Keep 306 HDI or buy Fabia VRS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep 306 HDI or buy Fabia VRS
Hi all
Now that Fabia VRS 130 TDI's are now around the £1500 mark, and my current expenditure to this day on the 306 is a bit scary, I am considering the Fabia. What do people think? Seem to be reliable, built much better, still as good on fuel and map very well (compared to a 306 hdi anyway for a stage 1)
Cheers
Thanks given by:
Wrong forum for that question lol...try asking on the VRS forum! Tongue

You already know my thoughts on VAG and 1.9PDs. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2016, 08:55 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Wrong forum for that question lol...try asking on the VRS forum! Tongue

You already know my thoughts on VAG and 1.9PDs. Big Grin

Haha just wanted more realistic unbiased opinions, want something smoother and less rattly to drive which is similar haha, dirty boy Tom Tongue and you hate them don't you Tom Wink lol
Thanks given by:
You want an unbiased opinion about getting rid of a 306 on a 306 forum? That's gonna go well. Wink
Thanks given by:
An opinion on the pros and cons of both cars Tom haha Smile
Thanks given by:
f*ck the vrs
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I faced this same dilemma and came out with a megane dci 175, better all round than a fabia and they are the same money.

Although for modifying the fabia is probably better as theres so much off the shelf stuff available...

but in contrast a stage1 map on the megane is all you need for a smooth and reliable 210bhp daily driver rather than some smokey and loud fabia that will be constantly breaking down at that stage 2+ kinda power.

I have alot of friends with fabias and after driving my meg they wished they hadnt wasted their money. says it all for me really Smile

One here in gateshead in red (rare) and with the rare optional leather recaros (£500 too buy second hand still!) for £2450.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-RENAULT-M...SwlfxXGT0d
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Meh... £400. 2.0hdi 206 stage1 feels better than any cheap vrs imho.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2016, 11:06 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: I faced this same dilemma and came out with a megane dci 175, better all round than a fabia and they are the same money.

Although for modifying the fabia is probably better as theres so much off the shelf stuff available...

but in contrast a stage1 map on the megane is all you need for a smooth and reliable 210bhp daily driver rather than some smokey and loud fabia that will be constantly breaking down at that stage 2+ kinda power.

I have alot of friends with fabias and after driving my meg they wished they hadnt wasted their money. says it all for me really Smile

One here in gateshead in red (rare) and with the rare optional leather recaros (£500 too buy second hand still!) for £2450.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-RENAULT-M...SwlfxXGT0d

Want to move on from French build quality etc and only have a budget of £1500 really, that red megane is about 30 mins awauy from me funnily enough, like the exterior looks of the megane but not a fan of the dash etc, so a bit out of my budget, those leather recaros wont come with the car he says haha
But yeah the fabia seem to be very well built and as quick/quicker than the megane and more reliable, if I had the dosh id certainly look into the megane though Smile Only interested in reliable stage 1 fabia power around the 170/300 mark to save clutch and turbo, will be a revelation compared to a stage 1 HDI....

(18-06-2016, 11:10 AM)Piggy Wrote: Meh... £400. 2.0hdi 206 stage1 feels better than any cheap vrs imho.

Wouldn't call a 206 much of an upgrade tbh, 306 rated the better car and more reliable, wouldn't swap my 306 for a 206 which is only a few years newer which will have similar problems, already got a stage 1 hdi 306 so wouldn't swap for a 206, have thought about it but its not worth it imo Smile
Thanks given by:
I've had a Fabia vRS. It was only 3 years old when I had it, bought from a main dealer just out of warranty. It WAS modified but wouldn't call it the most reliable thing ever, and the handling is woeful. 

However I still too this day consider it my "best car". I really did love it and still miss it. 

Is it an upgrade a 306? Most definitely, it's another world for refinement, the power delivery is all different, the potential for upgrades is almost limitless, it's a skoda so it's a bit different, the air conditioning will work... The community on briskoda is good too.
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Cheers Orta, sounds like you enjoyed yours anyway, yes on Briskoda myself, how different is the power? just much smoother im guessing? As said would only be going for a stage 1 and leaving it at that. Would be nice to have working aircon haha.
Thanks given by:
big rear arb and fresh dampers fixes the handling.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
VNT boost gives a completely different drive to old tech wastegate boost. Earlier and longer powerband, once you go VNT you can't go back though. Wink
Thanks given by:
Have heard an RARB from jabbasport or another company does improve the handling massively, know it wont handle as nicely as the 306, sounds good to me Tom Tongue Driven a few VNT's, none with that much more power than the HDI though, just doesn't have that kick in acceleration the HDI does, but they do seem a lot smoother yes, which is what I want.
Thanks given by:
If you want a kick half way through the rev range you need something old and laggy like a td04. Wink.
Thanks given by:
Do you have to get a diesel?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
i just drove a 9-3 TiD sport wagon, de-dpf'd and a map, afaik it'll be 190 bhp now.

£500 plus the map, 07 reg, 118k miles.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
My furby made 179bhp on a stage 1, was a beast. Wheel spin in 3rd gear...
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Id look at alfa 156 2.4s.. , mines on 201k now, had it since 170 and its never broken down, 200bhp for stage one and under 1k..

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, had a decent drive out in the 306 tonight on all roads, when im not driving the car I always look at other cars, but after driving it and giving it a good hammer in each gear and on the bends, it makes me love it again, puts a beaming smile on your face when keeping up with newer cars and the owners being pretty shocked, so its staying for the moment, any fabias under 2k are going to have problems as are any other cars really, cant beat a good old simple reliable 306 HDI!
Thanks given by:
I am toying with the idea of moving on, I am looking at land rover defender 90 like what my dad has, but we will see what happens.
Thanks given by:
Fabia VRS for £1500... Don't bother. Those were £2000 around 5 years ago. On that price, buy something newer!

The only reason the Fabia gives better stage 1 power is the intercooler...they have one, the hdi doesn't.

While the VRS might have a better turbo, it has a worse fuel system, there is a reason all car manufacturers use common rail, it is far more efficient and can gain more power due to the fine control of fuel.

Handling wise, the 306 is always going to be hard to beat. There's plenty of cars that are quicker around a bend but not many gives as much satisfaction.

Upper and lower strut braces on the 306 transforms the handling, not only does it make the steering more precise, I found mine to be more comfortable over rough surfaces too. If you want a quieter car for cruising in, sound deaden the door cards, roof and boot with the 3mm self adhesive underlayer (£30 for a roll that's enough to do 2 cars)
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't say the PD fuel system is worse... Worse for emissions yeah, which is why they can't use it anymore, but power and economy the 1.9PD wins over 2.0HDi any day! 1.9PD still wins over 1.6HDi in both of those areas...

Also what a lot are missing with BHP figures here (it's a diesel, who cares!?) is the torque figure...look at the torque from a stage 1 PD180...I don't know why but those engines manage tonnes of torque really easily!

I still haven't had anything as torquey since the Golf...
Thanks given by:
How much torque?
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Edit - It's about 380Nm on a safe stage 1 iirc, Celtic estimate 400Nm on a stage 1, I have seen 425Nm s1 but can't remember where now.
Thanks given by:
Lol so not that torquey really. Volvo has 400nm as standard
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
dw10?
Thanks given by:
No, newer 5 pot 2.0 l
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(19-06-2016, 07:14 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I wouldn't say the PD fuel system is worse...  Worse for emissions yeah, which is why they can't use it anymore, but power and economy the 1.9PD wins over 2.0HDi any day!  1.9PD still wins over 1.6HDi in both of those areas...

Also what a lot are missing with BHP figures here (it's a diesel, who cares!?) is the torque figure...look at the torque from a stage 1 PD180...I don't know why but those engines manage tonnes of torque really easily!

I still haven't had anything as torquey since the Golf...

Unless you're deaf, the PD is a sack of crap in comparison... They're rougher than XUDs imho, their delivery is way too harsh and PD is realistically no better than a rotary pump, it's only advantage is more pressure...

VNT does give you a wider powerband, it's not all about torque, it's all to do with how good the delivery is... Spend what you would getting a Fabia on changing out the turbo for a VNT unit on a HDi and it'll absolutely spank a PD in terms of delivery... And not sound like a the contents of Halfords in a washing machine.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Just been looking at the problems the pd engines have... lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fabia Vrs MY95 26 4,175 12-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  My fabia vrs tim 306td 31 8,000 15-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Last Post: WILL1000