Most Worthwhile GTI6/Rallye Upgrades

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Worthwhile GTI6/Rallye Upgrades
As above what do owners past and present think?

Cheers in advance
Thanks given by:
De cat with a decent exhaust
Thanks given by:
Decent tyres are probably the best mod in terms of performance gained per £ spent
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^^^^as above

People spend 100s and maybe 1000s on brakes, coilovers, engine mods, powder coating etc....

And run budget tyres!!!

Get some decent boots, some upgraded dampers and springs, and service the brakes and engine regularly. Be a B road whore then
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks all
Currently got Michelin PS3's to go on with Uniroyal Rainsport 3's for the rear
Current exhaust set up is a full magnex with cat still in place, worth decatting?
Also looking into track days/the ring, best track tyres that dont cost the earth?

Thanks again
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 12:33 PM)MY95 Wrote: Thanks all
Current exhaust set up is a full magnex with cat still in place, worth decatting?
Also looking into track days/the ring, best track tyres that dont cost the earth?

Thanks again

Ditch the rainsports, they are NOT a drivers tyre lol

Best thing you can do is overhaul the entire car replacing every wear and tear item Smile fit it with good tyres and brakes, then a good catback exhaust system and a good quality induction kit Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 12:54 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

Thanks again

Best thing you can do is overhaul the entire car replacing every wear and tear item Smile fit it with good tyres and brakes, then a good catback exhaust system and a good quality induction kit Smile

Cheers for the reply
By the way is it Matt or Matthew? My first names Matthew but as you know some people call you Matt, Matty, Matthew etc aha
They arent, they are on the rear currently and will be replaced for some Vredestien Sportrac 5's, what do people think of these?
What are the best upgrades/replaced items youve done to your Rallye?
Just bought the full standard airbox and fitted it so thats staying Smile
Thanks given by:
Supercharger? lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 01:07 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Supercharger? lol

This
Just a bit expensive! And I bought it for it to stay N/A ideally as ive got the HDI too
Thanks given by:
Michelin pilot Sport 3s are very good! Having decent brake pads will make a difference too!
Thanks given by:
Seriously, as said I'd go for good tyres, shocks, springs, strut braces (upper and lower) and maybe even thicker torsion bars (Xsara VTS are thicker I think?). The engine is producing a lot as standard for an old non-VVT engine, it's hard and expensive to make gains without forced induction.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Pfft supercharging isn't that expensive Wink
As above, i would be wanting a bloody good set of tyres (PS3s for me) and some decent brake pads. If you can afford it, refresh the front suspension and you will have a car that is bloody fantastic to drive on B roads.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies guys
Think I will be sticking with PS3's although wearing quite quickly on my HDI with tracking only recently done, will see how many miles I get from them
Keepibg the engine standard bar the exhaust and possibly a decat if its worth the loss of midrange for the better higher up?
What would people suggest for upgraded suspension parts?
Thanks given by:
Depends on budget and state of the car. A service and new plugs could be the best.

De res the inlet and fit a decent enclosed filter. Plus exhaust tyres and decent brake pads fluid hoses and discs
Thanks given by:
Suspension wise, its entirely based on your budget. Im not a fan of coil overs (most are though) so i always buy bilstein shocks. Its widely regarded that the B8 shocks and Eibach springs is the best non coil over setup for a 306 and i can 100% agree with that. You are looking at about £400 though for that lot for the front. If you can't afford that, you could go for B4s with eibach springs (about £220 for the fronts) which is still awesome. Just not as awesome lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks lads
What do you mean by de res Dum Dum?
Yeah my budget is more towards the £220 if not lower aha, if you had to uprate one of the suspension componants which would be the best one to uprate?
What are the b4s/eichback springs like compared to sachs OEM suspension parts?
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 01:06 PM)MY95 Wrote:
(02-09-2014, 12:54 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

Thanks again

Cheers for the reply
By the way is it Matt or Matthew? My first names Matthew but as you know some people call you Matt, Matty, Matthew etc aha
They arent, they are on the rear currently and will be replaced for some Vredestien Sportrac 5's, what do people think of these?

Matt, Matthew, Matty, Lady Garden, Twat Features, Ballsack etc etc but im most commonly known locally by my nickname 'Pleasurous Maximus'

Vredesteins are great tyres Smile my rallye doesnt really have many upgrades yet Wink check out my progress thread for some inspiration though dude Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 03:30 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(02-09-2014, 01:06 PM)MY95 Wrote:
(02-09-2014, 12:54 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Ditch the rainsports, they are NOT a drivers tyre lol

Cheers for the reply

Matt, Matthew, Matty, Lady Garden, Twat Features, Ballsack etc etc but im most commonly known locally by my nickname 'Pleasurous Maximus'

Vredesteins are great tyres Smile my rallye doesnt really have many upgrades yet Wink check out my progress thread for some inspiration though dude Big Grin

Whats your real name i meant? Aha
Think I will go for those tyres next on the rear then, £37 each from camskill at the moment!
Oh right I see aha, Will do although ive looked at it quite a few times already Tongue Cheers!
Thanks given by:
Rainsports are ok, just a bit soft. Fine for the rear really where they won't get hot and they've a nice breakaway from grip into slide. Fairly light too.

Lighter 15" 7" wide wheels will make a bigger difference than anything for your money. Decat is a waste of time if you have a Peugeot original cat downpipe. Remove the spare wheel and reduce weight.

Decent beam refurbish, new beam mounts (rubber not solid), new P bushes, new engine mounts, new original Peugeot dampers (better than B4s). Or modify it, just be sensible and don't pour money into cheap crap suspension.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Upper and lower strut braces will improve things but I think the best improvement is always going to be the tyres I've got federal 595s on mine which are great for the money
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 06:55 PM)adam b Wrote: Rainsports are ok, just a bit soft. Fine for the rear really where they won't get hot and they've a nice breakaway from grip into slide. Fairly light too.

Lighter 15" 7" wide wheels will make a bigger difference than anything for your money. Decat is a waste of time if you have a Peugeot original cat downpipe. Remove the spare wheel and reduce weight.

Decent beam refurbish, new beam mounts (rubber not solid), new P bushes, new engine mounts, new original Peugeot dampers (better than B4s). Or modify it, just be sensible and don't pour money into cheap crap suspension.

Thanks for all the info! Id agree, I dont think Rainsport 3's on the back are as bad as people think (i have them on the rear) Mods wise im going to stick to just the magnex cat back although may uprate suspension parts when they need changed, will wait and see
Lighter wheels cost a fortune though
But yes id agree with everyone that the best mod/biggest improvement will be a good set of tyres

(02-09-2014, 07:16 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Upper and lower strut braces will improve things but I think the best improvement is always going to be the tyres I've got federal 595s on mine which are great for the money

Cheers!
Yeah id agree, will stick with Michelin PS3's for a long while to come I think
Thanks given by:
306oc sticker. Its an extra 5hp for only a few quid!
Thanks given by:
Here's my two cents.
short shift kit (any brand, I use pug1off's own), poly bushes (powerflex), tyres (yoko parada spec2)
Tarox brake pads
hel brake lines
Springs and dampers not coilies
swap the stearing rack to a citroen xsara vts item, reduces lock to 2.5 turns.
thicker rear torsion bars

if you have the moneys and want to stay na.
cams
map the ecu
throttle bodies
etc etc.....
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 08:03 PM)SRowell Wrote: 306oc sticker. Its an extra 5hp for only a few quid!

Aha nice try with the bhp bit Tongue

(02-09-2014, 08:15 PM)impotentials Wrote: Here's my two cents.
short shift kit (any brand, I use pug1off's own), poly bushes (powerflex), tyres (yoko parada spec2)
Tarox brake pads
hel brake lines
Springs and dampers not coilies
swap the stearing rack to a citroen xsara vts item, reduces lock to 2.5 turns.
thicker rear torsion bars

if you have the moneys and want to stay na.
cams
map the ecu
throttle bodies
etc etc.....

Cheers!
Im wanting to keep the standard gearstick as im not much kf a fan of short shifters
Tyres im sticking with Michelin PS3's/Vredestein Sportrac 5's
I had thought about the steering rack yes, but does in not spoil the car feel?
Cams possibly long term but thats as far as my budget will most likely stretch
Thanks given by:
You can get a short shifter that goes on the gearbox end. Definitely swap the gear linkages for baker BM ones.
Thanks given by:
Aero wipers

No point having amazing tyres and brakes when you cant see anything. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 01:12 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Seriously, as said I'd go for good tyres, shocks, springs, strut braces (upper and lower) and maybe even thicker torsion bars (Xsara VTS are thicker I think?). The engine is producing a lot as standard for an old non-VVT engine, it's hard and expensive to make gains without forced induction.

VTS oines are,

estate ones are also 21mm
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
De-res = De-resonator. Remove it from the inlet manifold and plug the hole. There are expensive bungs on the 6 forum but Cully worked out he could tap the hole to some big ass imperial size and screw in a pipe blank. I'd just bung it with a tube of chemical metal.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 08:28 PM)SRowell Wrote: You can get a short shifter that goes on the gearbox end. Definitely swap the gear linkages for baker BM ones.

Fair enough, whats the difference between those and the standard oem ones?

(02-09-2014, 08:30 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Aero wipers

No point having amazing tyres and brakes when you cant see anything. Tongue

Thanks Tom Tongue
I have these on the HDI and they are pretty good (although they pick up flies quite easily :/)

(02-09-2014, 08:58 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: De-res = De-resonator. Remove it from the inlet manifold and plug the hole. There are expensive bungs on the 6 forum but Cully worked out he could tap the hole to some big ass imperial size and screw in a pipe blank. I'd just bung it with a tube of chemical metal.

Oh right, whats the benefit of removing it? Im guessing its similar to the egr valve on the HDI? Am I on the right lines? Aha
Thanks given by:
Dont forget the short shifters are adjustable.
aero wiper wise I have heard they wear out far quicker than standards, the best idea is rainex. I have used a product called enduro shield. It is a semi permanent rainex that last around 3 years. Comes from Oz and the Scottish cops are now using it so must be good. my experiance so far is great. No wipers needed at 60mph.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rallye or GTI6 mspdan 30 7,858 09-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Any other GTI6/Rallye Owners Under 20 on here? MY95 45 12,017 22-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Most Useful 306 Upgrades/Mods MY95 55 9,560 02-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Pompey306mark