airbag light??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
airbag light??
hey guys, my airbag light doesn't come on, ever.
guessing some clever sod has taken the bulb out to stop it flashing? is this a mot fail?

and why dont my indicators flash when i lock the car? the passenger loom looks ok
Thanks given by:
its only an mot fail if the airbag light is on/flashing permanently. if its not illuminated thats fine for the mot. could just be a blown bulb.

as for indicators not flashing on locking the car it could, like so many problems on peugeots, be an earth fault rather than damaged wiring. worth checking if it actually bothers you lol
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yep either bulb has blown or someones taken it out. It will fail if you mot it like this. Bang a bulb in there and see what happens. Could just be its blown!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 07:44 PM)Niall Wrote: Yep either bulb has blown or someones taken it out. It will fail if you mot it like this. Bang a bulb in there and see what happens. Could just be its blown!

The airbag light regulation was due to be enforced april 2012 but it was thrown out at the last minute.
You will not fail an mot for an airbag light however you may get an advisory for it.
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 08:03 PM)Oil-burner Wrote:
(23-01-2013, 07:44 PM)Niall Wrote: Yep either bulb has blown or someones taken it out. It will fail if you mot it like this. Bang a bulb in there and see what happens. Could just be its blown!

The airbag light regulation was due to be enforced april 2012 but it was thrown out at the last minute.
You will not fail an mot for an airbag light however you may get an advisory for it.

However it has come in in the 2013 mot regs which are in the process of being brought in as we speak so you probably will fail for it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 08:15 PM)Niall Wrote:

However it has come in in the 2013 mot regs which are in the process of being brought in as we speak so you probably will fail for it.

Just bridge the bulb to the abs light, thats what I did last year.

.... or you could fix it? Lol
Thanks given by:
Have you never noticed with modern cars that the bulbs all go out at different times? Normally only a split second but its noticeable. Theres a reason for that and thats so you cant do that.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 08:27 PM)Niall Wrote: Have you never noticed with modern cars that the bulbs all go out at different times? Normally only a split second but its noticeable. Theres a reason for that and thats so you cant do that.

My mot guy never mentioned it last year.

There is another way ive heard people talk about with a fuse or something.

Like the airbags go off anyway, I hit a parked car at 40mph full on in the dt and mine never went off! Lol saves buying new seats and shit tho!
Thanks given by:

True story, Tim said mine would fail if I didn't fix it when MYA's mot is due in April.

I'm going to be fitting my 2nd pair of pretensioners and airbag control unit in the hope that it solves it...so fingers crossed Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
whats this with indicators flashing when locking the car??

mine have never done that and the remote/CL work fine?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 08:25 PM)Oil-burner Wrote:
(23-01-2013, 08:03 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: The airbag light regulation was due to be enforced april 2012 but it was thrown out at the last minute.

Just bridge the bulb to the abs light, thats what I did last year.

.... or you could fix it? Lol

I've heard cully mention fitting a resistor in the plug under each seat instead of the pretensioner, says the light stays on then goes off..

But then again I could be wrong Smile

Thanks given by:
My air bag light randomly flashes, usually will start flashing when someone sits in the passenger seat or moves it... It went through an MOT in 2012 while it was flashing and they never said anything... But I do want to fix it... With it only sometimes going off, does that mean that the pre tensioners haven't fired and I won't need to replace them?
[Image: 306oc.jpg]
Thanks given by:
99% of the time, the fault is dodgy under seat plugs. Peugeot did have a recall on this back in 2000 where they just cut the plugs off and soldered them. Simple 5 minute fix and your pre tensioners and airbags should go off in a crash.

And oil burner, the airbags dont go off in every crash. There is a very strict set of actions that need to happen in the crash in order for the air bags to go off as sometimes they can do more harm than good.

(23-01-2013, 09:01 PM)MiiTCH Wrote: My air bag light randomly flashes, usually will start flashing when someone sits in the passenger seat or moves it... It went through an MOT in 2012 while it was flashing and they never said anything... But I do want to fix it... With it only sometimes going off, does that mean that the pre tensioners haven't fired and I won't need to replace them?

Correct. Its very easy to see if the pre tensioners have fired. Just look at the plastic sheathing around the steel cable that the seat belt plug is attached to. If its all crinkled up, its gone off. But if that was the case, the light would be on permanently and you would need a new air bag control module.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 09:02 PM)Niall Wrote: 99% of the time, the fault is dodgy under seat plugs. Peugeot did have a recall on this back in 2000 where they just cut the plugs off and soldered them. Simple 5 minute fix and your pre tensioners and airbags should go off in a crash.

And oil burner, the airbags dont go off in every crash. There is a very strict set of actions that need to happen in the crash in order for the air bags to go off as sometimes they can do more harm than good.

(23-01-2013, 09:01 PM)MiiTCH Wrote: My air bag light randomly flashes, usually will start flashing when someone sits in the passenger seat or moves it... It went through an MOT in 2012 while it was flashing and they never said anything... But I do want to fix it... With it only sometimes going off, does that mean that the pre tensioners haven't fired and I won't need to replace them?

Correct. Its very easy to see if the pre tensioners have fired. Just look at the plastic sheathing around the steel cable that the seat belt plug is attached to. If its all crinkled up, its gone off. But if that was the case, the light would be on permanently and you would need a new air bag control module.

Ahh that's good then Smile I changed my seats to some '6 half leathers and they were out an older model, my original seats had a red,orange and earth going into them, and my half leathers only have the red and orange... Does it matter if the earth is connected? I've tried messing around with the plugs and making the contacts inside smaller with a pin, this just made the light not come on as often, would I be best cutting the wires and crimping them together?
Thanks given by:
yeah just solder them mate. And no, i dont think the earth has to be connected. I think it was just more of a safety thing they added to stop the airbags going off by mistake.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Okay thanks, when I do it, I'd have to disconnect the battery, is there a chance that when I plug the battery back in the air bags could fire? I get scared messing around with the air bags go off because if they do then its going to cost ££££
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 09:02 PM)Niall Wrote: 99% of the time, the fault is dodgy under seat plugs. Peugeot did have a recall on this back in 2000 where they just cut the plugs off and soldered them. Simple 5 minute fix and your pre tensioners and airbags should go off in a crash.

As you know one of mine tensioners went off Niall, good job I got that control unit from puglove's car as well as the pre-tensioners Wink

Fingers crossed this stops my consistent airbag flashing light Smile

Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 09:26 PM)MiiTCH Wrote: Okay thanks, when I do it, I'd have to disconnect the battery, is there a chance that when I plug the battery back in the air bags could fire? I get scared messing around with the air bags go off because if they do then its going to cost ££££

No but once you have put the battery on, open the drivers door, put the window down, close the door, keys in and stand outside the car and start the car and watch for the lights to disappear. The chances of it going that badly wrong are very slim but you really dont want to be infront of an airbag if it goes off.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Airbag light on, other lights not coming on TULL3RZ 0 1,141 25-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Last Post: TULL3RZ
  Airbag Light Flashing RetroPug 17 3,735 15-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Last Post: RetroPug
  AIRBAG LIGHT thebluepearl 4 1,688 16-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Poodle