306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Planned head swap - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XU Petrol Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Planned head swap (/showthread.php?tid=3603)

Pages: 1 2 3

Planned head swap - Matt - 20-05-2012

Right then, the head I've got has been reconned.

So I plan on using this lot

Head gasket http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 5018228669

Head bolts http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 3387566207

Already have a Peugeot cambelt, oil filter, oil a new mani and cat.

So couple of things

Is the '6 exhaust gasket the same as the xsi?
What else should I change while the heads off?
Are those two up there usable. Afaik fai are good?

This should hopefully put more confidence in driving to FCS lol

Going to service and change sump gasket at the same time I think

Re: Planned head swap - Niall - 20-05-2012

1. There is no sump gasket. Just sealant
2. Yes FAI stuff is good quality in my experience
3. The xsi exhaust gasket will be fine
4. Check the piston rings. Don't want to make the same mistake that I just did. Easy to get the pistons out once the heads off
5. Do NOT turn the engine over without the head. You will lift the liners out and then it's all got to be taken apart to reseal them.

Planned head swap - Jake - 20-05-2012

Niall Wrote:1. There is no sump gasket. Just sealant
4. Check the piston rings. Don't want to make the same mistake that I just did. Easy to get the pistons out once the heads off
5. Do NOT turn the engine over without the head. You will lift the liners out and then it's all got to be taken apart to reseal them.

I have seen a sump gasket before I'm sure... But instant gasket or similar would be fine.

Toxic-Jake Wrote:
Niall Wrote:1. There is no sump gasket. Just sealant

I have seen a sump gasket before I'm sure... But instant gasket or similar would be fine.

All the ones I've worked on didnt have but could be different for dervs?

Planned head swap - Jake - 20-05-2012

I might just be imagining things tbh, seem logical to put a gasket in there 'swell.

Good stuff I'll get that ordered then as both are fai. Headgasket kit comes with exhaust stuff too so that's all good.

The head has been recently done so dot think there will be much need. Will give the surfaces a bit of a sand and then gasket it up.

The sump I'll have to buy some sealant for then. Going to give it a scrape through.

Also anywhere I can buy the blue brown and green thermo sensors that arnt going to cost £ra*e.99p?

Green is easy to get from most places. Blue is only for the dials so don't worry and brown is pug only.

Difference in sensors engine dependant? Seen a few for dervs.

Only one to worry about is the green as that's the ECU one.

Yeah that's cool. Is it a different sensor for dervs? Do they have a different one to the petrol?

Re: Planned head swap - mark_airey - 20-05-2012

Personally I would be getting a Pyenne gasket or Elring had a bad experience with FAI gaskets twice and when I mentioned the problem to my local friendly engine shop without (mentioning the make) he responded with "gasket wasn't in a red, white & black packet was it? thats your problem, get a decent gasket!"

Just thought it was worth the mention but I know many others who have had no problem with them so....................*shrugs*

Struggling to find a decent gasket at an affordable price though.

Also what comes in a head gasket kit? And what will I need?
If its just a gasket I'll get it from ecp lol

I got a Corteo (sp?(original pug part)) gasket from gsf for 14 quid. Alternatively I've just fitted a payene gasket and that cost 16.

This? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 495&000173

Also Tongue

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 32b&000565

Will I need?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 9e4&000541

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 764&000541

And these? Or fai ones

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 68c&000488

Also going to pop these here for my future reference Smile

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 68c&000488

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 304&000325

Niall were did you get it all so cheap?

Matt Wrote:Niall were did you get it all so cheap?

Contacts mate! Wink

Dont skimp on important bits like HG, cambelt kit, water pump and head bolts.

The new head bolts I got this time were Payene and I preferred them because they use a female torx instead of a male torx to do up. Much easier!
Water pump I used a QH one. Not the best in the world but there good parts. That cost me about 30 quid on eBay.
Continental cambelt kit is about 65 quid and that's belt, tensioner, idler and a pretty sticker.
Pug want £45 for a HG but apparently there's none in the country and they have to come direct from pug, France which is a 2 week wait. (which isn't true because gsf got me a original pug one same day!
As said, Corteco make the original HGs (original one even had it written on) and these can be had for about 15-20 quid. The gasket is grey with green beading and comes in red packaging.

Think I'm pretty much going to get the parts which I listed in my last post. They seem a good balence between cost effective/quality parts Smile

Ecp exhaust gasket is out of stock though. Got to find a decent one of them now haha

Matt Wrote:Think I'm pretty much going to get the parts which I listed in my last post. They seem a good balence between cost effective/quality parts Smile

Ecp exhaust gasket is out of stock though. Got to find a decent one of them now haha

Once you've got it all, if you can get it to Curts (and he will let you of course) we could do it In a day.

Still don't understand why your doing it though!

Well I want to do my head gasket and cambelt anyway. Just to make sure my head gasket isn't gone/going.

And this head I got off poodle had been recently refurb'd and I got it cheap. Original plan was to strip it and rebuil it myself but as its already been done its silly not too Smile

And I don't have any weekends left so will be a week day that I make the start with this. Feel very confident with swapping everything, only thing I don't like is the timing!

Matt Wrote:Well I want to do my head gasket and cambelt anyway. Just to make sure my head gasket isn't gone/going.

And this head I got off poodle had been recently refurb'd and I got it cheap. Original plan was to strip it and rebuil it myself but as its already been done its silly not too Smile

And I don't have any weekends left so will be a week day that I make the start with this. Feel very confident with swapping everything, only thing I don't like is the timing!

Timing is actually very easy Matt. As I said just remember not to turn the engine over with the head off.
The cams lock with m6 bolts nicely and there is a nice locking hole in the crank pulley. Lock it all off and remove the belt then remove the head.
Replace the water pump whilst the heads off (top bolts are easier to get to!). Get some single sided blades and some brilo pads to clean up the block face. Head on (if it's timed up, be extremely careful as the open valves will sit stupidly close to the edge of the bore. If you don't put it on straight, you risk damaging the valves or HG) when fitting the head. It may be easier to remove the cams so all the valve are closed if your lifting the head on your self.
Oh and for god sake don't forget the spacer under the head bolt u der the master cylinder like I did otherwise you will break a big hole in the waterpump housing!

Rifht so, so far I've have got

Head gasket
Cambelt
Waterpump
Head bolts
Rocker gaskets
Exhaust mani gasket
Thermostat
Green sensor
Oil
Oil filter

Anything I've missed out the list of things I'll need.

Also heat wrap the exhaust with dei stuff or gti heat shields?

Niall Wrote:
Matt Wrote:Well I want to do my head gasket and cambelt anyway. Just to make sure my head gasket isn't gone/going.

Timing is actually very easy Matt. As I said just remember not to turn the engine over with the head off.
The cams lock with m6 bolts nicely and there is a nice locking hole in the crank pulley. Lock it all off and remove the belt then remove the head.
Replace the water pump whilst the heads off (top bolts are easier to get to!). Get some single sided blades and some brilo pads to clean up the block face. Head on (if it's timed up, be extremely careful as the open valves will sit stupidly close to the edge of the bore. If you don't put it on straight, you risk damaging the valves or HG) when fitting the head. It may be easier to remove the cams so all the valve are closed if your lifting the head on your self.
Oh and for god sake don't forget the spacer under the head bolt u der the master cylinder like I did otherwise you will break a big hole in the waterpump housing!

The head wasn't locked up before removal. So what.... I've got to remove cams and push valves closed? Do I need to measure the distance between cam and valve?

No just remove the cams (about 12-14 bolts on each cam) and remove it. Valves will remove them selfs. Bolt the head on and replace the cams (don't get them mixed up). Once there bolted down, put the cam pulleys on and using an 18mm spanner, spin them clock wise till the locking tab lines up. Do this for both (don't worry. The valves won't hit the pistons as the pistons lock half way down the bore). Oh and when you remove the cam, remove the cam seals and only replace them after the cam carrier is bolted down again. If you bolt the cam carriers down around them, you risk the chance of pinching them and damaging them. They just push in so nice and easy to do after.

Okay that's sweet mate. Good stuff.
Shame you work during the week. Could do with your expertise while info this.

Would say I would come down Friday night to help you out but would need somewhere dry and light.

Work Fridays too. I have every wednesday and Thursday off. Saturday 2nd? Wink

Matt Wrote:Work Fridays too. I have every wednesday and Thursday off. Saturday 2nd? Wink

I'm on call all of that weekend so can't mate Sad
Do it at fcs? Haha

Haha that is quite tempting. Haha if I can't get it done before then I recon I'll do that haha

Re: Planned head swap - 4WayDiablo - 20-05-2012

Grant has competition it would appear

4WayDiablo Wrote:Grant has competition it would appear

The sooner you contract some sort of horrible, embarrassing and highly funny disease, the better.......