gasless mig vs gas mig

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gasless mig vs gas mig
ive a few patches to weld on my 205 mainly the floor and engine bay

would a gasless mig be good enough or should I get a gas mig
Thanks given by:
Gasless would be good enough. Used it on arches and engine mounts and things.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Location? Maybe someone local has one to borrow or can do it for you for beer money+cost?
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Gas

Gasless on body panel thickness tends to look like a passing flock of seagulls has shit on the seam.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
As above lol

I'd get someone to do it for you imo
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
If your buying one get a gas mig welder but don't buy a cheap one I'd rather get a 2nd hand decent welder. The cheap one are rubbish
Thanks given by:
Kemppi 170 are good, i use them all the time at work. Iv got the esab caddy 200 at home and its better, can do stainless and aluminium.

I spent £80 on a roll of gassless wire and must have done 30mm of weld before throwing it away
Thanks given by:
Gasless is cheap, crap if you use cheap wire but can be transformed by using self shielded/flux cored wire
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Gasless is shite IMHO
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I would have agreed until I bought same ace flux cored welding wire and it was like a different welder!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
gas it is, just to get one now before I get off for Christmas..

(19-12-2013, 08:24 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: Location? Maybe someone local has one to borrow or can do it for you for beer money+cost?

Ireland ...haha
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2013, 08:24 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Gas

Gasless on body panel thickness tends to look like a passing flock of seagulls has shit on the seam.

Obviously you're not very good then Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Obviously you haven't seen Phillips work lol
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Used both and gasless is just total gash. Also with welders you get what you pay for really.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ive used both too but its all good and well saying use a gas mig but to buy a decent gas mig us a lot of money then you need to rent the inert gas/bottle which for most diyers is a bit extreme.

TIG imo is the best but then again thats also mega bucks

I use a budget gassless mig with some good flux cored wire, im in the opinion i cant weld very well but anyone who has seen my exhaust mani has said it looks great and would I do them some stuff...

Alternatively you can hire gas migs which if I was doing some more serious stuff I would probably do
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
From what ive seen if you want to use a gasless mig...you may as wel just use a stick welder...

Once you get used to running a decent gas mig on thin stuff you will never go back...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Seen as this thread is up, got my Christmas money early so looking at buying a mig welder, Been looking at Clarke 100e it is a gas welder Are they ok? or can some one recommend me one got to be under £100 so looking at second hand Smile

Thanks given by:
You can buy the bottles from Halfrauds for about 15 quid if you get c02 which will last about half a day of constant welding, which in reality for the annual bodywork repair on a 306 etc is about 6 months worth of gas. I have a really really really decent welder which is piss easy to use, and I've used cheap ones which will do the same job, but will require hell more skill to achieve the same results, same with the gasless. They do work just really really difficult and hard to adapt to what your doing/style etc, so if you have monster skills then a cheap setup you will get good results, but if your already a decent skilled welder then you should have a decent welder. SIP do some decent ones ish, but they need the lance cleaning out all the time if you don't have constant use, and if there's ANY rust on the steel they just jam, where as a lincoln just ploughes through like an arc.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd be looking for Clarke 160TM or similar for a cheap machine, secondhand you should be able to get one around your budget, being machine that can take a proper gas bottle and a full size 15kg reel - that will save you a fortune in gas and wire in the long run, those little disposable gas bottles cost a fortune.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2013, 10:28 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: I'd be looking for Clarke 160TM or similar for a cheap machine, secondhand you should be able to get one around your budget, being machine that can take a proper gas bottle and a full size 15kg reel - that will save you a fortune in gas and wire in the long run, those little disposable gas bottles cost a fortune.

It's the T160 I have, decent machine, more than capable for car bodywork and then some. It's the most powerful one in the range on a standard mains plug. It cost a few quid but my thinking is a decent welder will last you a lifetime. Being Clark there's no shortage of parts and accessories to keep it going for years to come.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
I carnt seem to find one that powerful for under £100 any one got one for sale?

Thanks given by:
(19-12-2013, 11:24 PM)Martin306 Wrote: Obviously you're not very good then Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sir, I accept your challenge to a dual of welding. State your conditions and update your will.

P.S - Your father was an Elderberry.
Thanks given by:
I use a Clarke 190 Turbo gas mig, I use the disposable bottles because I hardly ever do any welding. Much easier than a gasless if you're a hamfisted clod like me...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah as said why not just get an ARC welder instead?
Thanks given by:
an arc welder will blast thin metal into last week.......

get a gas mig; if you can get a bottle of co2 (pub gas) it will do instead of the throw away bottles. I have had my mono-mig since 1986 and its still going on pub gas !!!!
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2013, 04:08 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(19-12-2013, 11:24 PM)Martin306 Wrote: Obviously you're not very good then Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sir, I accept your challenge to a dual of welding. State your conditions and update your will.

P.S - Your father was an Elderberry.

I'm jus' sayin' Tongue

I got a really good weld pool with gas less on my arch. I've no pics, I sealered over it all before I took pics Sad

Flux and shit did spatter a bit mind you Big Grin My "seam" was more like a "zip" lol.
Thanks given by:
As said already I would go for a gas mig never really got on with gas less just my opinion but there are loads on eBay and ya can get a bundle of the cheap small white bottle of gas in there to cheap
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
I'd love a cheap 2nd hand quality welder so I can attempt to radge some exhausts up!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Won a Clarke 100e last night with gas and wire for £73 should do me for cars Smile

Thanks given by:
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php
Thanks given by: