dw10 crank swap 400HP

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dw10 crank swap 400HP
Hello,

We use the DW10 engine inside 2 tiny tractor pullers (~400HP@7000Krpm, 500Kpa boost @40 degree C, water injection, 260cc diesel injection 50 degree before TDC)
The first one:
https://picasaweb.google.com/minimumrisk...8880710626
And the second one:
https://picasaweb.google.com/minimumrisk...5777674882

Since we do stuff the engine wasn't intended to do there where a few small modifications: aluminium rods (got 20 at stock for whom's interested) and homemade pistons and some other minor mods to head and valves.

With these mods it tends to keep in one piece if we don't push it to hard to prevent the valve seats from melting down but there is one crucial point that is worrying: the crankshaft.
The big-ends are lubricated trough a hole that delivers a fresh oil film about 45 BTDC but unfortunately that is about the point our kaboom does it's work so we keep running into bearing issues since where a hole is there is no oil surface. (I am Dutch, sorry for the strange way to describe this)
After 2-3 runs we can see in our bearings where the ignition and hole comes together and that prevents us from making more power.

Does any of you over here nows if a XUD11 or another crank can be used that has the holes in another position?
Thanks given by: Allistairc123
500Kpa is 72psi that is a lot of boost
those little tractors sound epic!

oh welcome along to the forum Smile
Thanks given by:
What way have you modified the injectors?

Whats the prices on rods? Would be keen to hear more
Thanks given by:
I couldn't think I've even looked at where the oil holes were when I last had a crank out sorry.
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2014, 09:20 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I couldn't think I've even looked at where the oil holes were when I last had a crank out sorry.
We never looked at the holes to, caught our eye by accident...

Injectors are LaRo 300tdi holders with Scania truck nozzles inside, we use old fashion Bosch A and P line pumps for the fuel, they both have modified shafts inside, modified plungers and deliver up to 280cc in 5 pump degrees, injection peak pressure > 2500bar.

rods are about €190 (150GBP?) each but I have no idea how they will hold in "daily" use...
Thanks given by:
Holy moly
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2014, 06:09 AM)Piggy Wrote: Holy moly

No moly(bdeen) only aluminium... ;-)
About 450kg dry weight, 8l oil, 2l water injection, 2l diesel, 30l icewater for intercooler total weight on track maximum 600kg.
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2014, 09:08 PM)mcglynn Wrote: What way have you modified the injectors?

Whats the prices on rods? Would be keen to hear more

This is no good for us buddy, it's mtdi stuff. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Epic levels of win..... Have spent hours looking at mini pullers with dw10 / XUD / vw tdi motors in them, right up my street!!

With regards to crankshaft, If im honest ive never paid massive ammounts of details to the position of the oil hole, as never had bearing problems yet... but then due to road / smoke / longeitibtgy issue, we also arnt running 400hp! Id imagine it would likely be a custom job though to improove upon...Have you tried coated bearings etc to help?

Either way epic build, please keep us up to date on progress!!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Oh dear god!!! Now this is a thread full of win!! Good work buddy, loving those little pullers.

Would there be any advantage using the 2.2 crank or even a different bearing material or as Darren said coating?

Either way most of the cars on here are used as daily drivers so very few are even making half that power so haven't come into these problems.

Look forward to progress though! Big Grin
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Wow, very interesting stuff there.

Epic little pullers!

Please keep us updated on them Smile
Thanks given by:
Wow. Thats epic! More pics please Big Grin
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Love this thread. As said, more pictures please Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Absolutely love it!!! Massive tractor pulling fan - this is right up my street!

With regards to the problem with the oil film before 45BTDC - I'm surprised you're having as many problems, although cylinder pressures will be much higher, the ignition delay of Diesel surely isn't really starting to generate high cylinder pressures until a few degrees later?

You may want to look into DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coatings for the bearing surfaces which may allow you to get the fuel in a little bit earlier. Though as far as I'm aware, the XUD11 cranks are no better in terms of oiling holes, not to mention your rods wouldn't work with the crank since they're a wider crank journal width.

I'd be very interested to see what you've done with the valvetrain to hold it together at 500kPa and 7000+rpm!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I cant help with the questions mate, but those tractors are awesome!
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2014, 11:55 AM)Ruan Wrote: Absolutely love it!!! Massive tractor pulling fan - this is right up my street!

With regards to the problem with the oil film before 45BTDC - I'm surprised you're having as many problems, although cylinder pressures will be much higher, the ignition delay of Diesel surely isn't really starting to generate high cylinder pressures until a few degrees later?

You may want to look into DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coatings for the bearing surfaces which may allow you to get the fuel in a little bit earlier. Though as far as I'm aware, the XUD11 cranks are no better in terms of oiling holes, not to mention your rods wouldn't work with the crank since they're a wider crank journal width.

I'd be very interested to see what you've done with the valvetrain to hold it together at 500kPa and 7000+rpm!

We can see the hole is a problem since it leaves a ferm impression on the bearing, how, what or why is not clear but the damage is there after one 10 second run, if other types use the same place we have to look for a way to plug the original one and drill another. (and thereby making it weaker)

The wider journal width is only 2mm (4mm stroke) so I can grind that away from the casting, no problem. (4mm for a DW12 would be more problematic)

The valve train is completely stock however I do have a dry sump turbo oil system so al of the pump capacity is used for the engine.
We use the ultimate road cam from piper cams, to our knowledge the fastest thing there is for these engines, if some of you know a more cruel cam please let me know!

Coatings do scare me, never seen wonders from it, only damage if it gets loose.

If you want some pics guys:

Yesterday:
https://picasaweb.google.com/minimumrisk...0189572578
(my 19 year old female driver did forget to give full throttle first piece but we ended up 2th)
https://picasaweb.google.com/minimumrisk...3978850034
My friend got 1st (but probably melted his 4th set of pistons this year, he uses stock not billet)

https://picasaweb.google.com/minimumrisk...1083445154

more stuff in our web album: https://picasaweb.google.com/minimumrisk.pulling.team
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2014, 04:20 PM)japie Wrote:
(25-08-2014, 11:55 AM)Ruan Wrote: Absolutely love it!!! Massive tractor pulling fan - this is right up my street!

We can see the hole is a problem since it leaves a ferm impression on the bearing, how, what or why is not clear but the damage is there after one 10 second run, if other types use the same place we have to look for a way to plug the original one and drill another. (and thereby making it weaker)

The wider journal width is only 2mm (4mm stroke) so I can grind that away from the casting, no problem. (4mm for a DW12 would be more problematic)

The valve train is completely stock however I do have a dry sump turbo oil system so al of the pump capacity is used for the engine.
We use the ultimate road cam from piper cams, to our knowledge the fastest thing there is for these engines, if some of you know a more cruel cam please let me know!

Coatings do scare me, never seen wonders from it, only damage if it gets loose.

I think the translation has gone wrong on the journal width - the stroke shouldn't be a problem as you say as you can deck the block - by the crank journal width I mean:

[Image: rjjm20.jpg]

This measurement is wider than the DW10 crank - it is the same on the XUD9/DW10 engines - on the larger XUD11/DW12 engines it's larger.

I also think the rod is located on the little end in DW10 but on the big end in DW12 - don't quote me on that, that may be a rumour.

I do agree with you with regards to coatings - maybe if you needed to make the engine survive at 46*BTDC, the coating may help, but you will want to push for 50*+++ SOI and more power - you'll probably cause damage and wreck the coating rendering it useless.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I see you get your fluid lines from Alex just up the road from me in Wales Big Grin
Thanks given by:
thank you for sharing this is awesome!
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2014, 05:11 PM)Ruan Wrote: [Image: rjjm20.jpg]

This measurement is wider than the DW10 crank - it is the same on the XUD9/DW10 engines - on the larger XUD11/DW12 engines it's larger.

The attached pic from the DW10 shows one issue regarding the hole, at the surface it takes half the size of the journal width due to it's spherical shape. (don't know how to describe it)
I found a pic of a XUD11 and there the hole is just the hole and due to the slightly bigger bearing it takes only 1/4th of the surface so I think that is what's going in there this winter.

@welshplug: yes we do use Alex his fittings, he has nice prices and fast service, always a pleasure to do business with him...

nobody on faster cams then the piper ones?
Thanks given by:
I'm not aware of anyone producing cams for this engine besides piper tbh.

Epic machines these, fair play!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 05:40 AM)Poodle Wrote: I'm not aware of anyone producing cams for this engine besides piper tbh.

Epic machines these, fair play!

Over here in Holland it's a battle between the PSA en VW engines, the VW is about 15 years older (in design) but in Germany you can buy stage1-5 stuff for it.
Luckely for us the PSA is that much more reliable that it got us the Dutch and European championship last year with the Risk-2.0 and this year the Dutch number one for the 2.0 and 2th place for the Minimumrisk.
Next saterday we have the EC so if the rain stops we will try to grab that to...
Thanks given by: Allistairc123
(26-08-2014, 05:31 AM)japie Wrote: nobody on faster cams then the piper ones?

I had a standard cam re-ground for my XUD rather than buy one off the shelf, might be worth getting one made up to your specs?
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 09:00 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: I had a standard cam re-ground for my XUD rather than buy one off the shelf, might be worth getting one made up to your specs?
I don't think that fits our budget, I allow myself €1000 per year but that includes insurance and registration... (so I have to carefully balance where the money goes to, also need some more wheel-speed on my machine so have to build a new rear axle which probably will eat half my budget, crank 100, 4 new pistons 40, 4 larger water nozzles 160 and a new turbine housing for my HX40 so maybe 100 left...)
We did make a cam of our own from chromo42 but cam development is a art form on it's own and out of my league I think...
Thanks given by:
What have you done to the head to get 500kpa through it? Also what cr are you running?
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2014, 02:21 PM)tb205gti Wrote: What have you done to the head to get 500kpa through it? Also what cr are you running?

Everything David Vizzard told me to do... ;-)
We have a 1:12.8 compression ratio (if that is what you meant with cr) below 1:12 it will run but giving more fuel only results in bigger bangs and flames but not more rpm.
Thanks given by:
I didn't even know this sort of insane stuff existed...

ThumbsUp Big Grin Popcorn
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Oh so you went to one of Vizzards talks, was it as good as it's meant to be?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Paul lent me one of Vizard's books on ford pinto engines - damn good read

Didn't know he did talks?
Thanks given by:
Vizard talks about petrol engines Smile a diesel is a whole different story.. But recon you do not care much about MPG Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DW10 vs DW12 vs DV6 Dreijers 43 16,031 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Poodle
Wink Converting DW10 to IDI (XUD) TwinkleToes 22 6,622 27-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  DW10 Piper cam 306clot 17 5,610 13-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: toseland