Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse
Oh my days did i miss my AVOs. Magic carpet ride compared to the TAs, hadn't realised quite how much of a difference there is.

So the bank holiday weekend was busy, not least of all thanks to hours spent searching for my stolen wheels and then for replacements. Angry Have just sourced some pe2s to go on the steels, which will do nicely for now.

Anyway, that aside it was a fairly successful weekend, got a hell of a lot covered. Even managed to get some pictures, although i think Jonny got more lol. New lemforder top mounts, refurbished AVO coilies, refurbished rear calipers, new genuine maf, fresh(ish) bonnet, grill and other assorted trim all fitted. Also re-routed a chunk of boost piping, sorted a cold air feed and gave it a full service including new aux tensioners and belt, fuel filter, gearbox oil, rear pads and dot5.1 brake fluid.

Fuel filter was filthy. I also found a nice collection of gold flakes in the filter housing, what better excuse to upgrade. Big Grin :

[attachment=15679]

And i knew i'd cooked these, but hadn't realised quite how badly. Will never, ever be buying eicher pads again:

[attachment=15680]

Had a minor incident with a sheared pinch bolt, Jonny quickly solved the issue with fire, hammers and power tools:

[attachment=15681]

Finally a shot of her new face, almost looks respectable:

[attachment=15682]

Please don't judge us on the bonnet's paintjob, it was done on a windy afternoon with 2 cans of high-build primer and 1.5 cans each of colour and lacquer and almost no prep lol. It looks the same colour from 20 yards and is waterproof, therefore it will do for now. Big thanks to Jonny as ever, fancy putting some photos up for me please dude? Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Jesus actually looks half respectable lol
Got any pics of your new boot floor finished?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Think I preferred the bonnet bulge tbh... lol

Looks like it was a productive weekend though!
Thanks given by:
Could have had an eyc colour bonnet for nowt mate and picked up your apple juice Smile

I would courier the juice down to you but I don't trust couriers lol

The car looks so much better now mate, does sound like a very busy weekend Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Holy shit it looks like a car! I dunno if I like it normal haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Good stuff, you going to go R70 or try summit bigger?
Thanks given by:
Previous page Niall, although it's got some speakers bolted to it now, which are actually ideal lol.

Lol cheers Tom, you're too kind. Wink

Thanks Chris, needed a quick solution though and you're a tad far away! Also, i've got a feeling ph1/2 bonnets have less of a bulge, might have struggled with clearance on the fmic install.

Lol Matt, ikr! Want it looking sleeperish for the shows though, should be easy now it's going to be on steels. Rolleyes

She's already running an R70, Uberderv, fuel system is all prepped up for more turbos! Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-04-2014, 05:44 AM)Poodle Wrote: She's already running an R70, Uberderv, fuel system is all prepped up for more turbos! Big Grin

Did you go for the Alfa nozzles? When do you plan on strapping the turbos in?
Thanks given by:
It was a ph3 from the car you sold dumdum Smile

Thanks given by:
Looking good Poodle. I have some old hammerite silver spray (cos the new stuff is shit) if it was any use. Ph2 bonnets definitely have a smaller bulge however if Chris has the one I sold him off your FHY car then its ph3.
Thanks given by:
As above Chris Smile

Thanks given by:
(23-04-2014, 07:47 AM)Uberderv Wrote: Did you go for the Alfa nozzles? When do you plan on strapping the turbos in?

No, not yet at any rate. That's a big money job, so it'll be another year or so yet, if it ever happens. Not sure it will on this one as outright power isn't my goal. Turbos i want to have in by PPCITP, which is the 24th August, let's see if i can hit a project completion target for once! lol

Cheers guys, like i say it's a quick and temporary fix, much better things in the pipline. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
She survived! :dance:

2200 mile round trip across 7 countries in a week, including 5 laps of the nordschleife, and she barely missed a beat. Was pretty pleased with the way she handled it all, the only real issue on track was a scraping lower boost pipe on some of the bigger dips, i'll be sorting that fairly sharpish. Ideally she needs some higher rate springs if i was to do it again, but the current ones are ideal for daily driving so they'll be staying for now. I haven't worked out the mpg for the trip, but it was definitely good considering she was fully loaded and being thrashed round back roads and up and down mountain passes all day long.

The only issue on tour was a short behind the dash causing me to temporarily lose all my interior electrics. A replaced fuse reduced that to a permanently lit battery light, no centre console clock back-lighting and no power to the front windows, everything else is working as it should. A bit of time spent tracing the fault has just confirmed it's buried among the wiring that goes behind the carpet and sound-deadening in the front, so that will have to wait. Why couldn't i just have a knackered door loom like everybody else, that would have been nice and easy. Angry As we'd ended up stripping out the front door cards and dash for access and it seemed churlish to replace it all without changing anything, as a result the cut down dash is now fitted and i'm currently taking a hacksaw and hot screwdriver to the door cards lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sounds like a good result Alex, bet you had fun Smile

Thanks given by:
Same electrical fault as I had, have you tried disconnecting the rear wiper?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Good to hear you had a great time Big Grin Really jealous you went . Did you get any footage? how is it as a track to drive?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2014, 07:54 AM)Poodle Wrote: The only issue on tour was a short behind the dash causing me to temporarily lose all my interior electrics. A replaced fuse reduced that to a permanently lit battery light, no centre console clock back-lighting and no power to the front windows, everything else is working as it should. A bit of time spent tracing the fault has just confirmed it's buried among the wiring that goes behind the carpet and sound-deadening in the front, so that will have to wait. Why couldn't i just have a knackered door loom like everybody else, that would have been nice and easy. Angry As we'd ended up stripping out the front door cards and dash for access and it seemed churlish to replace it all without changing anything, as a result the cut down dash is now fitted and i'm currently taking a hacksaw and hot screwdriver to the door cards lol.

Those are all the symptoms of a corroded rear wiper relay, causes fuse 28 i think i is to blow which takes out dash lights, electric windows, rear wiper etc.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2014, 08:41 AM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Same electrical fault as I had, have you tried disconnecting the rear wiper?

This sounds like a shorting rear wiper relay to me. Rip it out and replace the fuse and see how you get on. If it is that, I've got a spare ill bring you next weekend along with the engine stand.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Don't just do the relay, disconnect the wiper from the plugs first, as the actual connection had become corroded on mine, so still shorter with the relay out.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Had a hell of a lot of fun, didn't get much footage round the track though. It's pretty difficult to drive as a track, especially as it was so greasy for the first few laps. There are several sections that are pretty challenging - off-camber downhill corners, changes of incline so sharp i scraped the lower boost pipe on entry, blind crests leading into sudden corners, etc. Basically you have to drive it like an unfamiliar b-road where you know you haven't got to worry about traffic coming the other way. Chronic fun though, highlight was going past a merc sls that really didn't want to move over but didn't have the confidence on the slippy surface to keep ahead of us.

Have tested the rear wiper motor and relay and it's all good, it's definitely a problem with the dash-side of the loom as the window regs, switches and door loom all check out too. There's no power feed to the switch, so i'll be checking the rest of the relays too.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-05-2014, 07:54 AM)Poodle Wrote: 2200 mile round trip across 7 countries in a week, including 5 laps of the nordschleife, and she barely missed a beat.

I love that Peugeot-owner-ism there.

Your not impressed she didn't break down cos she did and you'd expected breakdowns. Your purely impressed that she didn't break down too much lol
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 09:53 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I love that Peugeot-owner-ism there.

Your not impressed she didn't break down cos she did and you'd expected breakdowns. Your purely impressed that she didn't break down too much lol

True dat lol. Although tbf i challenge any car that's been bought and heavily modified for less than £2.5k to do the same. lol

I guess i should update with my plans post eurotrip. Having discovered the car took a hard ride across the kerbs at the nurburgring (long story, look in the lounge for "FAO Poodle" if you're interested), i've decided that the newly developed pulling steering and slight knocking isn't my imagination after all. I also plan on getting the new engine fitted before ppc, with extra turbo and all the jazz that's going with it. The wiring needs a fair bit of attention too, as a good third of it is either dodgy or no longer required, windows being a great example.

Somewhere in all this Jonny mentioned he'd be scrapping a 3dr diablo dt shell... Ok it's a ph2, but i'm going to be replacing the bumpers, bonnet and interior anyway, so who cares. Wink So yeah, fitting a new engine with added boostzorsss before ppc has somehow turned into rebuilding the car from a clean shell and block and another peugeot on the drive. Did i mention i'd bought another car? Oh well, i have now, i am the proud owner of a 03 plate 106 nad. lol It actually looks super clean compared to my usual fare, so i thought i'd give the paintwork some loving:

[attachment=16524]

Pretty aware that ppcitp is now only 12 weeks away and the list has only managed to get longer in the last month. First priority over everything else is the new engine, so that's all set up in the garage. Can see my newly purchased citroen c5 "steels" stacked in the background, aka my latest track slag wheels.

[attachment=16525]

So yeah, engine, various things being done to this, all centred around helping it cope with more revs, boost and abuse. The whole lot is getting balanced, and possibly a bit of lightening, as much to reduce stress on the engine as to improve nvh levels. The exhaust manifold is going to be a shed-built log mani, it will flow rather a lot more than the 31mm id standard item and hopefully help the issues with back pressure. There'll be a fair bit of polishing going on to help smooth flow, both with the inlet manifold and ports. That is, however, probably where it will stop for now. I would like to have a better idea of where the next weak point is before i spend any more money on it, as im rapidly reaching the point where it gets really expensive.

The chassis set up will largely be staying as it is, just transferred onto the new shell. There may be a new steering rack going on if it arrives and if by some miracle i have spare time then there's a xsara vts beam that needs a gti6 arb and lowering. Most definitely going on are new vibratechnics engine mounts, gti6 front arb, lower strut brace. And i'll end up seam welding the subframe for good measure, just because i can lol.

That's about it for now, there's other odd bits of news, like the random water leak that has appeared, but nothing of interest. Hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have some better pics to post up, until next time...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cool updates.

I'd offer to help but my list between 2 cars is really f*cking extensive and TBH i'm barely managing to do any more than just keep the white one on the road.

Oh and your ph2 shell wouldn't happen to have any engine wiring or glow plug relays you don't want would it?
Thanks given by:
Really good car mate, I have a HDI and I want to know if I can put some gti 6 stuff on a HDI, would that be possible?
[Image: Cropped%20pic.png]
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Realistically the only bits worth having for a HDi off a GTi6 are the brakes and interior niceties
Thanks given by:
Thanks fella.

As above really, although other good bits to have off the gti6 are the rear beam and front arb.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Nice updates Smile Are you going to use mild steel butt weld pipes for your manifold? Are you planning on making your own flange or are you getting it ready cut?

You must eat more Chinese than us judging by your stock of parts storage containers lol
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2014, 10:20 PM)Poodle Wrote: Thanks fella.

As above really, although other good bits to have off the gti6 are the rear beam and front arb.

Dunno if you have one of the late HDi estates the front ARB is the same size as the GTi6 one and you actually get thicker torsion bars.
Thanks given by:
Meh, i was going on his avatar Chris, 5dr LXs tend to need all the help they can get lol.

(01-06-2014, 08:10 AM)Uberderv Wrote: Nice updates Smile Are you going to use mild steel butt weld pipes for your manifold? Are you planning on making your own flange or are you getting it ready cut?

You must eat more Chinese than us judging by your stock of parts storage containers lol

Thanks fella. Yeah, mild steel all the way through, don't have the money or skills to do it in stainless. My brother works as a laser installation engineer so he's making me a copy of the original flanges. Big Grin

Lol only once a month or so, i'm just a chronic hoarder - that's a good couple of years worth. Blush
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(01-06-2014, 05:27 PM)Poodle Wrote: My brother works as a laser installation engineer

[Image: 832694-dr-evil.gif]
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "stock" S16 project Jonny81191 44 12,479 14-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Last Post: procta