Job Hunt and Health Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunt and Health Issues
Hi guys,

Ok well you all know I have some 'issues', but I never made my previous employer aware of this which eventually caused me big problems and saw me leave just before I was pushed...

Now the things that will directly affect the employer are the fact I may need more frequent toilet visits than average so cant be 'trapped' on till or similar and also that I cant eat in a canteen so would prefer to go off site for lunch hour, whether that's just sitting in the car or nipping home (plenty of potential jobs 5-10 mins drive away). 

I want to know if I should make them aware of this immediately, or wait until an interview?  I also don't want to come across like a useless twat, but really it's no different to a lad in a wheelchair saying he'll have to avoid ladders imo!

I know others on here must have 'issues' as well so when do you tell the employer?  Or if you are an employer even?

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Certainly wouldn't mention the canteen bit - I've never known a job where you're not allowed to leave on your lunch break. Where I work has a huge canteen, games room, Internet cafe, 'quiet' lounge... I never use any of it! I either go into town or eat at my desk whilst working.

A break is to do what ever you wish to do, I wouldn't be expected to stay on a lunch break & I don't think an employer has any say or control on what you do on a break as long as you are back to work by the right time!
Thanks given by:
Tell them immediately, be frank and upfront about it and they will know its a genuine issue and your not a time waster.

Wether or not you get 'trapped' on a specific aspect of a job depends entirely on what job you chose to pursue but obviously any potential employer isnt going to want to be paying you to sit on the bog for half the day!

Best of luck though tom and deepest respect for trying Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't advise them when applying, you're just giving them a reason to select someone else for interview. Applications are aboutpositive points of your skillset. Providing you're not applying for a job on a till, i'm sure it will be fine. They can't hold IBS against you, you only need to declare it when you start.

As above, i wouldn't mention the canteen, never had to work somewhere I couldn't leave site/go sit in my car / go for a walk at lunch time.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2015, 11:56 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Tell them immediately, be frank and upfront about it and they will know its a genuine issue and your not a time waster.

Wether or not you get 'trapped' on a specific aspect of a job depends entirely on what job you chose to pursue but obviously any potential employer isnt going to want to be paying you to sit on the bog for half the day!

Personally i'd take this approach, purely on the basis that if they're going to reject you over something so minor then they're useless lady gardens anyway that'd be a nightmare to work for, therefore it'd be better not to have to waste time with a few months of stressful work or even just an interview. 
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies. Smile

(27-06-2015, 11:54 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Certainly wouldn't mention the canteen bit - I've never known a job where you're not allowed to leave on your lunch break. Where I work has a huge canteen, games room, Internet cafe, 'quiet' lounge... I never use any of it! I either go into town or eat at my desk whilst working.

A break is to do what ever you wish to do, I wouldn't be expected to stay on a lunch break & I don't think an employer has any say or control on what you do on a break as long as you are back to work by the right time!

I wasn't allowed off site in my previous job, sitting in the carpark was fine but I wasn't supposed to leave the car park... I did anyway and was never late back tbf lol. Never did understand why but was just told not to so assumed it was common, looks like it isn't!

(27-06-2015, 11:56 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Tell them immediately, be frank and upfront about it and they will know its a genuine issue and your not a time waster.

Cheers Matt.

When I say 'trapped', I mean literally not being allowed off till for hours at a time. That caused me several panic attacks which in turn triggered IBS. Dodgy Obviously I won't be applying for till jobs. As long as I have the option to nip to the loo I should be alright though, it's not that I'll need to sit in there for half the day, just the option being there has a good effect. Problem with IBS is that sometimes it can come completely out of the blue with no warning. Yesterday with no apparent triggers I had to run to the loo 5 times in 2 hours. Yet I hadn't had any major problems for nearly a week before that! It's obviously not fair on the employer if that was happening every day but if it's once a fortnight or so I can't see it causing them too much issue....hopefully... lol

(27-06-2015, 01:29 PM)Poodle Wrote:

Personally i'd take this approach, purely on the basis that if they're going to reject you over something so minor then they're useless lady gardens anyway that'd be a nightmare to work for, therefore it'd be better not to have to waste time with a few months of stressful work or even just an interview.

Very true. I've been worried about wasting employers time if I applied for something that I then got but soon found out I couldn't do well for whatever reason - hadn't even thought about wasting my own time! lol

(27-06-2015, 12:29 PM)C2K Wrote: I wouldn't advise them when applying, you're just giving them a reason to select someone else for interview. Applications are aboutpositive points of your skillset. Providing you're not applying for a job on a till, i'm sure it will be fine. They can't hold IBS against you, you only need to declare it when you start.

As above, i wouldn't mention the canteen, never had to work somewhere I couldn't leave site/go sit in my car / go for a walk at lunch time.

Must admit I'm struggling to find positive points of my skillset tbh - any ideas what they should be? Confused
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2015, 08:03 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(27-06-2015, 12:29 PM)C2K Wrote: Must admit I'm struggling to find positive points of my skillset tbh - any ideas what they should be? Confused

Organised
Methodical approach (car fixing stuff)
calmness under pressure (when you've failed to fix something, did you walk away from it and come back later to try again?)
Determined (moving out et all is a big step)

Just a few things I could think of!
Thanks given by:
Calmness under pressure? lmao Calm exterior maybe. ninja

The other 3 I agree with and already have on there, just seems a bit of a cliché and the same as most people would put lol.
Thanks given by:
The last time I had a canteen dinner tom, was at school. I always f*ck off out for lunch. as I find its a break from the place.
We have a few people at work with IBS, and work are fine with it.
Thanks given by:
Most jobs Tom you aren't paid for your lunch break so you can do what you want within reason.

I think it depends on the application as to if you tell them about your ibs. On our application forms at work, we ask if there is any health issues that may affect employment so if you come across something like that, you'd be stupid not to answer but if they don't ask, don't tell until the interview I think. You can't just not tell them though. You'll just end up with a bad rep if they employ you and turns out you can't really do your job because of your issues.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Most people who claim to be calm under pressure just have a calm exterior. Its the impression that you are which counts! Just remember to quote lots of examples of when you were those things!
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2015, 07:27 AM)Niall Wrote: Most jobs Tom you aren't paid for your lunch break so you can do what you want within reason.

I think it depends on the application as to if you tell them about your ibs. On our application forms at work, we ask if there is any health issues that may affect employment so if you come across something like that, you'd be stupid not to answer but if they don't ask, don't tell until the interview I think. You can't just not tell them though. You'll just end up with a bad rep if they employ you and turns out you can't really do your job because of your issues.
Pretty much what niall said.
If they ask then tell them, if they don't ask tell then at the interview.

Applications is just getting your foot in the door, so don't go shooting your self in the foot at the first hurdle.
Most people tell a few little lies on their cvs anyway.

My cousin has ibs and he's always been in work mate, tell them that you feel after your comfortable with the job and people you work with it should hopefully calm down.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above, i wouldnt want to disclose your 'issues' on an application (unless they specifically ask). The application should 'sell yourself' as best you can. Make the guy who sees it think 'i want a chat with that bloke'.

Then, i would fully inform any potential employer in an interview situation, itll be far easier to explain to them face to face.

Letting them know before theyve met you just gives them the excuse to not consider you, when in reality you may be fine for the job ... maybe even perfect despite said issues
Thanks given by:
If you don't mind attending interviews then yeah, don't mention it until later. 
The benefit of being honest upfront is you won't be wasting your time attending interviews for jobs which you have no chance getting. Atleast if you disclose it from the start then get an interview, you know you've got a genuine chance at getting the job
Thanks given by:
*UPDATE*

So, it's been a month, and this hasn't gone well if I'm honest! I decided not to disclose the health info on my CV, or online applications which most seem to be these days! And so far all I've got back is a few rejection letters and emails. It seems I don't even fit the role of 'shelf stacker'!

Also, my digestive issues haven't improved as much as I expected since moving. In fact they've got worse. However this seems to be because I'm forcing myself into anxious situations everyday, often several times a day. It doesn't appear to make any difference what I eat, or when I eat, and how regularly I visit the loo. It's also not only the inconvenience of having to visit the loo so frequently and with such urgency, but it causes a lot of pain and discomfort as well with cramps and reflux etc. Plus it really drains me, meaning I'm running out effort quickly and quickly feeling really lethargic, just cleaning the car or a 20 minute walk round town is a huge effort some days. I really try not to give up in these circumstances, and try and push through the best I can but it doesn't really achieve anything tbh.

So I'm not sure what to do now. Obviously I need an income, and there's no way I'd go on benefits for the rest of my life, some people seem fine with it and each to their own but it's definitely not for me! But I just don't know what/where else to try now. It needs to be something very flexible with the digestive issues. Some days I can 'work' all day, going out 2 or 3 times to various places to do different things, other days I just have to sit it out for a morning or afternoon and am basically useless (unable to walk/bend/lift/drive without feeling like I'm going to pass out, chuck or sh*t myself).

Anyone good at 'thinking outside the box'?

Also, is there any sort of advisor at the job centre that could recommend something, or is that not really their area?

I should add I'm also still really struggling with phones, so ideally no phones would be involved in whatever I do. Problem is I panic when the phone rings, and there's just not enough time to calm/think before it rings off, on the rare occasion I can answer it I'm not really listening, say stupid things and have forgotten all info by the time I've put the phone down! I get the same panic with an email, but at least those you have time to calm before opening, and can re-read as often as necessary!
Thanks given by:
Speaking to the job centre is a good idea. They are there to help at the end of the day so take advantage of it! They will also (obviously) help you find a job rather than you just applying here or there.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I do really feel for you mate... I'm shit on phones sometimes so I kinda know what you mean...

When I ring some one sometimes I panic lol I feel like I can't let the conversation go dead because I'd look stupid so if I'm ringing someone I plan want I'm going to say in advance, this helped me out a lot.

I used to work delivering for DHL and had to ring people continually, in the end I found because I knew what I was going to say it was easy as I've done it 1000 times before.

What I'm getting at if you push through it as first you may become ok with it.
Thanks given by:
Get on cv library and upload your cv. You can do one clikc applications sometines you'll also on get recruitment firms ringing you asking if you're still looking for work. I hate being on the phone but I keep asking for a desk phone at work so I can get practice
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I'm going through the tail end of a "can't even get a shelve stacking job" period. I got a job early in my degree related to my field years ago and then lost that job before I finished my degree. And for what ever reasons I haven't been able to finish my degree and have been in flux ever since trying to figure out what I'm doing. I've worked unloading tyres from big semis, unloading chips from trucks and other general labouring stuff. In and out of work all the time.

My experience is to get out of this situation you need a qualification in something. Find all the industries that are in demand, narrow down the ones where you think you will be able to work effectively and then try and do a course relating to that field. I know its not easy but employers are taking a risk with new employees and this will help you tremendously.

Also apply for work experience, unpaid. Your interested in X job and X company and would love to gain some experience.

Are there any services that can help you get on top of your health issues? That would make a world of difference I think. Feel free to PM me if you like.
Thanks given by:
Recruitment agency? only signed up to one once and they'd called me offering me work before I'd even got back home again.

Delivery driver could be good for you as to a certain extent you are your own boss. Maybe pizza delivery leaflet guy?
Thanks given by:
(01-08-2015, 09:20 AM)Lwilliams Wrote: I do really feel for you mate... I'm shit on phones sometimes so I kinda know what you mean...

When I ring some one sometimes I panic lol I feel like I can't let the conversation go dead because I'd look stupid so if I'm ringing someone I plan want I'm going to say in advance, this helped me out a lot.

I used to work delivering for DHL and had to ring people continually, in the end I found because I knew what I was going to say it was easy as I've done it 1000 times before.

What I'm getting at if you push through it as first you may become ok with it.

Yeah I do kind of agree there, and its something I will have to work on over time. But it's not going to come instantly and I think at this stage working a telephone heavy job wouldn't go too well, it's not fair on employer/customers to go into something knowing I can't do it.

Also, I always leave a number off when couriers ask for a number...you wouldn't have to ring me haha. Big Grin

(01-08-2015, 10:41 AM)ozpug Wrote: I'm going through the tail end of a "can't even get a shelve stacking job" period. I got a job early in my degree related to my field years ago and then lost that job before I finished my degree. And for what ever reasons I haven't been able to finish my degree and have been in flux ever since trying to figure out what I'm doing. I've worked unloading tyres from big semis, unloading chips from trucks and other general labouring stuff. In and out of work all the time.

My experience is to get out of this situation you need a qualification in something. Find all the industries that are in demand, narrow down the ones where you think you will be able to work effectively and then try and do a course relating to that field. I know its not easy but employers are taking a risk with new employees and this will help you tremendously.

Also apply for work experience, unpaid. Your interested in X job and X company and would love to gain some experience.

Are there any services that can help you get on top of your health issues? That would make a world of difference I think. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Problem is I can't work effectively anywhere, I don't really have any skills, I'm well aware I'm not an employable person, but at the end of the day everyone needs an income to live.

I do have a few qualifications, but they were never fully completed as I'd have needed an apprenticeship to do so, which I couldn't do for health reasons at the time, and couldn't live on an apprentice wage now.

I've also not been in work for 4 years now, so have very little work history and no references. So as you can see, not much going for me haha!!

As for the health services, bit of a sore point that - in theory there are, in reality I haven't had any useful treatment at all! So far I've made the most progress by helping myself. But unfortunately that only works up to a point and I've come to a bit of a wall again at the moment.

(01-08-2015, 10:51 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Recruitment agency? only signed up to one once and they'd called me offering me work before I'd even got back home again.

Delivery driver could be good for you as to a certain extent you are your own boss. Maybe pizza delivery leaflet guy?

Agency work is no good here. After explaining the situation, I was told fairly bluntly at 2 agencies that unless I was sure I could work a full 8-12 hour shift they wouldn't want to sign me up... Obviously I'm sure I can't so didn't take that any further lol.

I did think about a local delivery job tbh, I spent a lot of time driving locally anyway and it gives some flexibility and the chance to nip home if necessary. Problem is I don't really know of many delivery companies round here! There is a dominoes fairly near but I'm not sure I fancy delivering at night with youths about. Confused I went for a walk at 11pm the other night to see how I felt...shat myself when a hedgehog came running towards me and snorting... lol
Thanks given by:
Tom I think you're confused about agency work. Yeah you can sign up to these people and do the odd week/month here and there but you can also sign up for them to find you a permanent job. I'm signed up to 2 agency's in my industry and never get calls for project/temp work. Only ever full contracts.

Find an agency and have a word. In fact, if you want to do something In the electrical industry (bearing in mind your qualification) then Have a word with a recruitment agency called CSR. They are very flexible and helpful unlike most who just want to get you to sign a contract ASAP so they get their finders fee.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
No idea, I just walked into a couple of places that had 'agency' on their shop front sign...

I wouldn't do anything electrical tbh, can't cope with the responsibility of potentially killing someone through a mistake. Confused
Thanks given by:
Tom you need to worry less. Providing you follow your training, that won't happen.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The irony is, it's usually worrying about things that causes the mistakes!
Thanks given by:
Delivering at night with youths about? You don't live in downtown Baghdad. Youths arn't out to make trouble at every turn they just want their pizza.
You can deal with scrapyard people so whats the difference with walking up to someones door and saying £12.99 please at most it's 30 seconds of person to person contact
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
We work with this company, I know you don't like phones but this is literally answering it, taking details and passing the call to another company..

http://www.callconnection.com/work-for-u...vacancies/
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom, my 21 year old son has suffered ibs since he was a wee baby so I can get the urgency and unpredictable nature of it so do feel for you!
I spent a couple of years out of work after one too many asshole bosses, shitty companies and undue pressure for unfair pay and declared i was going to be my own boss but ended up in a gv funded job search office 4-5 days a week with a bitch (milf) for a team leader who knew fk all about anything wasting mine and my families time so got them to buy me a cardboard suit and shiny plastic shoes and off I went determined to get away from the Bitch/job club.
After 2 hours wasting more time and C.Vs I stumbled upon my local Dominos store with a sign up saying drivers wanted!
Perfect! I walked in suited up and approached the counter with a smile and a can do attitude and got chatting to the manager about my motorbike project who then shouted over the big hairy dominos scooter riding biker dude to check out my story and was hired 20 minutes later!
3 years and several 306's later I'm still doing it and I actually really enjoy it!
I average a tenner an hour between my minimum wage payment and tips and fuel and roof sign money 85p per drop + 20p for roof sign!
Today I did 18 drops from 11 am - 8.30 and on top of my hourly rate going in to the bank I walked away with £43 cash! If I was to do 5 shifts a week it mounts up to a decent wage with flexible hours and no pressure cos it's all on the idiot in store staff making mistakes!
Go drive to your local domis and get a job you will love so much more than stacking shelves!
Seriously go do it for a few weeks and see how it goes cos we are always lookin for drivers!
Having car knowledge is HUUUUUUUUGELY beneficial to a dominos driver be it keeping your car on the go or going saving a fellow driver that doesn't know how to bump start a car so make sure you tell them you know your way around most cars!
Did I mention you get to spend all your time in the 306? Flip side is i put 500 miles a week on my car/cars so expect clunks squeaks and ball joints aplenty etc and the odd exhaust demount ( spare converse leather laces work well!) ;-)
The most likely reason you will get sacked ever is your/our fascination with 306's that can no longer hack 25k a year!
Thanks given by:
(01-08-2015, 09:45 PM)lolsteve Wrote: You can deal with scrapyard people 

Idea, what about a job in a scrapyard?
Thanks given by: Silky
(01-08-2015, 09:45 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Delivering at night with youths about? You don't live in downtown Baghdad. Youths arn't out to make trouble at every turn they just want their pizza.
You can deal with scrapyard people so whats the difference with walking up to someones door and saying £12.99 please at most it's 30 seconds of person to person contact

I don't mean delivering to youths, though of course you never know who you're delivering to (although a name/area can give an idea I guess). I mean the ones hanging around outside at night. The youths are out to make trouble. Just this week a group between 8 and 15 broke into the local war museum and damaged some exhibits! There's one going round 'tagging' various places at night. Plus there've been a lot of complaints about a group hanging around outside the local Dominos/One Stop causing nuisance.

If a group of youths were to jump me I wouldn't stand a chance! Confused

(01-08-2015, 11:01 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Hi Tom, my 21 year old son has suffered ibs since he was a wee baby so I can get the urgency and unpredictable nature of it so do feel for you!
I spent a couple of years out of work after one too many asshole bosses, shitty companies and undue pressure for unfair pay and declared i was going to be my own boss but ended up in a gv funded job search office 4-5 days a week with a bitch (milf) for a team leader who knew fk all about anything wasting mine and my families time so got them to buy me a cardboard suit and shiny plastic shoes and off I went determined to get away from the Bitch/job club.
After 2 hours wasting more time and C.Vs I stumbled upon my local Dominos store with a sign up saying drivers wanted!
Perfect! I walked in suited up and approached the counter with a smile and a can do attitude and got chatting to the manager about my motorbike project who then shouted over the big hairy dominos scooter riding biker dude to check out my story and was hired 20 minutes later!
3 years and several 306's later I'm still doing it and I actually really enjoy it!
I average a tenner an hour between my minimum wage payment and tips and fuel and roof sign money 85p per drop + 20p for roof sign!
Today I did 18 drops from 11 am - 8.30 and on top of my hourly rate going in to the bank I walked away with £43 cash! If I was to do 5 shifts a week it mounts up to a decent wage with flexible hours and no pressure cos it's all on the idiot in store staff making mistakes!
Go drive to your local domis and get a job you will love so much more than stacking shelves!
Seriously go do it for a few weeks and see how it goes cos we are always lookin for drivers!
Having car knowledge is HUUUUUUUUGELY beneficial to a dominos driver be it keeping your car on the go or going saving a fellow driver that doesn't know how to bump start a car so make sure you tell them you know your way around most cars!
Did I mention you get to spend all your time in the 306? Flip side is i put 500 miles a week on my car/cars so expect clunks squeaks and ball joints aplenty etc and the odd exhaust demount ( spare converse leather laces work well!) ;-)
The most likely reason you will get sacked ever is your/our fascination with 306's that can no longer hack 25k a year!

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm, maybe I will give Dominoes a go then...during the day... lol

I don't drive a 306 though...I drive a Focus with a DMF and DPF that won't like start stop driving all day (though I do that half the week now!)... May have to buy a NAD to run on veg if I did it long term...but of course that would cost money making it not worthwhile...hmm, something to think about! Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motorsport/Automotive Engineering Job Hunt Kezzieboy 29 6,404 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3
  At Least i have my health... Ben Jay 40 6,843 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Matt
  Puffin dies after wandering into sexual health clinic. Ruan 9 3,341 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Eeyore