MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
(19-12-2014, 01:06 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: exactly, bang for buck and man maths = T series ZR

only thing is getting hold of these engines now, as there isn't many 600s or 800s about with these engines anymore.
Thanks given by:
Everyone has already scrapped the poor things to steal the engines haha.
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2014, 01:54 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: Everyone has already scrapped the poor things to steal the engines haha.

probably right about that, I know the Rover 800s were the favourite for donors.
Thanks given by:
I like the k series, it's that peppy little underdog. Besides, still need to beat a '6/Srowells 1.8 ninja and having a 2.0L turbo seems a little unsporting

Have been casually looking at zs shells recently however the purchase of laser eyes kind of ate my budget a bit and we might be moving out of our current place soon to somewhere a bit bigger/not a flat. So having a second car right now would be awkward when it comes to moving out. Some nice ZS shells about just waiting to get one with HGF so can pick it up cheap and don't have to tear apart a working engine

Coilovers are back in my possession but the box was quite wet when I took it out the boot. Think there's a bit of a leak which would explain the very steamed up windows on a morning. Seller has yet to respond to me so thinking of opening a paypal case, part of me worries it might ruin his christmas etc but the other part of me says "F*k him, he screwed you over. Could have got a decent set of tyres for the money you've spent on them" Always a bit passive me really, don't like to upset people
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Go Steve

I'm the same don't like to upset people but recently got some parts which where clearly not what they where stated as.
I pm'd him and got £40 quid back so pretty cuffed with that.I got screwed over with my engine and got nothing back,easily wasted £400 Sad

So a very small win but still better that nothing.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
you need a lighter shell man steve to beat srowell, one on ebay at the min for 1200 quid.
sad isn't it when you get bumped!
I know the feeling sam I got screwed over too with my 1st vvc engine, £500 quid gone just like that!
worse thing was we had spent f*cking weeks putting the car back together for only it to die! and then to go about pulling the thing a part again! I was so close of loosing my f*cking rag with that!
After that I never really go enjoy the little car sadly, I enjoy the 1.1s more due to it having known running gear.
Why do people do it for ffs?
Thanks given by:
Open the case, he gave up his right to be treated with consideration when he deliberately conned you.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Depends how it goes, he may well resist any part refunds and want them back, you'd be screwed then given you've had them fixed.

take it as a learning experience thst just because Gaz are used by loads and they arent really cheap that they're any good!

I do like the look of a zs, a little heavy but not massively so, the kv6 makes epic noises but certainly adds about 30 kilos, not as much as I imagined tbh!

can be made a lot lighrer but depends what it'll be used for..
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2014, 06:11 PM)procta Wrote: you need a lighter shell man steve to beat srowell, one on ebay at the min for 1200 quid.
I know the feeling sam I got screwed over too with my 1st vvc engine, £500 quid gone just like that!
worse thing was we had spent f*cking weeks putting the car back together for only it to die! and then to go about pulling the thing a part again! I was so close of loosing my f*cking rag with that!
After that I never really go enjoy the little car sadly, I enjoy the 1.1s more due to it having known running gear.
Yep I degreased and painted the entire thing,then we fitted it and my mate who's been working on pugs for 20 odd years told me he never heard a engine that was that shagged. 
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2014, 11:07 AM)7057sam Wrote:
(19-12-2014, 06:11 PM)procta Wrote: you need a lighter shell man steve to beat srowell, one on ebay at the min for 1200 quid.
Yep I degreased and painted the entire thing,then we fitted it and my mate who's been working on pugs for 20 odd years told me he never heard a engine that was that shagged. 

The engine that I got had been badly trifled with, what ever he had done, he hadn't timed it up properly, so something must have gone, and he may have glued what ever was f*cked, so it would run for ok for a bit.
He even damaged one of the head bolts so that I couldn't even remove the head to see what had been damaged, also the vvc pick up was damaged which is about a 400 quid part, so it was scrap.
costed me another 500 quid for another engine! that cash could have gone towards the exhaust now.  
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2014, 10:04 AM)welshpug Wrote: Depends how it goes, he may well resist any part refunds and want them back, you'd be screwed then given you've had them fixed.

take it as a learning experience thst just because Gaz are used by loads and they arent really cheap that they're any good!

I do like the look of a zs, a little heavy but not massively so, the kv6 makes epic noises but certainly adds about 30 kilos, not as much as I imagined tbh!

can be made a lot lighrer but depends what it'll be used for..

I was fairly close to buying a zs 180 at some point, quite like them looks-wise as well even though most people really don't.
They really can be had for peanuts as well.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I realise I'm late to the story, but I'm 6'4" and had an MG TF without too much difficulty...
Thanks given by:
I was going to t series my zs but ended up going k series 1.8t due to every t series i saw was fu**ed
Thanks given by:
Actually looked at mg on ebay/gumtree/pistonheads you can really can get a lot for your money.
Thanks given by:
you do with rovers, most of them now will have had the head gaskets changed anyway. Mind the older Rovers are starting to jump up in value!
check the value of metros now, 180 quid 6 years ago, now double even close to 1k!
Thanks given by:
So a leaking rear end is causing no end of early morning inconveniences..... Wink

Water is getting into the boot causing the inside to be all wet and that, not uncommon for cars i know as mums fiesta and friends mondeo suffered the same fates. Just annoying. Also the windscreen has a crack in it now so another nail in the coffin for this shell it seems.

Acquired a different oil filler cap to turn it from yellow to black as I didn't like the yellow cap, stood out a bit too much against the rest of it. Thinking ill either get the standard silver rocker cover to replace the black one or paint it red. Trying to find ways to make the engine more exciting looking without going tacky. As I do like the look of the honda B series engines with their red tops. Was going to try and design a engine cover to be 3d printed but think it would be quite costly especially if i had to make a few test models to perfect fitment etc.

Still working on mapping, thought I had the spark and fuel maps sussed but asking on a ecu tuning forum turns out the fuel maps could be a lot more complex than originally thought. Shame it's not running EDC15/16 as that would at least let me find the maps Tongue 

Engine has also developed a fun oil leak since changing the rocker cover gasket so need to get that sorted as it's nearly run below min a few times now. Thinking i'll be letting it rest for the next couple of months during the ice and snow so as to reduce the engine wear and stop me crashing.

As for the shell I keep looking for a nice example but it's tricky as i want it to be perfect. Also keep finding myself looking at MK2 ZRs thinking..well I've already got the coilovers. I suppose in an ideal world I'd have a zr track car and a zs daily but not in a position to have both at the moment.

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
if you want to be really cute, see if you can buy a lotus elise engine cover,
Thanks given by:
That's what I would like but without the lotus bit on it. There's a carbon fibre one that looks nice but it's quite pricey

Thanks given by:
(31-12-2014, 01:11 PM)lolsteve Wrote: That's what I would like but without the lotus bit on it. There's a carbon fibre one that looks nice but it's quite pricey

yeah close to about 200 quid, there is an chrome oil cap on ebay. will look good on this
Thanks given by:
Was playing spot the difference between them 2 photos for ages lol
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2014, 02:02 PM)7057sam Wrote: Was playing spot the difference between them 2 photos for ages lol

the real reason he changed the cap over to a black one, was he thought it would give him more power, but its a heavy car for the engine.
Thanks given by:
Think I might have spotted a new shell Tongue It's not a ZS but a nice looking mk2 zr with HGF (unsurprisingly) . Really can't decide between the zr and zs, one minute im "must have a zr, i got the coilovers" then next it's "zs is just better made and handles better blah blah"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381115313833?s...Track=true

Last weekend did a overdue oil change with wynns flush. Very impressed at the chunks the flush got out the engine almost tempted to do it again this weekend see how much more I can get out Tongue also put in some tappet treatment as it's well received by the rover community and our very noisy tappets 
Also managed to quiet the engine bay down alot more by unplugging the charcoal canister, turns out all the tapping I thought was the engine was actually from that and the engine is actually rather quiet with some fresh oil. The problem now is that the EML keeps coming on but it seems counter productive to make the engine noisy again

[Image: dnycqq.jpg]

Thanks given by:
no matter which one you choose, its still heavy end of!
that canister thing, you can do away with as most of the rover lot do that anyway, you need to blank it off at the inlet mind!
These do quieten down when they have some decent oil. you should have changed it with the stuff i am running. That the engine just purrs like a kitten!
Thanks given by:
Looks good buddy! Just get it sorted out. Nothing is ever going to be perfect. Just get it the best you can and start enjoying it! Thats what I did with the 1.8 in the summer and now I cant stand it. Give it 4 months or so and we will be back on that track battling it out again...
Thanks given by:
Just buy a metro and put the engine in there ffs.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2015, 08:24 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Just buy a metro and put the engine in there ffs.

he wont do that, as he isn't man enough, just for the record metros are about 800 kg weight wise.
Thanks given by:
Don't buy a metro, i'll have to come and set fire to it in the night. Assuming i make it up there before it washes away in the rain anyway...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The ZR here has a clicky purge valve/charcoal canister as well, has from new apparently, makes a nice smooth engine (compared to the diesels Im used to lol) sound awful!! Confused

Not so sure on the ZS's, I just don't like the exterior....might be alright if you're elderly or having a midlife crisis. lol
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2015, 06:54 AM)Poodle Wrote: Don't buy a metro, i'll have to come and set fire to it in the night. Assuming i make it up there before it washes away in the rain anyway...

don't you dare set fire to a metro! I will setup a metro owners club meet out side your gaff if you do!
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2015, 01:19 PM)procta Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 06:54 AM)Poodle Wrote: Don't buy a metro, i'll have to come and set fire to it in the night. Assuming i make it up there before it washes away in the rain anyway...

don't you dare set fire to a metro! I will setup a metro owners club meet out side your gaff if you do!

[attachment=21058]
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: