ByeBye Diesels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ByeBye Diesels
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30381223
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Death from fumes? Bit extreme init?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Fossil fuel combustion creates harmful emissions? Well who'd have guessed that? lol

Diesels are dying off now anyway, theres not really a need to buy them new now that petrol has come so far. Its just a shame that it takes a while for the current new ones to get cheap enough lol.
Thanks given by:
meh. I cant see a ban on diesel cars full stop. Just a ban on selling them etc and eventually they will all fade out. It will be a shame in 30 years time when diesel is no longer available at petrol stations and you have to have a storage tank at your house to keep a supply.
Thanks given by:
Amazing.
20yrs ago diesels were bad and they spent billions on petrols and told us to buy petrols.
10-15yrs ago petrols were bad and they spent billions on diesels and must buy diesels.
Now diesels are bad and we must buy petrols.

Bla bla bla.

Sort aeroplanes out. One take off from a 747 could fuel a car round the world, twice!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
In 30 years there won't be any petrol left anyway...

We'll have to use electric cars which in turn burn coal at powerstations or hydrogen which there'll be one or two colossal accidents with the storage tanks exploding and people be moaning about the good old petrol days... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yeah does no one seem bothered about where all this electric is coming from for powering our electric cars?! Confused
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Tbf, some is nice clean nuclear power (I live pretty close to a nuclear power station lol) but people moan about those in case they pop.... Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 12:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: In 30 years there won't be any petrol left anyway...

We'll have to use electric cars which in turn burn coal at powerstations or hydrogen which there'll be one or two colossal accidents with the storage tanks exploding and people be moaning about the good old petrol days... Big Grin
VEG OIL FTMFW
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Petrol and Diesel are never going to go away as its so easy to convert cars to run on bio petrol and bio diesel which is never going to run out

Also the EEA is talking out of its arse with
European Environment Agency Wrote:Air pollution is the top environmental risk factor for premature death in Europe; it increases the incidence of a wide range of diseases.

Obesity related diseases are actually the top cause of premature death in the western world.
Thanks given by:
And when are people going to wake up too thelie of global warming
Thanks given by:
Don't worry, in about 30 days, another bloke with a beard sat in a university will have devoted the last 23 years to discover that if you force feed a rat fumes from a petrol car - it dies... Then will attribute it to some bullshit reason and we'll be flapping about petrols being the death of all of us.

Then maybe some day someone will realise that driving cars round filled with Lithium, Lead and Sulphuric Acid isn't the best idea either and we'll all die from them too!

I've given up reading the news - I don't watch TV anymore and I specifically avoid all newspapers because it's all bullshit!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 01:16 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: And when are people going to wake up too thelie of  global warming

We are coming out of a mini ice age mate, thats why its warming up. They have found fossilised palm trees in the south of the UK which indicates that before humans polluted the f*ck out the earth it was hotter than it is now.
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 12:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: In 30 years there won't be any petrol left anyway...

That's bollocks. We have plenty to last many years yet, certainly more than 30...
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Especially if we get fracking Big Grin
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Bio fuel is where its at, they make petrol out of about 80% corn in the usa these days, too many people get rich from crude oil, if they didn't we'd all be running on bio by now.
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Me being me and not knowing much about this sort of thing..

Is there any downsides to bio-petrol?
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 02:09 PM)Ruan Wrote: Especially if we get fracking Big Grin

You know the score.. Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 03:00 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Me being me and not knowing much about this sort of thing..

Is there any downsides to bio-petrol?

If we want to actually eat as well, we've got nowhere near enough land mass to grow enough for the amount we consume.

Same goes for Bio-Diesel.
Thanks given by:
You cant do fracking either, some people will moan.... Rolleyes Eventually they'll realise you cant please everyone.

As for the disadvantages of bio petrol (ethanol), same as bio diesel really, damages fuel system components, its less efficient, difficult to store and transport and you need shit loads of fields to grow it....the fields that should be used to grow food crops for staving people... But it gives better emmisions and is obviously renewable.

Had to do a whole module on renewable energies at college... While de-catting, De-EGR'ing and uploading a coaly map onto the Golf for my end of year project. lol
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 03:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You cant do fracking either, some people will moan.... Rolleyes   Eventually they'll realise you cant please everyone.

As for the disadvantages of bio petrol (ethanol), same as bio diesel really, damages fuel system components, its less efficient, difficult to store and transport and you need shit loads of fields to grow it....the fields that should be used to grow food crops for staving people...  But it gives better emmisions and is obviously renewable.

Had to do a whole module on renewable energies at college...  While de-catting, De-EGR'ing and uploading a coaly map onto the Golf for my end of year project. lol

they use bio petrol in 600bhp racecars monsters, not sure where you're getting your info from lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
The above is true...

It's just that it has vastly greater knock resistance, hence the call for it in high performance engines... But yes, does tend to eat seals etc...
Thanks given by:
The new koenigsegg One:1 for example, makes a fair amount more power on E85 than petrol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 04:12 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(09-12-2014, 03:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You cant do fracking either, some people will moan.... Rolleyes   Eventually they'll realise you cant please everyone.

As for the disadvantages of bio petrol (ethanol), same as bio diesel really, damages fuel system components, its less efficient, difficult to store and transport and you need shit loads of fields to grow it....the fields that should be used to grow food crops for staving people...  But it gives better emmisions and is obviously renewable.

Had to do a whole module on renewable energies at college...  While de-catting, De-EGR'ing and uploading a coaly map onto the Golf for my end of year project. lol

they use bio petrol in 600bhp racecars monsters, not sure where you're getting your info from lol

Its less efficient, less energy per litre, not less 'powerful'...you'd need to burn more of it, about a 3rd more iirc, to get the same power as if it ran on petrol.

Though you'd have to design the fuel system specifically for it so it wouldn't run properly on fossil petrol anyway.
Thanks given by:
Realistically unless you design an engine to run on E85 soley, it's quite pointless... Most FlexFuel cars don't have fuel sensors to detect the quantity of petrol vs bio-ethanol in the fuel, so don't adjust parameters accordingly.

Basically, you want to develop a relatively high compression (and/or turbocharged) engine for use with Bio-Ethanol, that way you can improve thermal efficiency... Oh wait, then you increase combustion temperature, then NOx emissions go up... Surprise sur-f*cking-prise!!!!
Thanks given by:
^^^ Like nitro methane, (top fuel dragster fuel) it only has about a third of the energy per liter but when you are burning 6 times the amount of it it doesn't matter, this is why some top fuel cars are running the best part of 10,000bhp

We could manage to grow alot of fuel but not enough to satisfy our demand for it but it would be a bloody good start. I know we'd need alot more farmland but there is no reason why we can't be growing stuff in multi layer hydroponic farms that on a commercial scale are incredibly efficient and can produce a years crop in weeks.
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 01:24 PM)Ruan Wrote: Don't worry, in about 30 days, another bloke with a beard sat in a university will have devoted the last 23 years to discover that if you force feed a rat fumes from a petrol car - it dies... Then will attribute it to some bullshit reason and we'll be flapping about petrols being the death of all of us.

Then maybe some day someone will realise that driving cars round filled with Lithium, Lead and Sulphuric Acid isn't the best idea either and we'll all die from them too!

I've given up reading the news - I don't watch TV anymore and I specifically avoid all newspapers because it's all bullshit!

100% this. The media is just ridiculous these days and pisses me off big time. No matter what happens, they will always find a scientist who can give you a serious negative point or two to any fuel used. Generally fi you do some research, said scientist is employed by said media company and is paid to have a heavily biased opinion....so basically, its bollocks.

Diesel will never disappear all together. We need it for lorries etc. Can you really imagine a petrol lorry producing 500hp and silly amounts of torque being as economical and eco friendly? Nah, not any time soon (not saying it won't happen!)

Its quite simple really. We need to get rid of some of the cars on the road. There is so many cars on the road which are just used for popping to the shops or taking the brats to school 1/2 mile down the road. Our road network can't cope with all these cars as it is. Get rid of these cars and we will have less pollution, fossil fuels will go further, people will be happier and healthier with more walking and breathing in less fumes...only downside is the automotive market would start to struggle but i bet you would find there would be less money lost there as there is in the NHS for things like road accidents and health issues because of fumes.

IMO, tax the bollocks off of people who don't need cars...but then of course the group of people who moan about everything they don't get handed to them on a silver platter will complain, blame it all on the government and go and support UKIP.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 04:51 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: We could manage to grow alot of fuel but not enough to satisfy our demand for it but it would be a bloody good start. I know we'd need alot more farmland but there is no reason why we can't be growing stuff in multi layer hydroponic farms that on a commercial scale are incredibly efficient and can produce a years crop in weeks.

Depends what method. My old mans college tutor was involved in research for bio fuels from diseased trees and it was found that we could support a hell of a lot of bio fuels this way but it would have to be well controlled, basically the idea being fields of trees grown, purposely infected and then farmed for fuels but as you can imagine, controlling the spread of disease would have to be a priority.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2014, 01:03 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: VEG OIL FTMFW

Sadly if they do the scrappage scheme, they will kill the car regardless of the fuel you actually use in it.
I might try changing the fuel type on the V5 to vegetable oil and see what the DVLA does.

Diesel's future is in a diesel electric hybrid.
Where it has batteries, the diesel is burnt in a turbine to generate electricity to charge the batteries and/or add extra power to the motors.
Constant RPM's is where it burns efficiently and cleanly.

Jaguar should have built that concept car.

We can't grow fuel in the standard way.
We have to look to things like algae for the future, or harness the desert areas for production with PV and sea water (great project I saw to do this on google)
But the future is electric. The issue is if we store that electric, or generate it at point of use.

Tesla would have a solution.
Thanks given by:
[Image: flintstone-car_1728691a.gif]

I'm off to Dragons Den.

It's the answer.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should we be concerned about our diesels bashbarnard 65 14,573 15-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Diesels in london lolsteve 57 18,256 10-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Any body have experience with rover diesels? crumpy 5 2,375 15-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Last Post: crumpy