New car talk (finance) - worth it?

Poll: Simply; to get the 208gti 30th ed.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yay
47.83%
11 47.83%
Nay
52.17%
12 52.17%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New car talk (finance) - worth it?
I think im going to have to test drive a GTi first - they've got one in the showroom and then make my decision - genuinely split at the moment.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I'd be tempted to get an used gti and throw a diff in it and get it mapped, I think forge do an intercooler upgrade
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2014, 06:58 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Some interesting points; but realistically, the argument of using the money "gained" in a property could be used to purchase a car, isn't reallly something anyone would do? Move house / remortgage to just buy a car?

Hi,

Yes they do!

The saying used to be "By the time you can afford it, you will be too old to enjoy it!" is no longer true. So, mortgage is paid off, and the nest is empty? There are lots of people making a lot of money out of persuading you to opt for Equity Release (They give you lots of money and you don't have to pay it back (though if you choose to, you can pay interest only, or interest plus capital) The down side is that when you pop-your clogs, they get the house, or some of it.

Hmmm! £100,000 available just for the asking? That would buy one hell of a motor home. It's called SKI-ing. (Spending Kids Inheritance). Suitable for some people, but not everybody.

Back on topic ... we can only advise Ginge. It's his decision, and we should not be critical or offended if he doesn't take our advice.

Thanks given by:
(14-11-2014, 05:10 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I think im going to have to test drive a GTi first - they've got one in the showroom and then make my decision - genuinely split at the moment.

Sorry...

You havn't even test driven one yet?!

Are you insane?!

Sounds like the idea of a brand new "special edition" has overwhelmed logic and thinking ability ginge.

Is it REALLY "special edition" too?! Or just badges and a few extra trick bits to hide how poor it is compared to the Fiesta ST?!

If you do go for a test drive, I am a bit dumb struck you havnt yet, then book a test drive in a Fiesta ST after and report back!

Smile

Also consider you wont be able to modify or touch a special edition brand new car till warranty is out...I bet you will want to within months!

Just done some googling...

Almost £3000 MORE than a fiesta ST?! Nospeak

And at least with the fiesta they havnt only painted the back end of the car!! lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 08:46 AM)Piggy Wrote:
(14-11-2014, 05:10 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I think im going to have to test drive a GTi first - they've got one in the showroom and then make my decision - genuinely split at the moment.

Sorry...

Are you insane?!

Sounds like the idea of a brand new "special edition" has overwhelmed logic and thinking ability ginge.

Is it REALLY "special edition" too?! Or just badges and a few extra trick bits to hide how poor it is compared to the Fiesta ST?!

If you do go for a test drive, I am a bit dumb struck you havnt yet, then book a test drive in a Fiesta ST after and report back!

Smile

Also consider you wont be able to modify or touch a special edition brand new car till warranty is out...I bet you will want to within months!

And at least with the fiesta they havnt only painted the back end of the car!! lmao

Can't compare it to a Fiesta ST. Plus if you looked into it, there is a lot different between the special edition and normal gti.
That said your right. It's mad it hasn't been test driven yet.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
thats retail price, who pays retail price there days?...
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
You can mod a warrantied car if you want (though why would you need to?). For example if you change the stereo, it won't affect warranty on the engine. It only affects the warranty on the part you change and anything affected by it.
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2014, 02:04 PM)nominous Wrote: But you can live in a house and drive a 300quid car.
You can't live in a 300quid house.

(14-11-2014, 04:09 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Well you could, just not in this country.

Unless you're prepared to stretch the definition of 'house'
My friend has people live in a caravan in his garden, that only cost a ton.
Wendy house?
Tree house?
Summer house (shed with windows)?

These are all £300 houses lol

(14-11-2014, 06:15 PM)welshpug Wrote: I'd be tempted to get an used gti and throw a diff in it and get it mapped, I think forge do an intercooler upgrade
It already has an LSD IIRC, thats why its special.
Thanks given by:
that's why I said used gti, not the gti 30.
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Can't compare it to a Fiesta ST. Plus if you looked into it, there is a lot different between the special edition and normal gti.

Fair enough on the differences.

But why would you NOT compare them? The Fiesta has less power and is £3000 cheaper...
Yet all the reviews and drives say its a better car!

Just like if you wanted to buy a 308, why would you not compare it to a golf and a focus and a astra?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
But how can you say all the reviews say it drives better when as far as I'm aware (could be wrong, don't care enough lol) there are no magazine reviews on the 30th 208. It's like me basing how well a 306 GTi drives after test driving a boggo hdi estate. There's a big difference in handling!!

I think most (including ginge) will buy the 208 30th not because it's great but because it's rare. It's a car that will turn heads but a fiesta ST? It's just another fiesta ST.

Fiesta RS however.....
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 08:46 AM)Piggy Wrote:

Sorry...

Are you insane?!

Smile

Piggy Wrote:Sorry...

Are you insane?!

You cant find one in the country, let alone grab one for a test drive; it'd be pointless me test driving a GTi when they're unsure they could even find a limited edition.

As for being 'overwhelmed'; hence being here, looking for opinions and not just being overwhelmed by the opportunity of "ooh, new shinies" or more relevant... "oooh a new possibleturboimnevergoingtouseorfitbutillbuyitanyway...piggy" Tongue

And the limited edition;
208bhp over 200bhp with torque to match
Torsen diff
10mm lower with stiffer springs and struts
6mm tract wider
pug sport front calipers; bigger than standard
add the odd matt black paint

Also, the red/black combo isn't the only paint colour; thats a £800 option.

I'm looking at either a white or red

(15-11-2014, 02:41 PM)Niall Wrote: But how can you say all the reviews say it drives better when as far as I'm aware (could be wrong, don't care enough lol) there are no magazine reviews on the 30th 208. It's like me basing how well a 306 GTi drives after test driving a boggo hdi estate. There's a big difference in handling!!

I think most (including ginge) will buy the 208 30th not because it's great but because it's rare. It's a car that will turn heads but a fiesta ST? It's just another fiesta ST.

Fiesta RS however.....

this
Thanks given by:
208bhp over 200? Seriously? Surely they could pull a bit more from it!
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 05:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 208bhp over 200? Seriously? Surely they could pull a bit more from it!

Yes, they can get 270 from it...but i have a feeling there is some significance in the number 208..dont know why though......
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'd rather have an extra 62bhp than a figure that matches the cars name...
Thanks given by:
You could spec up a Fiesta ST with over 200bhp and it be a one off and still come away with change from the 208 30th edition surely?!

All in my opiniom obviously, but I dont think I would ever, no matter how rich, buy a brand new car. Just cant stand the depreciation...and I would never buy something for £22k without knowing something more about it than a spec sheet and a stupid fake advert
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 05:36 PM)Piggy Wrote: Just cant stand the depreciation...and I would never buy something for £22k without knowing something more about it than a spec sheet and a stupid fake advert

Wow look how the 205 gti depreciated .... Itwasntme

That's something you know when buying anytthing new - similarly how you can pump 6k into a 306 DT - it's still a 306DT and its still worth £700, it's a thing you know, but you do it for the passion.

What more do you need to know about a car other than the specs; that kind of covers a lot for what you're paying for?? As well as various reviews on the 30th edition, there's not a lot more to say?

Oh, and some more differences

the interior is unique; specific carpets
interior and exterior plaques
matt black surrounds in a load of places inside and out
Peugeot sport alacantra seats
sat nav built in

AND an inflation kit instead of tyre lol
Thanks given by:
It's not all about figures though...might have a crap driving position, uncomfortable seats, or you might not like the tiny steering wheel if that's the same size as the usual 208 one. I got hooked on a couple of cars earlier in the year, one of which I could've bought new, but absolutely hated when I did get to drive it. You really should drive one before buying imo.

Oh, and good luck with the tyre inflation kit when you get a blowout... Tongue
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 05:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It's not all about figures though...might have a crap driving position, uncomfortable seats, or you might not like the tiny steering wheel if that's the same size as the usual 208 one. I got hooked on a couple of cars earlier in the year, one of which I could've bought new, but absolutely hated when I did get to drive it. You really should drive one before buying imo.

Oh, and good luck with the tyre inflation kit when you get a blowout... Tongue

...again, hence waiting until i knew there was even one in the country available before getting a test drive; i only found out when i started this thread that there was a potential. Smile

but yeh, that's not a handy item to have, i know, i'd try get something replaced, even a space saver is more use
Thanks given by:
With a lot of cars now days, a space saver is an option. I had an inflation kit in the Skoda and it was crap. In fact, the only half decent bit was the pump which mysteriously went missing and then coincidentally i found one in the boot of the 306!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'd have a space saver over the inflator tbh. Used my space saver 4 times in the last 2 months! Dodgy

Personally I think you should go for it if you like it though. Doesn't matter what people on a forum for 15 year old cars opinions are really, its fairly obvious they're mostly not the people buying brand new lol...
Thanks given by:
I'd be buying you beers and chocolates and flowers if you were buying a ltd edition Fiesta ST Wink

(in hope of a passenger ride!!)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 06:02 PM)Piggy Wrote: I'd be buying you beers and chocolates and flowers if you were buying a ltd edition Fiesta ST Wink

(in hope of a passenger ride!!)

Id save your money and buy some sort of medication, as there isnt a limited edition Fiesta ST
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
....yet ninja
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ignore. lol
Thanks given by:
[Image: ford-fiesta-rs2.jpg?itok=txoYScKy]

Yummy!!!

(15-11-2014, 06:27 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Aren't the red and black editions limited?

Only zetec S though...1.0ecoboost
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 06:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: [Image: ford-fiesta-rs2.jpg?itok=txoYScKy]

Yummy!!!

But thats not a limited edition ST? Thats an RS.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 06:33 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(15-11-2014, 06:27 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Aren't the red and black editions limited?

Only zetec S though...1.0ecoboost

Lol, wasn't quick enough, realised my mistake and edited haha.
Thanks given by:
I didnt say there WAS one, just if.

I would be waiting for the RS though. Similar price to the 208 30th!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 06:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: I didnt say there WAS one, just if.

I would be waiting for the RS though. Similar price to the 208 30th!

And i think i'd still own the 30th ed. to save the label of being a bit of a chav; peugeot's of today are little more, corporate? seem to have a bit more class; as opposed to a yobbish ST/RS Undecided
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,618 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Colleagues stolen laptop, IP trace (talk talk isp) stevieg 11 2,691 05-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Last Post: stevieg
  My New Car Finance Idea! C.A.R. 25 5,949 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Last Post: C.A.R.