Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum
So for all the guesses it's actually the oil pick up for the reverse sump so now I can flip that.
For the sex aid guesses you could probably insert it but I'm not sure what the gauze would feel like.

I also got round to starting to take out some of the interior to both clean out the truck and prepare it for cutting the tunnel out. That truck is so grubby in there, I'm actually gonna give it a clean with disinfectant as it's that bad. No picture but I think I might have a tiny leak in the roof somewhere or the top of the windscreen as there is 2 sets of drips on the dash board where it appears to be running off the ends of the sun visors. Something else to look at Sad

Also found the service book. One stamp in it's life LOL.

Thanks given by:
So for the benefit of Piggy here is my incredibly exciting 1 1/4" core plug blocking up the oil filler so I can fit the engine mounts.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=29365]

I've been out this afternoon removing more parts as I got home early from work and still had some daylight. Got the air compressor off and this pile of parts which includes alot of superfluous brackets, the crank breather hose as well as the big gearbox brackets which were a pain in the arse because of dissimilar metal corrosion of steel bolts in an alloy block.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=29366]

Started taking the exhaust manifold off and got the front 6 bolts out (with my biggest breaker bar, hammered on sockets and alot of plus gas) the rear 6 are so rounded they look dome headed and barely have a discernible face. Even heating the head to soften it to hammer on a socket couldn't get a socket on. Going to have to file/grind 2 sides of them flat onto a head I can get a spanner on or try welding nuts onto the end so that I can get them out. I need the exhaust manifold off so I can flip it to high mount the turbo and clear the steering column and also I need to get the studs out of it and measure up for the turbo adapter.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=29367]

Engine is starting to look smaller with all the bits off. Next step might well be flipping the sump.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=29368]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Must feel good to be getting on with stuff ThumbsUp Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
you need these

[Image: 81Y3Smy4YvL._SY355_.jpg]
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2017, 06:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: Must feel good to be getting on with stuff ThumbsUp Smile
It is man, little and often with this as just a couple of hours here and there keeps it marching along.

(08-01-2017, 06:29 PM)welshpug Wrote: you need these

[Image: 81Y3Smy4YvL._SY355_.jpg]
Ooh I do need them. I hadn't though about stud/bolt extractors.
Cheers mate, repped.
Thanks given by:
Irwin probably make the best, loads of various size kits available, probably need one of the larger ones if you're messing with small truck and 4x4 stuff Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Those manifold bolts towards the rear if the engine is from a lorry very rarely come out... Normally end up cutting them and extracting....But great news if they will!

What is manifold coming off for? Flipping it for top mount turbo ftw?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
+1 for those Irwin bolt removers, they get me out of the shit at work so often it's unreal! Well worth heating the offending item first though.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(08-01-2017, 06:57 PM)welshpug Wrote: Irwin probably make the best, loads of various size kits available, probably need one of the larger ones if you're messing with small truck and 4x4 stuff Big Grin
Cheers mate, they ain't cheap though and I currently only need the 10mm or 13mm heads.

(08-01-2017, 07:00 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Those manifold bolts towards the rear if the engine is from a lorry very rarely come out... Normally end up cutting them and extracting....But great news if they will!

What is manifold coming off for? Flipping it for top mount turbo ftw?
Deep joy, the heads are mullered, I assume it's something to do with how they sit in the truck and being more susceptible to getting wet than the fronts. They look like they'd be fairly easy to drill and tap if I did get the manifold off although obviously it's easier if I don't have to.

Oh and yeah flipping the manifold to high mount the turbo. Mainly cos I want it sticking out the bonnet cos I'm a massive chav?

(08-01-2017, 07:12 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: +1 for those Irwin bolt removers, they get me out of the shit at work so often it's unreal! Well worth heating the offending item first though.

Heat the head of the bolt to get the extractor to bite better or heat the actual head where the thread goes into it to get it to come out better? Or both? I'm gonna need another bottle of MAPP gas lol

Wish I'd of known the price of the exhaust manifold gaskets for this before starting with the fire as they are about £8 each and there is 6 of them and I managed to set fire to one already.
Thanks given by:
I would lend you my irwins Chris but post each way would be half the price of buying your own set!

Good progress, strong effort Smile
Thanks given by:
this thing is going to be so bloody awesome!!!
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2017, 08:50 PM)1616six Wrote: I would lend you my irwins Chris but post each way would be half the price of buying your own set!

Good progress, strong effort Smile
Cheers for the offer mate but I'm a tool whore anyway so new tools is all good in my opinion.

(08-01-2017, 09:16 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: this thing is going to be so bloody awesome!!!
It is indeed, there's an outside chance it might be drivable for the summer shows. It's highly unlikely but its possible.
Thanks given by:
You'll struggle to get enough heat into the head, I find just cooking the bolt seems to help a bit. If it doesn't go, you can always cook it then cool it with plusgas a couple of times, heat cycles should help to crack it off.. Be careful with the irwins though, if you round it off with those it's game over.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Can't you just give them a tap with a chisel?
Thanks given by:
If you have a little grinder with a worn 1mm cutting discs.

Make a slot at an angle across the nut (assuming they are stud n nut jobbies)...this should release the tension in it...get heat in there and allow you to smash a socket on it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
need to get it as hot as possible imo

anyone you can borrow an oxy torch off?
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2017, 08:36 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: You'll struggle to get enough heat into the head, I find just cooking the bolt seems to help a bit. If it doesn't go, you can always cook it then cool it with plusgas a couple of times, heat cycles should help to crack it off.. Be careful with the irwins though, if you round it off with those it's game over.
No the exhaust flanges on the head actually stand off away from the main block of the head so you can get most of the way around them and behind them with the gas.

(09-01-2017, 08:38 AM)tigerstyle Wrote: Can't you just give them a tap with a chisel?
They are so domed I think I'd struggle to get enough purchase and with the fact I've had to use my big breaker bar on the ones that actually have heads says I'm not gonna get enough force with the hammer and chisel.

(09-01-2017, 08:41 AM)Piggy Wrote: If you have a little grinder with a worn 1mm cutting discs.

Make a slot at an angle across the nut (assuming they are stud n nut jobbies)...this should release the tension in it...get heat in there and allow you to smash a socket on it
Nope, they are all actual bolts, if they were nuts I'd of had them off by now.

(09-01-2017, 08:58 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: need to get it as hot as possible imo

anyone you can borrow an oxy torch off?
I don't, I have been tempted by an oxy/mapp set up for a while but it's £150 I don'e want to spend on it. This is the kit for info https://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/Weld...Kit-2.html
MAPP on it's own isn't far off oxy really
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2017, 05:31 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 08:38 AM)tigerstyle Wrote: Can't you just give them a tap with a chisel?
They are so domed I think I'd struggle to get enough purchase and with the fact I've had to use my big breaker bar on the ones that actually have heads says I'm not gonna get enough force with the hammer and chisel.
That's kind of the opposite train of logic to how a hammer and chisel actually work, immense force is applied at the tip of the chisel. way more than your breaker bar, maybe even thousand of times more force. I suggest you try it. 
But sounds like you might cause damage elsewhere to the engine if you slip, so yeah, understand why you are being careful. 
Photo?
Thanks given by:
With the Irwin extractors, there is 2 different sets with different sizes so just keep that in mind. IDK why they don't just sell them all as one, mine came in a case with spaces for the others that I still have to buy.
Thanks given by:
because they get quite expensive if you buy all of them and depending on your usual area of work probably wont need one of the two sets.
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2017, 05:55 PM)tigerstyle Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 05:31 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
That's kind of the opposite train of logic to how a hammer and chisel actually work, immense force is applied at the tip of the chisel. way more than your breaker bar, maybe even thousand of times more force. I suggest you try it. 
But sounds like you might cause damage elsewhere to the engine if you slip, so yeah, understand why you are being careful. 
Photo?

This, i've got all sorts of very tight and broken stuff out with a hammer and chisel before when all else has failed. There is a knack to it, maybe have a look on youtube if it isn't working for you.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Any updates dum dum
Thanks given by:
Hows this project coming along Dum Dum? Cant wait to see it finished!
Thanks given by:
Yeah man fair point. Its been a while. Nice to have another running cummins on here Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
It's dead and gone.
Thanks given by:
Serious? But this was going to be such a great project.
Thanks given by:
Dude really. This was gonna be epic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
this is the most upset i have been about anything ever.*
Thanks given by:
Dun dun dun.. another one bites the dust
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2017, 09:29 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Dum dum dum.. another one bites the dust

EFA
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project e46 v8 scratch that s14 vhate drift car xudlingo 34 13,061 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Daze's 400bhp Nissan Silvia drift car Dazecoop 45 18,212 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Dazecoop
  The Landrover Cummins (12v 6BT) Conversion darrenjlobb 76 34,219 29-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy