A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END
I started a to prep for gaydon,
[Image: 2015-05-11%2012.54.45_zpshfrwm2ru.jpg]

we made a start on the engine bay, Mum getting in on the act ( she does a bang up job on my cars with the clean side)
[Image: 2015-05-11%2014.38.02_zpsygzcyrff.jpg]

sadly the weather turned questionable, and mum had to go to work. so we planned for Wednesday.
Thanks given by:
Good luck for Wednesday Smile
Thanks given by:
(11-05-2015, 11:18 PM)kee616 Wrote: Good luck for Wednesday Smile

we are going to need it! last thing I want it to do is piss down with rain!! As Thursday will be well pushing it! got to pack my odds and sods up for sale
Thanks given by:
well today I broke up from work, and got straight on helping my mum, who had been working on the car flat out for 3 hours!
She did the inside and out side!
have a look and see what think!

out side

[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.03.05_zpsx03w8stp.jpg]

[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.02.58_zpsbfrses8f.jpg]

[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.02.48_zpsaztrey76.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.02.27_zps1oxt2lru.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.06.13_zpsj2zulcgo.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-13%2014.55.09_zps0pdieatb.jpg]

[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.04.54_zpsug6zy0wx.jpg]
the engine bay nicely cleaned up!
[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.06.37_zpsyyxjeyrs.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-13%2014.54.27_zpsfmh9e1yl.jpg]

the interior!

[Image: 2015-05-13%2014.53.36_zps1kvhz8ix.jpg]

[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.03.17_zpsggbacffx.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.03.26_zpsh8unjlcs.jpg]

[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.03.39_zpse2jlww7j.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-13%2013.04.19_zpsflaurogb.jpg]
the boot nicely tidied and clean!
[Image: 2015-05-13%2014.53.25_zps920byaig.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-13%2014.53.57_zpsdr8nejjm.jpg]
looks like a 10 year old car!! I did some more hoovering with inside, while mum done some touch ups! Got to fit the air fresher in, and maybe one last once over.

Thanks given by:
Good effort.

Get some Autosol from Poundland and give that tail pipe a going over with some wire wool.

Also get some Rover badges for the wheel trims.

New rear plate, you've replaced one but not the other.
White caps for the front number plate screws.
Bonnet alignment, look at drivers headlight and passenger side.

Is there no way you can re-route the wiring for the spot lamps?

Those bits would really finish it off.
Thanks given by: procta
I think it is a new rear plate? Just not a quality one... lol

Pressed plates would look awesome on there though. Wink

Does look good for it's age Procta!! Big Grin
Thanks given by: procta
(13-05-2015, 04:39 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Good effort.

Get some Autosol from Poundland and give that tail pipe a going over with some wire wool.

Also get some Rover badges for the wheel trims.

New rear plate, you've replaced one but not the other.
White caps for the front number plate screws.
Bonnet alignment, look at drivers headlight and passenger side.

Is there no way you can re-route the wiring for the spot lamps?

Those bits would really finish it off.

the wiring has been re routed, sadly these lamps no longer work now, ( both f*cked)
no where local makes number plates up sadly, which is a bit of a pain!  I will see what I can do with the tail pipe, as we may have some stuff here that bring that thing back up.
I do have some replacement wheel trims to go on this, I will try and dig those out tomorrow! I think its the angle i took the photo at, but i will check that too as it might be the lamps that are slightly out, ( a bit of adjustment)
Its come up alright hasn't it! i took your advise about the engine bay and we washed it and then gave it a bit of stuff on the pipes, not sure if we have something for the ECU and VVC lettering.

(13-05-2015, 05:07 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I think it is a new rear plate?  Just not a quality one... lol

Pressed plates would look awesome on there though. Wink

Does look good for it's age Procta!! Big Grin

Now i have toyed with the idea of that tom, i might just do that! As i do have some plans for the bumpers and a new set of spot lamps. you wouldn't think it was 25 this year would you! 
Its Worlds a part from the GTA isn't, this one is like years younger! 
Thanks given by:
Can buy plates on ebay for about £20 the pair...plastic or pressed... Big Grin And yeah not bad for 25!!

As for the alignment, I think it's the headlight out rather than the bonnet? Passenger side one seems to have dropped a bit.
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2015, 05:58 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Can buy plates on ebay for about £20 the pair...plastic or pressed... Big Grin  And yeah not bad for 25!!

As for the alignment, I think it's the headlight out rather than the bonnet?  Passenger side one seems to have dropped a bit.

i will have another check tomorrow, the passenger head light is a lady garden to sort out! as that's where the battery is!
I will have a look on ebay tom, is there any sellers you recommend?
Thanks given by:
The seller I've bought my last 5 sets from no longer sells them... Sad But there are plenty of sellers on there. Personally I'd look for one without a big makers mark or GB badge and in legal format and find the cheapest of those.
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2015, 06:30 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The seller I've bought my last 5 sets from no longer sells them... Sad  But there are plenty of sellers on there.  Personally I'd look for one without a big makers mark or GB badge and in legal format and find the cheapest of those.

just a shame i cannot put the old style plates on, the black and silver ones. How much did yours set you back?
Thanks given by:
Under £20, think I've paid between £17.95 and £19.95. Free pads or screws with some as well.
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2015, 06:48 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Under £20, think I've paid between £17.95 and £19.95.  Free pads or screws with some as well.

sounds good! i will look into these then, for when i get the bumpers sorted, ( got the red ones to be painted)
Thanks given by:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1710145106

I've ordered these for my car & they're due to arrive tomorrow so il upload some pics to show the quality. My old ones were 2yrs old and been on 3 cars, chipped & needed replacing after ~50k.
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2015, 08:11 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1710145106

I've ordered these for my car & they're due to arrive tomorrow so il upload some pics to show the quality. My old ones were 2yrs old and been on 3 cars, chipped & needed replacing after ~50k.

cheers JJ! I have added that to my watch list!
Thanks given by:
final checks done, and that's it! its all in the hands of the gods now! 222 miles to drive tomorrow, and then some and then the journey back again! wish me luck!
Thanks given by:
is the show on the 17th? the museum is about 10 minutes from my mums so may pop up have a look around etc
http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/e...m-tea-run/
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2015, 07:55 PM)vincent1 Wrote: is the show on the 17th? the museum is about 10 minutes from my mums so may pop up have a look around etc
http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/e...m-tea-run/

yeah it is Vincent, pop up and have a look, my car will be on the time line.
Thanks given by:
Im just waiting to see if my mum is at home this weekend that way i can stay at hers as i dont live local myself so if she is i can visit her saturday and pop up on sunday either way hope you have a good time at the show ive been there a few times for diffrent things.
Thanks given by:
Awesome, my first ever car was an Austin Metro. 'The silver bullet' it was called. Pre rust it took me all over the place but when I joined the Army it fell into the wrong hands and eventually got scrapped.

Anyway top work, keep it up Smile
Thanks given by:
well lads We are back from gaydon! it was like a full blown metro forecourt! We had time warp classics, Proto types, vans and a barn find! There must have been well over 80 metros there!
Here is my car on the time line! She done us proud! 444 mile around trip with out a bother! ( there and back)  
check out the twin sister! that one won best mk3!
   [Image: 2015-05-17%2012.35.52_zpsmb0nrsnz.jpg]

We won the most distance travelled too! We beat the two other lads by nearly 20 miles!
Prize was a mug!
[Image: 2015-05-17%2016.27.48_zpslhw6badm.jpg]

[Image: 2015-05-17%2016.27.54_zps0pbcgepz.jpg]

Now I have been saving this for a little treat for you lot! Two Hard core metros were there too! and I MEAN HARDCORE!

[Image: DSC00923_zpsfcjmvi21.jpg]

Yes I sat in one! like it was made for me!
[Image: DSC00924_zpsnhcwh4ft.jpg]
have a look at these!

inside!
[Image: DSC00926_zpsvh5a4bg2.jpg]

[Image: DSC00927_zpslloypyll.jpg]

[Image: DSC00928_zpsul2z4zp9.jpg]

[Image: DSC00929_zpsc4ysfifi.jpg]

check that out!!

[Image: DSC01003_zps6lot5xe3.jpg]

not bad eh!!

I had a bit crac on with the two lads who owned these, the yellow one is a prototype works one! the other is a clubman one,
The lad with the white one is the founder of the metro owners club! ( only found that yesterday!)
Very friendly lad! We chatted about mine, and asked him if you can see if there is anything wrong with mine, So we walked over, and i told him to have a look around, i told him to look at the back, He noticed the 1.1s, then i said check open the bonnet, So he did and he pissed him self laughing! It made his day that! He said that's a hell of a sleeper!!
later on, we young back for a " little photo shoot"

[Image: 2015-05-17%2016.31.59_zpslp37gk1r.jpg]

[Image: 2015-05-17%2016.32.07_zpserpwpbjd.jpg]

He took me out in it!
I tell you what lads! They say these are an animal, and i tell you what, its not an animal its a f*cking vicious animal!! and i mean f*cking vicious! He warmed the car up ( got the engine up to temp) and he gave it f*cking some on a straight! right up the box! I tell you who every ralleyed those in the 80s must have been on acid!! The acceleration i tell you made your eye sight go blurred, the f*cking roar of that V6 in the back was out of this world! you would need a radio to talk to each other!
The full blown Raw power of that V6 powering through the 4x4 system, makes my VVC metro like a 1.1, compared to that!
After that, i took him out in mine, as he never been in a VVC metro before at all, and he said how refined and well behaved mine was, and loved it when i gave it beans. He said that's a cracking car! and a massive credit to me! he said i wonder what would have happened if an old dear bought one of these, if rover had put this engine in as standard!! Be a few frighting moments!
Even though these two are very much related, in a lot of ways, they are very much worlds a part!
He needed some gauges for it, and i said i have a pair here, and they are yours for the gift, He wouldn't take them for free but gave me a £5, So my old gauges are going in a 6R4!
Thanks given by:
Also i managed to get nearly 80% of the metros idling for one of the lads who lost his life, His dad came over to me and thanked me for that and was well choked up. The Two 6R4s idled to for the lad! which would have been a real treat for him too! One of the main lads, who helped the 6R4 owner, to bring the club together back in 2008, he said Andy get in your car and join uson the parade ! He told me to put my toe down! looks like he knows hahaha!
a couple of on board photos of the bit parade.
[Image: DSC01027_zpsycu5kytx.jpg]

[Image: DSC01029_zpsibqdcvhc.jpg]

[Image: DSC01028_zpsqhc3knzs.jpg]

What a fantastic day it was! I do have a load of photos, i can post a few for you lads if you like, Ie an mg metro Turbo etc just ask.
Thanks given by:
Metro heaven Smile
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2015, 04:55 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Metro heaven Smile

f*cking beast it was!!
Thanks given by:
Looks good, glad it all went well!!
Thanks given by:
I didnt realise idling was a way of paying respect...
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2015, 07:00 PM)Eeyore Wrote: I didnt realise idling was a way of paying respect...

the aim was to get as many running for him at the same time, as you wont get 60+ idling again and two 6R4s, his dad was well over the moon like I say and came right over to thank me for sorting that out. There is a fund for him too, which is a nice thought too! 
Thanks given by:
plans are now, to give it another oil change, as its now done about 1000 miles with this oil and its started to get tappy again! also I think the exhaust is finally f*cked I think, as it got louder and louder while we were down there! so I think I have blown the full lot out of it now! 3 trips down the country has made sure of that! So I am going to look at that this year, and its a must!
While I was down there, I got one of the lads to top the suspension up too, so its a little higher now, I had 200 psi in the front! ok for racing, but not for roads! last time it was sorted was 5 years ago! so its sitting better now.
It did surprise a few people down there mind, while it was on show. as I never popped the bonnet and showed off the engine. only a select few got to see under there, One lad was admiring it, thinking how clean and modified it was, externally, He thought it was a 1.1s with a few extras on lol, When I was talking to one of the lads, that has a turbo Metro, The lad clocked under the bonnet and said, "f*cking hell that's a hell of a surprise"!! "I never thought it was a vvc!" " That's a topper little sleeper!"
Thanks given by:
The more sleeper the better imo. There is a little purple a
Metro a friend has that's just failed it's mot. Said I can have it for £50 if I tow it away. So tempted after seeing this. Are you coming to fcs?
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 09:12 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: The more sleeper the better imo. There is a little purple a
Metro a friend has that's just failed it's mot. Said I can have it for £50 if I tow it away. So tempted after seeing this. Are you coming to fcs?

no mate sadly not, I wont get the budget or the hols in, in time sadly. if you decide not to take it, give me the details of it etc, and i can pass it on to the metro owners club.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi, building VNT'd 205 Sleeper in Chesterfield... 399road 145 69,575 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Chris_90
  Citroen Dispatch Sleeper Kind of.. Will 2 1,910 15-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  205 dt sleeper, engine in :) Paul_13 171 54,130 20-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Paul_13