Job Hunt and Health Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunt and Health Issues
Just get a proper xud. Turbos make them more efficient. Run veg. Job done. Easy money.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 07:32 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 09:45 PM)lolsteve Wrote: You can deal with scrapyard people 

Idea, what about a job in a scrapyard?

I'd probably like that tbh, theres something calming about the potential danger everywhere at a scrapyard with very little H&S...but none local lol. Be a 30 mile each way commute to the decent one. Sad

(02-08-2015, 07:43 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Just get a proper xud. Turbos make them more efficient. Run veg. Job done. Easy money.

I was meaning late 106/Saxo/AX NAD, not the thirsty 306 NAD! lol 306 would cost more to tax and insure than the Focus as well.
Thanks given by:
just out of interest/nosey, what skills do you have? Obv, cars, but what else do you, or can you turn your hand to? Appliance repairs perhaps?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 09:36 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: just out of interest/nosey, what skills do you have? Obv, cars, but what else do you, or can you turn your hand to? Appliance repairs perhaps?

I like where you're going with that. Could do what Cully did with the tv's.

Or computer repair as most of it is getting rid of viruses for thick people.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 09:36 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: just out of interest/nosey, what skills do you have? Obv, cars, but what else do you, or can you turn your hand to? Appliance repairs perhaps?

I'll give anything a go once, done various DIY/handyman things for myself, parents and grand parents over the years....but I'm still yet to find anything I'm actually good at though! I'm not all that good at cars either tbf, any of the longer term members will probably vouch for that. lol

I can't do electronic things, don't have enough patience, steady hand or hand eye coordination to be soldering stuff. And I don't have any knowledge of software or code or anything like that.
Thanks given by:
Serious one - you seem handy enough with computers? I'm talking you don't need to be writing Windows 11 - but simply fixing old ladies computers, not kidding, there is a HUGE market for it.

Most of the time it's like, old lady has managed to forget her password for her email or needs adobe reader installed or some shit, you'd be amazed how much work there is if you put up an advert. It will require you to take a phone call (or just get an answering machine..?) and then you can call back - that way you're in charge of the conversation and can make it ultra quick. Or yes, using google to get rid of Viruses or just reinstall Windows for them.

If you get a reputation for being reliable and friendly and can just give brief explanations to people of how to just use their email or whatever, word WILL get round...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 07:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote:

I'd probably like that tbh, theres something calming about the potential danger everywhere at a scrapyard with very little H&S...but none local lol.  Be a 30 mile each way commute to the decent one.  Sad

(02-08-2015, 07:43 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Just get a proper xud. Turbos make them more efficient. Run veg. Job done. Easy money.

I was meaning late 106/Saxo/AX NAD, not the thirsty 306 NAD! lol  306 would cost more to tax and insure than the Focus as well.

I drive 40 miles each way to work in a scrapyard in my DMF and DPF equipped french car and have little problem doing so.

You gotta give things a chance tom rather than just think of reasons why, think why not! Get a can do attitude on the go and go see if they want a dismantler at the scrapyard. Smile even if you only last a week you will of given it a go!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 09:38 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(02-08-2015, 07:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote:

I'd probably like that tbh, theres something calming about the potential danger everywhere at a scrapyard with very little H&S...but none local lol.  Be a 30 mile each way commute to the decent one.  Sad

I was meaning late 106/Saxo/AX NAD, not the thirsty 306 NAD! lol  306 would cost more to tax and insure than the Focus as well.

I drive 40 miles each way to work in a scrapyard in my DMF and DPF equipped french car and have little problem doing so.

You gotta give things a chance tom rather than just think of reasons why, think why not! Get a can do attitude on the go and go see if they want a dismantler at the scrapyard. Smile even if you only last a week you will of given it a go!

You've crossed 2 replies there lol!! DPF and DMF would suffer doing short, stop start journeys as a local delivery driver, hence thinking about a 2nd car for that purpose.

As for the 30 mile away scrap yard, distance is an issue due to my 'digestive' problems. I make twice as many trips to that yard than I actually complete currently! Really need something local at least to start with.

I do agree with you though, I keep over-thinking things and almost persuading myself out of something without even realising it! I'm hopefully going to the jobcentre this afternoon, possibly via a local takeaway or two. Paying for my day out yesterday currently though. Sad
Thanks given by:
You seemed absolutely fine yesterday Tom! Well done for getting out!
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 09:56 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: You seemed absolutely fine yesterday Tom! Well done for getting out!

That's good to know... I learned a long time ago how to keep up the calm exterior regardless of what's going on inside. Wink Being honest I didn't feel great at all, but I did enjoy the day despite that and really that's what matters. Smile

Unfortunately I came home and had hot dogs on a very empty stomach, that didn't end so well and am still paying for it now. lol
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 09:12 PM)Ruan Wrote: Serious one - you seem handy enough with computers? I'm talking you don't need to be writing Windows 11 - but simply fixing old ladies computers, not kidding, there is a HUGE market for it.

Most of the time it's like, old lady has managed to forget her password for her email or needs adobe reader installed or some shit, you'd be amazed how much work there is if you put up an advert. It will require you to take a phone call (or just get an answering machine..?) and then you can call back - that way you're in charge of the conversation and can make it ultra quick. Or yes, using google to get rid of Viruses or just reinstall Windows for them.

If you get a reputation for being reliable and friendly and can just give brief explanations to people of how to just use their email or whatever, word WILL get round...

Even I have considered this tom. People seem to be completely thick with computers. Especially in suffolk where the population is aging! Ive earnt £60 just off a neighbours wifi driver continuously needing to be reinstalled. And thats just a friendly £20 each time. If you charged £40+ a call out within a radius of where you live then youd be onto money and you can always walk away from hard jobs. 

As everyone has said its mostly viruses which either you fix by updating their AV or by installing windows!
Thanks given by:
You work in computer stuff though, of course it seems easy to you! I have a GCSE in IT on XP...

However I can google and most fixes seem to be found there lol...but then why would someone pay when they could just google it themselves?

I also wouldn't know how to go about being my own business, who you have to tell, how to do tax and presumably would need insurance in case I bricked someones PC. Confused I'd rather just be told what to do and let someone else with that kind of thing lol. Also, I guess I'm not allowed to run a business from a rented place, but does that still count when you're travelling for the work?
Thanks given by:
You're over complicating it.
Thanks given by:
I'd rather overcomplicate it than find out I'm accidentally in breach of the tenancy rules running an illegal business and avoiding tax... lol
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 10:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote: You work in computer stuff though, of course it seems easy to you!  I have a GCSE in IT on XP...

However I can google and most fixes seem to be found there lol...but then why would someone pay when they could just google it themselves?

I also wouldn't know how to go about being my own business, who you have to tell, how to do tax and presumably would need insurance in case I bricked someones PC. Confused  I'd rather just be told what to do and let someone else with that kind of thing lol.  Also, I guess I'm not allowed to run a business from a rented place, but does that still count when you're travelling for the work?

Because people don't know how to google stuff/perform the repairs. It's like saying why don't people perform their own oil change when oil is available in the shops.
If it's a temp thing don't worry about setting stuff up for now. Think about if it you decide to continue it on for a longer period of time i.e after a few months 
You'll never brick a PC. Worked on so many computers over the years (mine and ones I built for friends) and never have they bricked or gotten to a state where you can't save them. the only issues have been from defective hardware but thats when buildings new ones not fiddling with working ones 
That whole no business from a rented place just means no filling the place with stuff and having people coming and going like a shop etc. 
Could also make extra money selling "upgrades" such as more ram or a larger hard drive
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 10:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote: You work in computer stuff though, of course it seems easy to you!  I have a GCSE in IT on XP...

I also wouldn't know how to go about being my own business, who you have to tell, how to do tax and presumably would need insurance in case I bricked someones PC. Confused  I'd rather just be told what to do and let someone else with that kind of thing lol.  Also, I guess I'm not allowed to run a business from a rented place, but does that still count when you're travelling for the work?

but there was a time when i didnt? people dont know how to google things. Youre sitting in the county with the oldest age. People just dont know how or where to even begin. Just opening a browser is hard enough!

you need to get people to sign a disclaimer. You should end up bricking their pc unless youre messing with hardware, bios, or operating system files. Even if you do brick it its likely the files will survive but the OS wont boot. In which case you stick in a new HDD  with windows and then access the old HDD and copy everything back across.
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 11:52 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Because people don't know how to google stuff/perform the repairs. It's like saying why don't people perform their own oil change when oil is available in the shops.

Not at all, oil changes require jack, stands, able body to get under the car, physical strength, somewhere to dispose of the oil etc...

This is like saying why don't people change their own wiper blades when they're available in shops...which is a good question...why don't they? lol Always makes me wonder when I see someone throwing money at Halfords to have them changed.

That all sounds quite complicated tbh. Confused Are you sure it's legal to do something like that without telling someone?

I wouldn't know where to start with pricing or advertising or anything, how do you even advertise to old people!?

I'm panicking about this already and its only an idea! :facepalm: Anyone fancy setting up a remote business and I'll do the practical part? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Ads up in post offices and coops and tescos etc. THey all have ad boards somewhere. Listings in the paper.

£5 call out increasing to £10 depending on distance. Then like £20 an hour or whatever. Add 20% on to whatever things you have to buy.
Thanks given by:
Okay wiper are a better example.

Ads in papers would be good, gumtree, posters on lamposts. You have time so why not use it to set up the advertising, create a USB stick/CD with all the programs you think you'll need so you don't have to rely on downloading once you're at the clients. Removes something to worry about if you have all you need with you.
You don't have to take every client either, if you dont want to do it then you just say "im booked up for the next couple of weeks" or whatever so you can be picky and just do old people if that would help keep you calm.

In regards to tax and stuff, if it'll help you put you mind at rest just keep a log of what you've done/earned and if it does turn into something larger then you can sort it all out then. If it's just a few jobs then no one is going to come knocking
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Tom I don't know the exact tax details but as long as you stop claiming JSA when you start getting work and keep records then tell the tax man at the end of the year and do a tax return then you'll probably be OK

you have to earn over £40k before you have to pay more than the basic 20% tax and 12% NI so if you save a third of everything you take then you'll probably be OK and you can pay yourself expenses like fuel and car maintenence.
Thanks given by:
I can't claim JSA anyway, so don't need to stop that...

I hadn't realised it was as much as a third I'd lose to tax? Any idea what the lower limit is as I don't remember paying any tax when I was working part time at a supermarket?
Thanks given by:
Single man doesn't pay tax til 10,600 now.

Example You have £35,000 of taxable income and you get the standard Personal Allowance of £10,600. You pay basic rate tax at 20% on £24,400 (£35,000 minus £10,600).
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, that makes sense. Doubt I'd be over £10,600 anyway tbh!
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 07:32 PM)C2K Wrote: Single man doesn't pay tax til 10,600 now.

Example You have £35,000 of taxable income and you get the standard Personal Allowance of £10,600. You pay basic rate tax at 20% on £24,400 (£35,000 minus £10,600).

This
Plus being self employed, there are many ways to legally avoid tax payments, mostly using your income to re invest in your business, claiming tax on fuel to drive to customers houses, car maintenance etc.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hey Tom - Been reading your posts on/off for a bit, but please excuse me if I missed this, did you ever go to the doctors in the end?

The reason I ask, I was getting serious problems with my stomach (gut-rot). I didn't think much about it at the time, just me eating badly. I ended up going to the GP's for other reasons, but spoke to my Doc about the symptoms I was having. The Doc ended up prescribing two sets of tablets (one for the IBS and the other for the constant acid-reflux), plus we worked up a food diary to make note of what upsets my innards the most.

Both set of tablets helped a lot to start with, but more importantly the food diary. What effects me the most might not be the same, but my main three culprits are; cheap pasta ready made meals, apple skin and milk/cereal.

Not the most obvious foods?!?
Currently I only take one IBS tablet per day, and am much, much happier for it (my stomach thanks me).

Ohhh and it's any help, additionally I'm on the max dosage of anti-depressants, one hormone tablet and a minimum of two injections per day. Some days I feel like a human pincushion with the amount of blood tests and injections I have to do.

If you haven't been to the GP's I would highly recommend going.

As for mentioning it on your CV - No!
Your CV is tailored to each job you apply for, highlighting what skill-set you have for that position.
I'd mentioning it in passing on your last interview, waving it off as a mild inconvenience to yourself and not others.

Be good!
--Mark
Thanks given by:
Cheers Mark, it seems you're pretty unlucky with health, more so than me lol!

Totally honest, no I haven't been to the GP about this recently. I haven't even joined a new surgery since moving, it doesn't help that my local is listed as one of the worst surgeries with less than 50% recommending it, compared to around 85% recommending the majority on the NHS site. I have various problems, both physical and mental, most of which are kept to myself and not on here, that I really need pro help with and should've done many years ago. But it's got past the point where it's overwhelmed me and I can't work out which should be prioritised...I also have a massive fear/phobia of anything medical which puts me off going, even being in the waiting room is more than I can deal with.

The docs wouldn't diagnose me with IBS without doing blood tests...and there's no f*cking way I'm being poked with a needle!! I also can't take any meds because the OCD won't allow me to risk contaminating myself and the potential side effects of that. I know that probably all sounds daft to most people lol! So really I just end up going round in circles, knowing I can't be helped while my brain is creating certain barriers...something does need to be done...but how, what and when is the question...and one which I just can't answer atm. I honestly thought when I'd moved out I'd be able to sort my health issues a bit easier, but that hasn't happened yet. Though that said, moving has massively changed my overall mood, while I'm still getting frequent anxiety, I'm finding it much easier to deal with and I'm not getting the real deep depression with it that I was before, I'd had that since school! Just goes to show the difference that environment/surroundings can make without any medical input.

As for the food diary, I have tried it before but never found anything that seemed to definitely cause me problems, though I do avoid a few things that I believe caused me issues in the past. I can eat the same thing twice in a week and be fine the first time but really suffer the next for example. It seems the biggest triggers for me are anticipating stress (when I've planned something 'stressful' to do, which is more or less every day now lol) and eating on an empty stomach after having an earlier 'bowel evacuation'. Its also partly down to the OCD, as daft as it sounds I've had a fear of sh*tting myself in public for a long while and forced myself to 'clear out' every day before leaving for school, I don't know whether years of doing that caused any long term issues, but I still do it now, I cant leave until I feel empty, so in a way I kinda like getting an episode first thing in the morning. lol

Sorry that's turned into a bit of an essay, but it's things Ive been thinking about constantly without an outlet lol. lol
Thanks given by:
Chap, I do feel for you and can certainly understand some of your anxiety.

haha..my health is a joke! Was diagnosed with a late onset of type 1 diabetes at the age of 33 - If I ever get my arse into gear and come to a meet you'll see I'm not a big lad. The doctors took about a year to fully diagnose me with a fairly rare form of genetic based.
6 years on and I find its still an up hill battle, hypos galore last week with me sitting at my desk shaking so much because I'm lacking glucose but can't walk to get sugar down my neck.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do things that you're not wanting to do, but in your mind set you know it'll help.
I said no to the anti-depressants for months and months before I finally agreed to a course, while I do hate them, they have calmed me down were a fluffy psychiatrist (I've had four) have left me feeling like banging my head against a wall. - Different strokes for different folks - You won't know until you try Wink

lol if you want a giggle join me on Thursday - Gotta have my bloods taken and i know for a fact I'll be flat on my back, out for the count within a minute or two...and that's without the nurse coming anywhere near me with a needle. Wink

Doc's use to prescribe diazepam to calm me down before having my bloods done - It all depends on the person that takes them. I've point blank said no to some nurses before because I've not liked them.

That said if you ever fancy shooting the breeze gimme a pm Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 07:55 PM)Niall Wrote:
(03-08-2015, 07:32 PM)C2K Wrote: Single man doesn't pay tax til 10,600 now.

This
Plus being self employed, there are many ways to legally avoid tax payments, mostly using your income to re invest in your business, claiming tax on fuel to drive to customers houses, car maintenance etc.

f*ck yeah 

My old man a good one for this,new van and laptop later guess who's legally avoid tax lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
So I've been thinking about this non-stop last few days!

I really don't know enough about PC repair to do that, I know it seems easy to some of you though. But I was wondering about mobile vehicle diagnostics? I don't think there's any certificates you need to do it. And I already do it for free/a drink for anyone local that I see struggling on FB/forums.

If I just offered a basic service of removing an EML and diagnosing the fault for half the price the dealers would charge, I reckon it'd work well? If it turns out to be something simple (coilpack causing misfire for example), I could even suggest I purchased and changed the part.

Prices something like £5 call out within Ipswich/Felixstowe area. £20 to extinguish EML and diagnose fault (write the code and text on business card for the customer). No charge if it can't be diagnosed/isn't compatible with my diag machine. £20 an hour to replace easy parts, having them sign a disclaimer first.

Would that work? Have I overlooked anything? Hardest part would be contact, but if people could text or leave a message I suppose that's a reasonable compromise.
Thanks given by:
Good idea, but make it £10 call out.
Thanks given by: 1616six

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motorsport/Automotive Engineering Job Hunt Kezzieboy 29 6,418 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3
  At Least i have my health... Ben Jay 40 6,858 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Matt
  Puffin dies after wandering into sexual health clinic. Ruan 9 3,346 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Eeyore