How to Remove a HDI Inlet Elbow
Tools you will need;

-       10mm Spanner / Short 10mm socket

-       Short 7mm spanner

-       Posidriv screwdriver

-       Flat head screwdriver

-       Long pliers / Adjustable long handle pliers

-       Set of Allen Keys

The first thing that you need to do is remove the front driver’s side wheel. Once this has been taken off you can get a little bit of access to the turbo inlet. On the front of the turbo is a metal pipe going into it being held on by one 10mm bolt. You need to remove that to loosen the metal intake pipe for access later on. 

Under the bonnet you will then want to loosen the 10mm bolt on the other end of the metal intake pipe. This is bolted onto the inlet elbow. There may be a bracket down the back of the engine as well depending on the model you have. This will be bolted to the bottom of the EGR connection. I didn't have one so I am not sure really but if you have one you will need to remove it.

[Image: e7hun6.jpg]

** Be careful with this pipe as the joint to the turbo is a bit delicate and when doing mine I moved it around too much and damaged it, Try to remove all the bolts first and then slide if off the turbo inlet in one pull rather than moving it around loads like I did**

[Image: 2wexent.jpg]

Remove the top half of the air box removing 5 cross head screws. Remove the plug on the MAF sensor and then remove the jubilee clip that holds the plastic intake pipe to the metal part. This will allow you to remove the whole of the intake pipe.

[Image: 2md2map.jpg]

The next thing you will need to do is remove the breather pipe for access. This is easy enough using a pair of large pliers or grips and a screwdriver to break the seal if it has got stuck on.

[Image: 23lbck8.jpg]

Once all of that has been removed you will need to get your arm down the back of the elbow. There is a rubber hose that connect to the bottom of the inlet elbow using a jubilee clip to hold it in place. You will need a very short 7mm spanner to get onto the jubilee providing that it is in an accessible place (Hopefully it is)

Once that is loose you want to remove the two Allen bolts from where the EGR joins to the inlet elbow. You will need fairly small hands and a short-ish Allen key for this. Its not too hard to do though really.

[Image: 23raljd.jpg]

Next you need to remove the two 13mm bolts that hold the elbow onto the manifold.

[Image: w0lzea.jpg]

Once that is all loose with a lot of wiggling and pulling you should be able to remove it from the rubber hose and the intake manifold.

Do what you need to do with it off and then just do the opposite to put it back together. To re connect the turbo intake pipe I find that it was a lot easier to bolt it on the turbo side first and then bolt it to the inlet elbow second.
Thanks given by: highwayman306
Brilliant guide. Do you know if there enough flex in the elbow to just undo the nuts and fit a new gasket? 
Thanks given by:
I tried very hard to do that origionally and it just wasn't happening. If you look at the first photo where the green arrow is pointing. That metal tab was hitting against the metal intake pipe and just getting in the way of moving it far enough out to get it off the intake manifold bolts
Thanks given by:
I'll do this over the easter hols once the celica is back on the road incase i break anything! I'll blank the egr while im at it.
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 02:02 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Brilliant guide. Do you know if there enough flex in the elbow to just undo the nuts and fit a new gasket? 

I have done so myself but I wouldn't recommend it. It's a swine of a job and to be honest you'll end up loosening something  off or damaging it 

You could take it off the turbo end first, which should give you enough to move it out the way
Thanks given by:
Yeah thats what I put in the guide Smile
Thanks given by:
Managed to blank the egr and replace elbow gasket today. Didn't bother taking the pipes off, seemed too much work lol
Took the front wheel off and had a look but decided to do it the lazy way!
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, I just found I didn't get a decent seal there again and I got a nice boost leak after about a day haha. Had to take it off and do it all properly after
Thanks given by:
I'd rather do it the proper way but i couldnt see decent access to the turbo. I thought i'd rather not start sonething i cant finish!
Thanks given by:
I busted the lug on the inlet elbow before and that was down to being lazy, I will def. follow this guide in future...blanking egr soon as I fear the spring has gone!

Iceman, you from Walsall Wink ?
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 08:34 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: I busted the lug on the inlet elbow before and that was down to being lazy, I will def. follow this guide in future...blanking egr soon as I fear the spring has gone!

Yeah, just off J9. My main aim was to fit the egr blank and just get the elbow gasket in as anything was better than what it was.

Did notice a fair bit of sludge in the inlet manifold, that will have to come off in the future and get a good clean
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 08:52 AM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 08:34 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: I busted the lug on the inlet elbow before and that was down to being lazy, I will def. follow this guide in future...blanking egr soon as I fear the spring has gone!

Yeah, just off J9. My main aim was to fit the egr blank and just get the elbow gasket in as anything was better than what it was

I'm just off J10 Wink, its causing me nightmares as I can see leakages all around the elbow Sad

When the lobe broke I took it to a garage to get it replaced as I couldn't find one and got ripped off but they did the work...they used hylomar or whatever it is and it just doesn't seal properly. I'm considering silicon sealant or cereal box card lol blanking egr at the same time...hard work lol
Thanks given by:
Get the gaskets from the dealer, they're not expensive at all. I used 3 of them, stuck together with high temp sealant before fitting
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 09:18 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: Get the gaskets from the dealer, they're not expensive at all. I used 3 of them, stuck together with high temp sealant before fitting

From Peugeot/fiat place on the mellish rd? Would there be any need for high temp sealant? Also how much are we talking for the gaskets...sorry for question bombardment lol
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 09:25 AM)highwayman306 Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 09:18 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: Get the gaskets from the dealer, they're not expensive at all. I used 3 of them, stuck together with high temp sealant before fitting

From Peugeot/fiat place on the mellish rd? Would there be any need for high temp sealant? Also how much are we talking for the gaskets...sorry for question bombardment lol

I go to regal motors Peugeot on oxford st, bilston. They came in a pack with a fair few in. 

I only used high temp sealant to join the 3 together prior to fitting so it was easier to handle as 1 gasket instead of 3 seperate ones. Can't remember the exact price but it was pretty cheap, will try and find my invoice for them later on. 
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 09:34 AM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 09:25 AM)highwayman306 Wrote:

I go to regal motors Peugeot on oxford st, bilston. They came in a pack with a fair few in. 

I only used high temp sealant to join the 3 together prior to fitting so it was easier to handle as 1 gasket instead of 3 seperate ones. Can't remember the exact price but it was pretty cheap, will try and find my invoice for them later on. 

Sorted that ain't that far from me, just gotta go down the dreaded BC route!!! I got a bolt (yes a bolt) stuck in my tyre last week, was tapdancing all the way home losing pressure Sad

If you could find a price and part number that would be awesome iceman Wink cheers. I'm guessing that silicon sealant would be sufficient for sticking them together, its high temp enough...I hope hahaha Big Grin
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
I'll have a look later on for ya. You could just give them a call, you know Wink Tongue
Thanks given by: highwayman306
(07-04-2015, 09:51 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: I'll have a look later on for ya. You could just give them a call, you know Wink Tongue

Lol that's true Smile I'll Google it... I'm being lazy ain't I Wink
Thanks given by:
Gaskets are around 49p each, I used one and some sealant on both sides and mines never leaked again, I have known people have the same results with just silicone though. Didnt realise there was many who lived round here either. Im from tipton.
Thanks given by:
I used instant gasket on mine. Was about £4.80 for a tube but I see it coming in handy in the future as well to be honest.
Thanks given by:
I didnt fancy using instant gasket on the elbow incase too much excess leaks into the intake when bolting it back up. 

Has anyone managed to get the pipe off that goes from the turbo to the elbow?
Thanks given by:
Hylomar instant gasket sucks in my very honest opinion, 3 times i used and all the times its leaked...silicon for the win Wink but i will be using a gasket methinks, or three *nods to iceman Wink
Thanks given by:
348n6 is the part number, pack of 10 for £6 inc vat, incase you were too lazy to call up Tongue

My other reasoning for using 3 was that it matched the thickness of the egr blanking plate
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 06:07 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: 348n6 is the part number, pack of 10 for £6 inc vat, incase you were too lazy to call up Tongue

My other reasoning for using 3 was that it matched the thickness of the egr blanking plate

Sorted mate Big Grin, Im gonna be making the blank today ready for the weekend, so il pop into bilston and get them, cheers for that Ice' Wink

I would have thanked you Iceman for the buddy approval...but i aint got enough posts, and i can't bring myself to spam like other new users do, welcoming newbies and stuff... I could name one person in particular but I aint a grass hahaha

HE KNOWS WHO HE IS!
Thanks given by:
There's a rep button....
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Repped Wink
Thanks given by: