hdi on bio diesel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi on bio diesel
hi ive got a stage one mapped 306 hdi and have just found a place up the road from me selling bio diesel at £1 a liter so a good saving over normal diesel has any one run theres on bio or will it mess my car up
Thanks given by:
not a great idea...I know some do...

but highly likely to ruin pump seals
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
price up a set of injectors and a high pressure pump fitted
then make up you own mind if you want to risk it

i wouldnt
Thanks given by:
So HDi on biodiesel is a no no then? I know veg is a no but thought biodiesel was ok.

Need a 406 DT definately then Sad
Thanks given by:
Can you not get the pump and injector seals changed to be suitable for biodiesel?
Thanks given by:
no. knackers the pump internal plating too.

its why some have issues on cheap supermarket diesel as its high in biodiesel %
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
ah ok, not so simple then.

What about an R70 pump is that good with biodiesel?
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2013, 08:03 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: its why some have issues on cheap supermarket diesel as its high in biodiesel %

im 99% sure morrisons diesel killed a set of my injectors due to the high biodiesel content
Thanks given by:
surely it depends on the quality of biodiesel though.
a lot of home brewers biodiesel is much better quality and lower in the acids that kill most internal parts?
Thanks given by:
I thought it was because it didn't lubricate the pump as well, could you not get around this with some 2 stroke?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It doesnt work guys. end of.

modern hp pumps get up to rediculous pressures within 2turns of the pump....to avoid the pump killing itself the internals are coated in a substance that is kept highly secret.

biodiesel/veg etc ruin it.

if it was as simple as some two stroke oil I have a feeling a few other million engineers etc may have come up with the idea of doing it.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It does work, it works fine. As said above, the quality makes a big difference. If it destroyed HP pumps as quickly as you say piggy, everyone who uses supermarket fuel would have had to replace their fuel system by now, as most big retailers have at least 15% bio-diesel mix these days. If it didn't work, you wouldn't have massive distribution companies running their whole fleets on it.

Some people do put a dash of two-stroke in to help with it, whether it actually helps or not i couldn't tell you. A member i know on here has been running bio-diesel and a bit of two-stroke in their HDi for a fair old while without problems. Another member from .net ran it for years and his pump failed no earlier than expected.

There are pump seal replacement kits available, can't remember the name of the company that makes them, but with those you should be able to run pure bio indefinitely.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
its not just the seals, its the coating on the internals.

Why is there 1000s of modern diesels being scrapped, written off etc due to pump/unjector issues...a lot because of bio fuels mixed in with cheap diesel.

Its like veg oil through lucas...its guaranteed to fail...just a matter of in 5 miles, 50 miles or 5000.

some get lucky. most ruin their car
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Christ you chat some shit, if your such an expert its this magic coating that apparently bio diesel munches through.. As poodle said, its just really the seals that go as veg/bio eats through it faster than diesel would, hence the uprated seal replacement kits from places like diesel Bob.. Loads of people have used 2 stroke across the forums for years, I even remember seeing an official paper done on it by someone like bp stating that due to the ultra low sulfar the decreased lubrication on the HP pump caused greater wear and slightly rougher running but adding a tad of 2 stroke fixes that..

Morrison's diesel has 8% bio in it now, you don't see everyone's HP pumps spontantiously combusting do you?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've been running 100% for a while now, apart from the lumpy start (similar I presume to that of using veg in xuds) it's been fine. The pumps fine, the injectors are fine, it's all fine. Only problems was with the fpr but one quick clean through and a new fuel filter later and it's all good.

If anything the biodiesel is more lubricating, more so than 2 stroke if a report found on .net is to be belived.

I wouldnt run it on anything newer than the hdi, but the hdi itself has no apparent short comings with bio PROVIDED it has been made well
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2013, 10:51 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: surely it depends on the quality of biodiesel though.
a lot of home brewers biodiesel is much better quality and lower in the acids that kill most internal parts?

THIS^^^^

poor biodiesel manufacture leaves traces of potassium hydroxide/sodium hydroxide,methanol,Glycerin,water,soap,Animal fat

any of these items are bad in a CR diesel they either strip the system causing blockages or block the system with the solids

Biodiesel will lift paint that is how agressive it is

Pumped blended biodiesel at the forcourt it rated by a number system,
B100=100% biodiesel
B25=25% biodiesel
B5=5% biodiesel
most branded fuels are B2=2% most car manufacturer wont approve of use of fuels above B5=5% biodiesel
Thanks given by:
Morrisons is the only place I get my diesel to get my morrisons points lol
Thanks given by:
Problem is theres a lot of bad info available on the net, I mean my 15% figure came from a so-called professional website, but Cullys apparently got more accurate info. As such, all we can really go on is shared personal experience.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(13-03-2013, 08:48 AM)cully Wrote: Biodiesel will lift paint that is how agressive it is

Also turns floor sound deadening to mush , just so people know.

Tbh I'm going to keep using bio until the pump dies etc and if worse comes to worst I'll probs just drop a dt lump in and sell the hdi engine for parts

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
To be perfectly honest i dont believe all the scaremongering about bio
from reading, any car will run well made biodiesel.
Only problems is newer cars dont like it cos it plays up with the DPF systems
Hopefully in the near future ill start making my own Biodiesel, big outlay at first but worth the benefits imo
Already filtered waste veg oil and used in the xud with success so why not
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2013, 08:03 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: its why some have issues on cheap supermarket diesel as its high in biodiesel %

175000 miles in my hands on barely anything other than Tesco fuel here.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
The reason a lot of people have Injector pump issues(over here at least) is the amount of laundered poor quality fuel circulating.
Im pretty sure the same thing is going on over the pond, whether you believe it or not.
Most small fuel stations over here are handling laundered diesel, easily noticeable by poor mpg and rough running.
Problem is when they take the dye out of the diesel they take out the lubricating properties..
Thanks given by:
Its no hair off my back if everyone runs on bio/veg etc on their HP pumps...

all I am passing on is the information given to me a Bosch training HQ...a number of big wigs there werent even privvy to the magic coating name, formula etc.
If they werent coated in such, as I was taught, they wouldnt last very long at all due to wear rates. IE same pressure using similar coatings/metals in a xud9 pump would kill it almost instantly. What I been taught by da guys dat make em. Dats all

And if all modern diesels were all checked out for injector rates, leak off etc etc I rekon they would all show excessive wear rates if only run on bio/poor diesel...its just that those tests aint done...people dont notice slow reductions in mpg or performance etc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
so how about the bio with 2 stroke oil?
Thanks given by:
Perfectly fine to use provided it's good quality biodiesel, can test it a little bit by doing the bottle test.
Fill a 500ml coke bottle or whatever with the bio, leave overnight and see if it seperates into oil and water layers/ eats through the bottle

Thanks given by:
(13-03-2013, 08:59 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: Its no hair off my back if everyone runs on bio/veg etc on their HP pumps...

all I am passing on is the information given to me a Bosch training HQ...a number of big wigs there werent even privvy to the magic coating name, formula etc.
If they werent coated in such, as I was taught, they wouldnt last very long at all due to wear rates. IE same pressure using similar coatings/metals in a xud9 pump would kill it almost instantly. What I been taught by da guys dat make em. Dats all

And if all modern diesels were all checked out for injector rates, leak off etc etc I rekon they would all show excessive wear rates if only run on bio/poor diesel...its just that those tests aint done...people dont notice slow reductions in mpg or performance etc

Every time you replaced "th" with "d" your opinion mattered that little bit less to me
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-03-2013, 10:41 PM)Connor Wrote:
(13-03-2013, 08:59 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: Its no hair off my back if everyone runs on bio/veg etc on their HP pumps...

Every time you replaced "th" with "d" your opinion mattered that little bit less to me
bahahahaha dats right innit
Thanks given by: