XUD / HDI / CDTI ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD / HDI / CDTI ?
Sort of another what car thread but bear with it

Im looking for a cheap diesel that'll give good mpg consistently without being too sluggish

Its going to get abused so im not overly bothered about condition

Atm im stuck between deciding on a Hdi or XUD hatch or van or whether to go for an astra 1.7cdti van

Anyone shed sonera light on what would make a decent daily that can take abuse and be cheap to fuel
Thanks given by:
XUD, cheap and simple diesel.

HDi's are more refined, but more to go wrong.
Vauxhalls are just shit, will go wrong and will cost you lots of cash.
Thanks given by:
Funnily enough I've just had a long chat with one of the other maintenance guys from a site I'm on at the moment about my car and his Astra van. Not sure what engine it is (definitely derv) but its 10 plate and its on its 3rd clutch....maybe something to watch out for!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
My hdi has never let me down. Other than Aux belts, but im to blame for that

Touchwood
Thanks given by:
for a cheap abusable derv XUD FTW . want my sigma 5dr unfinished project? Big Grin

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Ohhhh shameless!
Thanks given by:
Like alot of cars, HDI's wont let you down if you LOOK after them, give them full maintenance, and take care for parts that only last so long. This is the case with many things really, the reason the XUD gets such the name for reliability is because its very forgiving, you can neglect to change filters / oil / even look at the engine for years on end and they STILL keep working reliably because theres nothing precision / precise about them.

Personally id avoid anything gm, utter shit to work on, cant stand those derv motors, and just hate them in general.!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Get a XUD. Phase 1 D turbo FTW!!
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2013, 09:36 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Like alot of cars, HDI's wont let you down if you LOOK after them, give them full maintenance, and take care for parts that only last so long. This is the case with many things really, the reason the XUD gets such the name for reliability is because its very forgiving, you can neglect to change filters / oil / even look at the engine for years on end and they STILL keep working reliably because theres nothing precision / precise about them.

Personally id avoid anything gm, utter shit to work on, cant stand those derv motors, and just hate them in general.!

well this is exactly what tom is looking for. and there is the reason an XUD will better for the job. and if you look after it now and again it will keep marching on!

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Small maintenance things aren't a problem for me really what matters most is the running costs of it
Thanks given by:
The mk4 astra with 1.7 Isuzu diesel engines are pretty bulletproof, vauxhall changed to their own engine half way through production and it was terrible.
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
the xud does sound perfect for what you want, just have to make sure the rest of the car is in serviceable condition
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Jamie is your sigma 5door actually running right yet?
Thanks given by:
Personally id go for a HDi, they don't go wrong as often as people claim especially if you stick to stage 1 power levels.

The XUDs are starting to get to the age where HGs are going and pumps are starting to be internally worn.
Thanks given by:
The newer astra vans use the 1.3 cdti - which is more powerful than the 1.7 lol.

But don't go for one to thrash....you'll kill the dmf and stuff quickly. Dunno what the other engines arte like but.the 1.9 is real simple to work on surprisingly - 5 minutes to remove the egr to clean it, turbo easy to remove....you'd have to remove the engine for that on the hdi. lol

Hdis are crap on fuel tbh, you have the smallest thrash or town drive and the mpg drops through the floor. Plus all the sensors are breaking these days, maf. Tps etc.

Personally id say an XUD is right for what you need.
Thanks given by:
First of all, forget the van idea, if all you're after is a cheap run around second car. As its a van, you'll need van insurance which will be more expensive then the equivalent car is. Personally, get a sub £500 xud and abuse it
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As ozone says, if youre going to get an astra get one with the isuzu lump in, the alternative is seriously shit

Tbh mate, if you want am hdi to abuse I might have the perfect candidate, pm me if youre interested.

Oh, and my personal preference would be hdi, but figured that went without saying haha!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I was sort of leaning to hdi just for ease and refinement tbh but I'll see what pops up
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2013, 01:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The newer astra vans use the 1.3 cdti - which is more powerful than the 1.7 lol.

But don't go for one to thrash....you'll kill the dmf and stuff quickly. Dunno what the other engines arte like but.the 1.9 is real simple to work on surprisingly - 5 minutes to remove the egr to clean it, turbo easy to remove....you'd have to remove the engine for that on the hdi. lol

Hdis are crap on fuel tbh, you have the smallest thrash or town drive and the mpg drops through the floor. Plus all the sensors are breaking these days, maf. Tps etc.

Personally id say an XUD is right for what you need.

Really?! I've never heard anyone say that. Jake used to get 50mpg + from his and it wasn't driven economically!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tom seriously your experience of HDI is invalid!!

I'd got for whichever your most comfortable with to repair and maintain, im sure you can drive an xud to return 40+mpg; i only get around 44mpg round town and thats driving however i feel Smile with stage 2 fuelling but im sure i could get around 48-52 on a run

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Aha hdi is good on fuel, i got 51 mpg from my xsara mixed driving and with a sticky front brake.
Thanks given by:
xud or hdi. not vaux!
Thanks given by:
Guys, both me and Sam fail/failed to get over 50mpg average from a HDi...thats not good for a 90bhp diesel engine lol.....especially a common rail! Also Cully gets like 40mpg from his lol....

Personally I don't think the HDi mpg does outweigh the cost of the broken sensors and the higher insurance over the XUD but thats just me. I also wouldn't own one as it'd have to be phase 1/2. And I got rid of my phase 2 because of the shit brakes, budget looks and lack of toys.

I really have been considering an XUD lately, but I just don't think I could put up with a phase 2 again. Each to thier own obviously though.
Thanks given by:
Just ph3 it then ton?
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2013, 09:14 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Just ph3 it then ton?

Effort, cost and insurance though....
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately mate, if you are after reliability you will not be getting this.

I say this not because of the cars.

But because of you Tongue

I know that you will end up putting on a massive blower and chasing power because that is who you are.

On a serious note, get a XUD.
Thanks given by:
Lol Carl it will be the replacement for the 6 so should have some power at least :p
Thanks given by:
Tom, Cully's right foot could be used to anchor ships and a complete list of what is/was wrong with yours and Sam's HDis is too big to fit on this forum. I thrash the hell out of mine daily with a very heavy stage 1 tune, and i'm averaging 48mpg. If i actually make an effort i can easily hit 60+ on a run, and that's before any of my more dubious mods.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Say what??? The 6 is going? The next owner is going seriously pissed off after how you treat it haha

Please keep the liquid metal on the brake when you sell it!
Thanks given by:
Paha we'll see
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2014 Corsa 1.3 CDTI 75 kept up with my Stage 1 HDI!? MY95 39 13,149 27-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Last Post: 7057sam
Question Astra 1.7 cdti help londondan86 13 6,156 25-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Last Post: stevieg