Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Planned head swap
#31
lmao
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
#32
4WayDiablo Wrote:Grant has competition it would appear

Competition? Hell he can join in
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#33
Niall Wrote:5. Do NOT turn the engine over without the head. You will lift the liners out and then it's all got to be taken apart to reseal them.

Remember, yours is a 1.8 ally block... XU10s are cast iron, they don't have liners, they're just a cast block with integral liners Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
#34
Ruan Wrote:
Niall Wrote:5. Do NOT turn the engine over without the head. You will lift the liners out and then it's all got to be taken apart to reseal them.

Remember, yours is a 1.8 ally block... XU10s are cast iron, they don't have liners, they're just a cast block with integral liners Wink

Ah I thought they still had liners!? Well you learn something everyday!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#35
Can I ask why would someone turn the engine over with the head removed?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#36
Matt Wrote:Can I ask why would someone turn the engine over with the head removed?

Because there cocks?! Don't know. Just saying.....don't!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#37
Because they're cast iron, the actual block material is fine to be used as a liner... So there's no "liner" as such, it's just a block with some holes in that happen to be useful for bores and the material is good, so you don't need a different material as a liner...

Makes them stronger between the bores and easier to machine - better for dealing with massive heat fluctuations, but much, much heavier and not as easy to get heat out of, but once you've machined them so much, the gap between the bores gets too small - whereas you can just replace your liners and carry on.

Diesels very rarely have liners because of the high sudden heat and pressure, which liners don't like, there is one - the PSA 1.4 N/A Diesel, hence it's terrible for popping gaskets and blowing liners and seals...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
#38
will a gti6 head gasket and head bolts be the same as the xsi?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#39
Matt, i've got a downpipe gasket kit you can have for what i paid for it. Still planning on doing it here?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...



#40
I will come and help if you need it and I'm free Smile
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#41
Poodle Wrote:Matt, i've got a downpipe gasket kit you can have for what i paid for it. Still planning on doing it here?

Win! Saves me buying another one Smile

And yeah can do it there if that's cool? Will be ordering all the parts on payday.
Maybe abit before.

Could we do it either the 30th or the 6th?

And Niall your expertise would be appreciated. If you can get down?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#42
Can't do either of them. Working Sad
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#43
You kidding? Sad maybe able to do a weekend. Either that or I'll call you when I get stuck haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#44
Feel free to ring me. If I can answer, I will.
I work weekdays and the odd weekend. Tvh what wih fcs 3 weekends away and I'm working 1, probably won't get down before fcs!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#45
Fair enough. Well I'm sure me and poodle can get this done Smile
Only thing I'm worried about I timing it up. Hopefully poodle is an expert with this haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#46
Matt Wrote:Fair enough. Well I'm sure me and poodle can get this done Smile
Only thing I'm worried about I timing it up. Hopefully poodle is an expert with this haha

It really is easy Matt. Unless you have fatt hands!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#47
Matt, you doing your '6 fanny mould then too?
[Image: k6f9Fk]


Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#48
Niall Wrote:
Matt Wrote:Fair enough. Well I'm sure me and poodle can get this done Smile
Only thing I'm worried about I timing it up. Hopefully poodle is an expert with this haha

It really is easy Matt. Unless you have fatt hands!

I has them Sad dammit.

And yeah Sam, thought as my head will be off will be the perfect time to get it done!

What are you doing on them Wednesday's?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#49
figured! im free on the 30th, got my uni presentation on the 6th tho. you doing it down your way?
[Image: k6f9Fk]


Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#50
Will be at poodles place near Southampton. I'm probably more likely to be doing it on the 30th providing that's okay with poodle.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#51
CAN ANYONE GET ME AN EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET?!?!?!

can't find one anywhere that isn't sold out
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#52
Matt just se the original one. Mine was metal and I just cleaned it up with some wd40 and p120. Job done!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#53
ok cool, if it's cool with poodle, i might head down to lend a hand/fit mine, tis only about an hour and half from mine, motorway cruuuuuise Smile
think i get paid that day too, whoop
[Image: k6f9Fk]


Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#54
Obey paid day after. This is gunna be a credit card build yooooo! Hahah
I'll give poodle a text in the Mormon and finalise/ask him if everythings okay
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#55
damn. i get paid on the 31st too. if i've the cash, ill be there if its all cool, if not.... ill do mine here, but at the same time... so its like id be there lol
[Image: k6f9Fk]


Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#56
Hahah come on down!!! Payday or not haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#57
hmmmm might have to.... hmm ~140 mile round trip... 4, maybe 5 gallons... ~22 litres... ~£30.... should be able to make that... Big Grin
[Image: k6f9Fk]


Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
#58
In mh best Peter griffin voice


C'maaaannnn
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#59
Haha meet at mine is it? :roll:

Matt, just landed myself a job so need to make sure i'm free, haven't got shifts sorted yet. Hopefully if they ask about the 30th and i can just say no, but we'll see.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...



#60
30 or 31 is good with me. So if either is good with you that will be awesome!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  s16 head swap with gti-6? Brashwoody 1 2,053 06-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Last Post: miles
  Rallye head swap Matt 14 9,328 15-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Niall
  Head swap Matt 10 5,788 19-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Niall

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)