome though, and I've never seen it done before.
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2013, 12:42 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: So to bring this back from the brink of breaking into another tom v car topic

van and cdti is now out but im still deciding on xud / hdi also im kinda bored of the 306 and wondering about 406/206/whatever else runs an xud or hdi that are similar

my mrs has a 206 2ltr hdi its quite a gokart i like it
its on a 51 plate is low tax and is a pre com2000 version so its basicly a small 306 hdi Wink
Thanks given by:
I get a solid 45mpg to a tank from mixed driving, calculated brim to brim from my 3.0l lardyass derv. Including cruising at 0.9/1.0 leptons on mway. Howzzzzaat?
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Ive done a 70 mile round trip today, leeds to manchester and back worked it out at 48mpg, sat in fast lane for most of it

You can get that 206SW not a pretty car but it looks quite practical....

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2014 Corsa 1.3 CDTI 75 kept up with my Stage 1 HDI!? MY95 39 13,144 27-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Last Post: 7057sam
Question Astra 1.7 cdti help londondan86 13 6,156 25-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Last Post: stevieg