Head gasket and head cleaning?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head gasket and head cleaning?
Hey all. What tools would I need to strip down the head and replace the headgasket, clean the cylinders, and clean out and regrind all the valves? While the car is sat and if I can create the space to work I would like to strip it all down if its possible. 

Anyone recommend a good torque wrench for the job, socket sets? urm general tools really haha? and things that most people wouldn't think of but that would come in really handy?

Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2015, 10:51 PM)TJTaylor2005 Wrote: Hey all. What tools would I need to strip down the head and replace the headgasket, clean the cylinders, and clean out and regrind all the valves? While the car is sat and if I can create the space to work I would like to strip it all down if its possible. 

Anyone recommend a good torque wrench for the job, socket sets? urm general tools really haha? and things that most people wouldn't think of but that would come in really handy?

Cheers Smile

Having recently done it myself. Take the engine out (I didnt).

Halfords professional torque wrenches are good as are the ratchet spanners. I had to use a gas torch on some of the nuts (EGR to manifold) to get them off.

You'll need a decent socket set 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" with breaker bars too.
Thanks given by:
Okie dokie lovely. And really take the engine out?? -_- thats a bit of a pain for me as I have no where to even put it when it comes out haha.
Thanks given by:
No you dont have to take the engine out to do a head. What engine is it??
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Er HDi perhaps? lol

Plenty of room to do it with the engine in, you've got to remove the top-engine mount anyway so you can just rock it forwards on a jack.

You'll need plenty of tools, be prepared to spend a fair old whack if you haven't got any.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: JTaylor2005
I have got a fair selection of tools but nothing amazing. I will definitely need torque wrenches but they will always come in useful in the future anyway so will be worth getting. Anything really obscure like the valve spring compressor I can probably borrow from my uncle Smile

Cheers guys Smile
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't say plenty of room personally and as the subframe has to come out for access, all thats left holding the engine in is the gearbox mount in the end. I know how I'd do it if I had to do it again.
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2015, 12:15 AM)Mr_Nuclear Wrote: I wouldn't say plenty of room personally and as the subframe has to come out for access, all thats left holding the engine in is the gearbox mount in the end. I know how I'd do it if I had to do it again.

Why had you the subframe out?
Thanks given by:
take the top mount off and pull the engine towards the front of the car.

There will be enough room to do the job then
Thanks given by:
Really shouldn't have to take the subframe off, all you need to do under the car is disconnect a couple of brackets, oil hoses and exhaust downpipe.

Do you have some of the E sockets, the ones that look like female torx bits? The headbolts are E12 or E14. Nothing else unusual in there i can think of off the top of my head...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
never touch the subframe, just lift it straight out the top.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Hi Just one small tip.
While rocking the engine back and forth properly supported by your favorite jack.
Don~t overdue to avoid damage to the steering hooses in the bottom.
Other then that go calmly step by step it should be fine in the end. ;-)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hdi head bolts Paul_13 4 1,523 02-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Paul_13
  Head gasket change advice Paul_13 6 1,571 25-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Fitting a 16v head Bigcjlad 7 1,908 22-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Piggy