S16 flat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S16 flat
I duno if anyone can help me out. My S16 seems to feel pretty flat till it gets to 4000 rpm and then it goes! It's just feels flat till it gets there.

Is this what they are like or might there be something wrong?

Any help and ideas much appreciated!
Thanks given by:
Clean the air + replace fuel filter?
Thanks given by:
Give a good service and then report back, services do a world of difference to these engines
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I gave it a full service when I put it on the road and only done 6000 miles since and I have given it another oil change 1000 miles ago and cam belt done about 500 miles ago.

It does seem to be since I done the cam belt but that bit just be me worrying.

I just wondered if this is what these engines are like cuz once it gets going it seem to go alright
Thanks given by:
Slightly miss timed?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't be cuz I used all the timing pins. I do wonder though. Might have to check
Thanks given by:
You still running the avac manifold??

Are the diaphrams opening correctly??
Thanks given by:
Yeah still got the standard manifold. I will have a look cheers
Thanks given by:
Check all the pipe work and that the actuators move when you rev the engine.

If the duel stage inlet isn't working then they do run very flat
Thanks given by:
Ideal cheers for the help. So it the actuators 1 on either end of the inlet right?

I been out and had a look and it seems like when I rev it they sometime move and some times don't. Any ideas why that would be?

Also I'm right on thinking they should move every time I rev the engine?
Thanks given by:
They should move at about 1250 rpm not sure after that

Check all the pipe work for cracks and splits
Thanks given by:
When they do move the move straight away when revving it up. When you say pipe work it the pipes that go to the actuator bits?
Thanks given by:
Yes. , you have pipe work under the cover with the logo on, t piece to split to each actuator.
Then a hose running across to a solenoid on the passenger side of the head
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks for the help mate. I will have a look tomorrow and let to know how I get on

Will rep you for the help when I get on a computer
Thanks given by:
If your still a member of the other 306 forum I wrote an article in the bible on how to check and adjust the system.
Thanks given by:
Any chance you could pm me a link Wink
Thanks given by:
If I had access to it I would copy it to this forum and get it stickied

I'm sure some on on here must still have acess
Thanks given by:
Do you have to be a paid member to access the bible do you know?
Thanks given by:
Ill PM you a copy swampy and you can upload it here if you like
Thanks given by:
I now have the file
When I'm on the PC later ill start a thread for some one to sticky
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the help guys!!
Thanks given by:
My bet is cam timing. Doesnt matter if you used pins. If the job wasnt done the proper method, it can move out slightly! Dont worry about it though. Despite what people say, you can get it a fair way out to the point they will barely run without doing damage. Trust me, im talking from experience thanks to a twat helping me lol.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Well I think it's to do with the avac system. I think it's just me worrying about the cam belt as I did it lol. If I find its not the avac system I will check the cam belt timing
Thanks given by:
Mine had a flat spot turned out to be the solonoid valve bought a new one from pug for £20 iirc been fine ever since

One way to tell if the solonoid is faulty it to swap the pipes round . Have you got a major flat spot between 3 and 4 k or 6 and 7k? If you do have either, swap the pipes around if a 3k flat spot moves to 6k and vice versa a new one is required.
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate. It seems to be flat up to 4k and then it's fine after that. I need to have a play tomorrow
Thanks given by:

This is what the solonoid looks like it is just under the vacum pump. hope this helps mate.
Thanks given by:
Cheers I will have a look tomorrow
Thanks given by:
diaphrams should open just about idle then close again at around 5.5k( I think).

Obv if they don't open at all then engine feels flat up to 5ish K
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the info bud!

Well I went to check that the pipe sucks when I rev it so went to take the pipe off and me being a little stupid tried to pull it off to hard and snapped the nipple off the diaphragm so I will need to take some off my spare engine now. Hopefully do that tomorrow night.

I did notice that when I rev it sometime the diaphragms open and other times they don't. Anyone with any ideas on that?
Thanks given by:
Id say that the solonoid is faulty.
Thanks given by: