Fitting a USB charging port

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting a USB charging port
Anyone of electrical and ice capapbilities, just wanted to find out is it possible to hardwire usb port for either charginng mobiles and devices or as a AUX connection for music. I am looking at the possibility if the hardward exists while i am ripping out my dash on my Fiesta. I currently have a aux port in the fiest but thats a 3.5mm jack type.

cheers in advance
Thanks given by:
Get a HU with a rear USB and an extension ?
Thanks given by:
You want a 12v to 5v transformer then just a panel mount usb port and solder the 5v output to the power pin on the usb port. Job done.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 04:35 PM)Niall Wrote: You want a 12v to 5v transformer then just a panel mount usb port and solder the 5v output to the power pin on the usb port. Job done.

cheers are these sorts of things available in maplins or ebay??

also how about splicing a USB into an aux???
Thanks given by:
surely a ciggy usb would be easier
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
I would suggest going to pound land and buying a usb cig lighter attachment for yes you gussed it a pound and just dismantle the head off it and solder a 12v live to the inner terninals. Just my 2p worth.
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-2-PORT-US...2ec97e92fb

that would settle the charging issue,

or alternatively Smile airplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyey7tzbEFY
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 04:59 PM)Fezza_rs Wrote: I would suggest going to pound land and buying a usb cig lighter attachment for yes you gussed it a pound and just dismantle the head off it and solder a 12v live to the inner terninals. Just my 2p worth.

yep do that.

the mighty car mods video above is superb as well!
Thanks given by:
Mightymods epic <3
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Thats fairplay john1.4
Thanks given by:
transformers do not work on dc only ac
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 07:12 PM)treborobert Wrote: transformers do not work on dc only ac

Im not clued up with things sparktrician, what does that mean?
Only household power can be transformed??
Thanks given by:
nah, AC can be at any voltage/current, it's just that the changing direction of the current induces a voltage on the second side of the transformer, in DC there is no direction change so doesn't induce a voltage across the transformer.
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 08:14 PM)John1.4 Wrote: nah, AC can be at any voltage/current, it's just that the changing direction of the current induces a voltage on the second side of the transformer, in DC there is no direction change so doesn't induce a voltage across the transformer.

This!! But put simply, AC - Alternating current DC - Direct Current
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
You can get them on eBay, 12v reduced to 5v, I've got 6 of them on the way to fit, kids use iPods and stuff when in the back so fitting some inside the rear ashtray, my tomtom is USB powered, so I'll be fitting one on tip of the dash for that, my partners dad is a auto electrician so he will be doing all the wiring for me.
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 01:06 PM)ArbGarry Wrote: You can get them on eBay, 12v reduced to 5v, I've got 6 of them on the way to fit, kids use iPods and stuff when in the back so fitting some inside the rear ashtray, my tomtom is USB powered, so I'll be fitting one on tip of the dash for that, my partners dad is a auto electrician so he will be doing all the wiring for me.

can you share the ebay link for the usb ports you are gonna buy. cheers
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 02:48 PM)pugvivant Wrote:
(21-10-2013, 01:06 PM)ArbGarry Wrote: You can get them on eBay, 12v reduced to 5v, I've got 6 of them on the way to fit, kids use iPods and stuff when in the back so fitting some inside the rear ashtray, my tomtom is USB powered, so I'll be fitting one on tip of the dash for that, my partners dad is a auto electrician so he will be doing all the wiring for me.

can you share the ebay link for the usb ports you are gonna buy. cheers

ebay usb
Thanks given by:
use a usb cig lighter take it apart and splice the wires in the back of cig lighter?
Thanks given by:
the link to the ones i posted work well, simple to wire in,

fitted in my car
[Image: IMAG0484.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternator not charging Dreijers 1 976 17-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Usb port deggerz 22 4,476 16-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Last Post: toseland
  ScanGauge / OBD2 Port Readers silverzx 12 3,148 26-04-2014, 04:39 PM