Help me decide on a new car!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me decide on a new car!!
So, unfortunately the time has come that I'm kinda bored of 306's. After owning three of them now, I'm on the hunt for more power, comfort and fun.

The ideas I have so far, are:

Audi A4 Avant TDi 130 with remap
Mazda MX5 1.6 with turbo conversion
BMW 3 series E46 Touring, 6cyl diesel with remap
Honda S2000

It won't be for quite some time until I gather more funds together, but after covering 2000 miles in the last week, I've lost the love for my 6'. There's literally nothing wrong with it, which is quite rare given my experience with French cars, but I'm bored.

Any constructive advice on any of those choices will be rewarded with blowies and after orgasm cuddling Wink
Thanks given by:
Well number 1, this is the wrong place to ask for unbiased opinions. Number 2, that is quite a varied list...

If you want more comfort, then and MX-5 isn't the way to go. For fun, hell yeah, not comfort.

I was bored to tears by my 330d, but that's me... I have an Eunos, so... yeah.

I'd go for the S2k or MX-5/Eunos out of those 4. Best thing you can do if you haven't, is go and try them all. I say that every time, but it's the only way to go.
Thanks given by:
Be a man and tune the '6 up.

Cant imagine a A4 tdi being even 10% as fun as a '6....same for the BMBoring.

MX5s are for girls or gays.

Honda S2000 is a bit girly...but would be my choice...epic gearbox and build quality. But I think I would choose a turbo/scharged/TB'd '6 over those suggestions all day.

Have you considered a TypeR Integra?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I would tune the 6 up but if it must go i would choose a Honda with rear wheel drive
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2014, 08:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: MX5s are for girls or gays.

Just like 306s are for chavs and 125 year olds. We're doing pathetic stereotypes, right?

Sleepy

Just the response I was talking about, nothing can be as good as a 306.
Thanks given by:
A type of alfa? Can go v6 or 2.4 5 cylinder derv, remap and even the 150bhp 10v motor is pushing 200 bhp, the 20v can go to 220-250 depending on year.

The 156 is mega comfy with the leathers, and its handles quite well tbh
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2014, 08:14 PM)Curt Wrote:
(19-08-2014, 08:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: MX5s are for girls or gays.

Just like 306s are for chavs and 125 year olds. We're doing pathetic stereotypes, right?

Sleepy

Just the response I was talking about, nothing can be as good as a 306.

I know 306s have been Maxpowered in the 90s...very rare now.....but MX5s have always been for girsl or gays. Sorry dood. Underpowered, floppy and just too girly.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Out of the list, i think S2000 would be your best bet but end of the day, a car is a very personal thing. if we all liked the same thing we would all drive the same car! lol

Curt, lighten up....
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
The mx-5 or s2000. The audi and bmw wont be as fun as a 306.

More left field choice would be a later MR2 with the 1.8 2zz conversion. Best handling car I've ever driven.
Thanks given by:
If you can afford to run a S2000 get the S2000, its the car the MX5 could/should of been
Thanks given by:
S2000 is dodgy if not treated properly/set up right. Geometry is very important on these.
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2014, 08:16 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: A type of alfa? Can go v6 or 2.4 5 cylinder derv, remap and even the 150bhp 10v motor is pushing 200 bhp, the 20v can go to 220-250 depending on year.

The 156 is mega comfy with the leathers, and its handles quite well tbh

I'd love an Alfa, they look damn fine...
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2014, 08:21 PM)Piggy Wrote: ....but MX5s have always been for girsl or gays. Sorry dood. Underpowered, floppy and just too girly.

Jesus wept you talk some absolute bollocks sometimes. Girly image yeah, but underpowered? Even the 1.6 has 115bhp and weighs 940kg, compared to a 975kg 120bhp 106 GTI, so I don't know where you got that from. Floppy? What's floppy? Stiff chassis, taut suspension, sharp steering... Also more or less universally called one of the most entertaining cars to drive at an affordable price.

Have you even driven one?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
S2k.... VTeC YO!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Out of that list S2000 definitely!

I'd like an A4 Avant tbh, but not with the criteria you're looking at!
Thanks given by:
S2000 are probably one of the most uncomfortable riding cars in the world.

C320 CDi...
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
It really depends on what you need it for, if you can cover up to 2000 miles in a week, are you going to be able to afford to run an s2000? They're extremely thirsty, and you will kill yourself in one... If it's all round you want then it's got to be the E46 as it'll sound nice on song but have decent MPG and comfort. A4 I'd only get if it were a circa 05 onward Quattro.

Ignore piggys remarks on an MX5, clearly never had much experience of them. They handle absolutely epic, they are so light, but it's ideal as a second car rather than a high mile daily. I'd have another one in a heartbeat if it was practical for me to have a second car.
Thanks given by:
Yes, lots of experience of them. Too floppy and underpowered for a drop top 'sports car' when there are S2000s in the world

Only I wore a paper bag while doing so. Rather be seen in drag on brighton beach than in any MX5.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 08:17 AM)Piggy Wrote: Yes, lots of experience of them. Too floppy and underpowered for a drop top 'sports car' when there are S2000s in the world

Only I wore a paper bag while doing so. Rather be seen in drag on brighton beach than in any MX5.

But Piggy you can't really compare an MX5 and an S2000, completely different leagues. An MX5 is a small engined, economical, soft top sunday driver. An S2000 is an all out powerhouse that is extremely quick and thirsty. You can't compare the two bar the fact they're both 2 seater convertibles.
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 08:20 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(20-08-2014, 08:17 AM)Piggy Wrote: Yes, lots of experience of them. Too floppy and underpowered for a drop top 'sports car' when there are S2000s in the world

But Piggy you can't really compare an MX5 and an S2000, completely different leagues. An MX5 is a small engined, economical, soft top sunday driver. An S2000 is an all out powerhouse that is extremely quick and thirsty. You can't compare the two bar the fact they're both 2 seater convertibles.

S2000's are even more thirsty for oil than petrol when the VTEC kicks...
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2014, 07:54 PM)callumcull Wrote: So, unfortunately the time has come that I'm kinda bored of 306's. After owning three of them now, I'm on the hunt for more power, comfort and fun.

The ideas I have so far, are:

Audi A4 Avant TDi 130 with remap
Mazda MX5 1.6 with turbo conversion
BMW 3 series E46 Touring, 6cyl diesel with remap
Honda S2000

It won't be for quite some time until I gather more funds together, but after covering 2000 miles in the last week, I've lost the love for my 6'. There's literally nothing wrong with it, which is quite rare given my experience with French cars, but I'm bored.

Any constructive advice on any of those choices will be rewarded with blowies and after orgasm cuddling Wink

I think you need to decide what type of car you're after. Two of those are biggish cars, the other two convertible sports cars.

It's amazing how many put the 'gay' comment up regarding the MX5, when every magazine review I've read on it has suggested otherwise. They seem to have attracted a following on the 205GTiDrivers forum too (same 'gay-homosexual' car comment also cropped up!).

I found the '07 Audi A4 Avant dull as dishwater (very agriucultural compared to the BMW 2ltr derv), the equivalent BMW 3 series being hell of a lot more dynamic to drive. The E46 330d has a great engine with serious power after a remap, but beware the dreaded swirl flaps/injector and turbo issues. Bills can rack up. Seem to command high prices too, even with interstellar mileage. What about E46 320d or an early E9* 320d?

Don't fancy a 306 HDi then? I've just got a fresh MOT on mine after throwing new parts on it and am very, very happy with it. Not bad for £1500 all in with new parts, and it's practically a brand new car bar the engine/box. Plan is to use this as everyday car, and buy something digustingly thirsty.
Thanks given by:
Some really good advice in here lads!

I'm not looking for comfort, power, and economy all in one package. Finding all those in one car, in my opinion is near impossible! Especially as most of those is down to personal preference.

I'm still surprised how many people say MX5's are gay, girly hairdressers cars. Super light, pokey engines with so much more potential given I'd have a 1.6 and turbo it.

As for the 6', yes I could supercharge it, maybe even TB it, but I've just lost some love for it. It's not the power of it that bothers me, it's just the small fwd hatchback thing I'm bored of. It's a fantastic car, one of the best handling cars I've owned, but it's my third one. I want something new!

I've owned a HDi before, S2'd it and that was fun, but again, FWD hatchback!

I know this is totally the wrong place to ask, but we're all fundamentally car enthusiasts right?

Again, I really appreciate the input Big Grin
Thanks given by:
You'll get blinkered replies from people Callum but just ignore those ones.. A lot of us do realise there is a life after the 306, and also that following the trend of "oh its a 2 seater soft top, its for gay people only" is actually quite sad as some of those cars are pure engineering genius..
Thanks given by:

More shite. You don't know the meaning of underpowered, you still haven't explained floppy, and the S2000 is a Boxster equivalent, not an MX5 rival. Literally the only person I've heard say they aren't a fun drive.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
But the OP put up those two cars as options...so he is comparing them...so Im giving an opinion based on that comparison.

Compared to thr S2000 its just too floppy, too soft, too much chassis flex. Ive seen a lot of older mx5s with glass stress damage on the windscreen due to the whole chassis flopping round for years.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 10:14 AM)callumcull Wrote: Some really good advice in here lads!

I'm not looking for comfort, power, and economy all in one package. Finding all those in one car, in my opinion is near impossible! Especially as most of those is down to personal preference.

Not getting at you at all and please don't take this the wrong way but your short-list goes from extreme to the other, basically family wagons to sports cabs. You're going to lose space/comfort going one way, but also dynamics/handling and overall driving pleasure the other way. Power and speed can be compensated with the diesel, but a DERV will never replicate a N/A petrol screaming it's tits off IMO.

(20-08-2014, 10:14 AM)callumcull Wrote: I'm still surprised how many people say MX5's are gay, girly hairdressers cars. Super light, pokey engines with so much more potential given I'd have a 1.6 and turbo it.

As for the 6', yes I could supercharge it, maybe even TB it, but I've just lost some love for it. It's not the power of it that bothers me, it's just the small fwd hatchback thing I'm bored of. It's a fantastic car, one of the best handling cars I've owned, but it's my third one. I want something new!

I know this is totally the wrong place to ask, but we're all fundamentally car enthusiasts right?

I get the impression you need to tick the RWD box, hence the S2000 and MX5. Not an expert on either of these, but the S2000 isn't all that TBH (workmate had one). Ever considered a BMW E46 330 Coupe/Saloon? Can be had fairly cheaply these days on pre-facelift models, decent engine, RWD, fairly reliable if looked after, comfy, decent consumption for the engine, quickish with 'entertaining' handling (certainly not MX5 levels) and according to Thorney Motorsport, a lot of numbness can be dialled out with a decent 4 wheel alignment. I'm sure someone off here has one.
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 11:14 AM)Piggy Wrote: But the OP put up those two cars as options...so he is comparing them...so Im giving an opinion based on that comparison.

Compared to thr S2000 its just too floppy, too soft, too much chassis flex. Ive seen a lot of older mx5s with glass stress damage on the windscreen due to the whole chassis flopping round for years.

When an S2000 gets to the age of an MX5 you're comparing it to, it'll have glass stress damage too. It's a small car without a roof.. do you understand the structure/strain? You're comparing two cars that will have probably 10yrs+ age difference.
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 11:15 AM)Alan_M Wrote: I get the impression you need to tick the RWD box, hence the S2000 and MX5. Not an expert on either of these, but the S2000 isn't all that TBH (workmate had one). Ever considered a BMW E46 330 Coupe/Saloon? Can be had fairly cheaply these days on pre-facelift models, decent engine, RWD, fairly reliable if looked after, comfy, decent consumption for the engine, quickish with 'entertaining' handling (certainly not MX5 levels) and according to Thorney Motorsport, a lot of numbness can be dialled out with a decent 4 wheel alignment. I'm sure someone off here has one.

I do.. and you're right a decent (i used hunter) 4 wheel alignment made it a substantially better drive, even better still once I put my decent coilovers on it and had it setup again. There is common faults like every car, so make sure you research them before hand as they can be costly if you're not careful (330d's are probably the worst for the subframe issues due to the sheer torque FYI). Decent engine as far as I'm concerned and has a great spread of torque across the rev range.. although not much in terms of tunability power wise unless you wanna spend £££
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 11:15 AM)Alan_M Wrote:
(20-08-2014, 10:14 AM)callumcull Wrote: Some really good advice in here lads!

Not getting at you at all and please don't take this the wrong way but your short-list goes from extreme to the other, basically family wagons to sports cabs. You're going to lose space/comfort going one way, but also dynamics/handling and overall driving pleasure the other way. Power and speed can be compensated with the diesel, but a DERV will never replicate a N/A petrol screaming it's tits off IMO.

(20-08-2014, 10:14 AM)callumcull Wrote: I'm still surprised how many people say MX5's are gay, girly hairdressers cars. Super light, pokey engines with so much more potential given I'd have a 1.6 and turbo it.

I get the impression you need to tick the RWD box, hence the S2000 and MX5. Not an expert on either of these, but the S2000 isn't all that TBH (workmate had one). Ever considered a BMW E46 330 Coupe/Saloon? Can be had fairly cheaply these days on pre-facelift models, decent engine, RWD, fairly reliable if looked after, comfy, decent consumption for the engine, quickish with 'entertaining' handling (certainly not MX5 levels) and according to Thorney Motorsport, a lot of numbness can be dialled out with a decent 4 wheel alignment. I'm sure someone off here has one.

I think you're right, I'd love to have a RWD again! I think the Audi and the BMW are there as choices down to the fact I'll be doing a LOT of mileage when phase two comes about, but on the other hand, I really really want something that's 'fun'. I don't think the Audi will tick that box at all!

Either way, they're the choices that's been floating about in my head for some time now, advice is always a bonus to be had.

My old flat mate had a 330ci, that was epic fun. The power was there all the time, 6cyl engine sounded epic on full chat, and handled fantastically! And, it was comfy on long journeys.
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 11:14 AM)Piggy Wrote: Compared to thr S2000 its just too floppy, too soft, too much chassis flex. Ive seen a lot of older mx5s with glass stress damage on the windscreen due to the whole chassis flopping round for years.

My god, you are talking the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard on this forum... and that's saying something.

You don't like the car, we get it. Just stop throwing things out their like they're "facts" when they are purely your opinion. Floppy? That just proves to me you have absolutely no clue.

Also, no Niall, I don't need to lighten up. I'm just sick of stereotypes of all kinds, not just because I have one. I know you share Piggy's opinion of them, I was simply stating that stereotypes are completely pointless. If you won't drive a car because of what people may think of you, it's ridiculous.

The OP wants opinions of cars he may be interested in, so obviously just stating why you don't personally like that car, is pointless.

Rant over.

Callum, get yourself onto MX5Nutz if you are interested enough, and see if you can blag a passenger seat in a turbo/SC'd Eunos/MX-5. It may just make your mind up. After being in Fozzy's it just puts a constant smile on your face, and for me, what more could you want from a fun car? It makes me sad I had to stop building mine.

I agree with what's been said about it being a second car though... I drove one daily and I can't recommend it massively. Great fun, but can get tiresome.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can you help me decide, procta 24 4,455 25-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Last Post: procta
  Best Smartphone? Need to decide by 3:30 Josh1994 66 7,421 30-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  Please help me decide stu9 0 770 20-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Last Post: stu9