The NAD

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The NAD
(22-09-2013, 08:39 PM)samass Wrote: Big end is f*cked.

Why would I want to lower the compression? It'd not been the cause of any of my issues so far

Should help stop the head lifting? Usually what you do when turboing any NA engine, even petrols. Plus, less load on the rods is better for the big/small ends?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 08:43 PM)Piggy Wrote: does a 106 gti crank not fit?!

could uprate it somehow with parts from that?!

(22-09-2013, 08:44 PM)samass Wrote: Explain to me your thoughts on a gti crank?

GTi and 1.5D cranks are the same, so there's no advantage.

1.5D rods are slightly shorter as well iirc, because it has a thicker piston crown so the little end is "further" away from the head of the piston.

Stroke is the same, but the bore on a 1.5D is 77mm and I think the 1.6 is 78.5mm?

Liam, if you lower the compression it won't start, or it'll be a right bastard to start Tongue Maybe not in warmer weather mind you. It'll be more efficient with high compression and less boost.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Head lift I haven't done yet, I disturbed the gasket at pugfest when someone left the rad Al off and it ran out of coolant, but I don't actually think head lift was an issue.

I Prefer to stick with the standard compression for the thermal efficiency etc and starting, but I'll see how a rebuilt engine copes I guess, and when I get a few more gauges
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
aye but if the gti crank is the same...can you get hold of some uprated bearings for it Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ah, I thought when you said you fixed the head by torquing it down that meant it had lifted. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did considering the boost you've been running. What are your plans for the rebuild? Just standard spec but all new? Also make sure it's at the f*cking xmas meet, this is honestly my favourite car on the forum and I want a ride!
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 09:46 PM)Piggy Wrote: aye but if the gti crank is the same...can you get hold of some uprated bearings for it Smile
Ahhh now I see your thinking, I thought for a moment that you gunna try and tell me to stroke it cuz "there isn't a replacement for displacement" like our resident redneck officer thinks. It's a 1.5,its staying a 1.5.itll only be anything bigger when I get round to using a 1.6 Hdi.
But nah, don't think there is any uprated bearings, and cba spending the money tbh.

(22-09-2013, 09:46 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Ah, I thought when you said you fixed the head by torquing it down that meant it had lifted. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did considering the boost you've been running. What are your plans for the rebuild? Just standard spec but all new? Also make sure it's at the f*cking xmas meet, this is honestly my favourite car on the forum and I want a ride!

well, it might have, but I doubt a poxy gt15 is gunna few enough to lift the head, no matter how wanks the bolts are lol

Yeah standard but new, with an Mrs head gasket and new oil seals, the underside of he car has enough f*cking oil over it to feed Africa.

Haha cheers man, it might do, mot is due then, so we'll see lol

Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 10:01 PM)samass Wrote:
(22-09-2013, 09:46 PM)Piggy Wrote: aye but if the gti crank is the same...can you get hold of some uprated bearings for it Smile
Ahhh now I see your thinking, I thought for a moment that you gunna try and tell me to stroke it cuz "there isn't a replacement for displacement" like our resident redneck officer thinks. It's a 1.5,its staying a 1.5.itll only be anything bigger when I get round to using a 1.6 Hdi.
But nah, don't think there is any uprated bearings, and cba spending the money tbh.

(22-09-2013, 09:46 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Ah, I thought when you said you fixed the head by torquing it down that meant it had lifted. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did considering the boost you've been running. What are your plans for the rebuild? Just standard spec but all new? Also make sure it's at the f*cking xmas meet, this is honestly my favourite car on the forum and I want a ride!

well, it might have, but I doubt a poxy gt15 is gunna few enough to lift the head, no matter how wanks the bolts are lol

Yeah standard but new, with an Mrs head gasket and new oil seals, the underside of he car has enough f*cking oil over it to feed Africa.

Haha cheers man, it might do, mot is due then, so we'll see lol

If it's not looking like being ready I'll lob my hammers in the boot and set off down the M1 to help Wink
Thanks given by:
Hahaha watch out, I'm likely to hold you to that!

Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 10:05 PM)samass Wrote: Hahaha watch out, I'm likely to hold you to that!

Fine, any excuse to use hammers!
Thanks given by:
Rofl

Thanks given by:
Samass, loving your rough arse, bodge-tastic approach to this car! Hope you get it running again soon Smile
You've been inspiring me to start fettling my shed. It's got a bosch on it already (bit of luck) I've had a quick look over the pump for bits to fiddle with but it's totally different to the 1.9 pump Sad I've also been lacking in google-foo looking for info. Can you send me a link or a clue onto where the fuel screw is please?
I've read they are strangled on the inlet side and on the exhaust too, sure I can help that easy enough tho. The engines only got 86,000 on it so hopefully not a bad start Smile
Cheers

Paul.
Thanks given by:
he is running a bosch from a xud9te not a tu5
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ta for that, I'd skimmed the thread and missed that bit. Never contemplated one of those fitting. CBA with that at the mo tho, would rather tweak the original pump if I can for starters.
Thanks given by:
U can tweak the original pumps, you have to take off the armor at the right of the pump to access the fuel screw tho. I've not had a fiddle with a nad bosch, but afaik they're pretty much the same

the inlet and exhaust as stock are pretty Damn restricted, look at the downpipe and that'll show you what I mean! But even a little tweak on the pump should see a few more ponies

Thanks given by:
sam, have you not thought about dropping a 1.6 HDI with the turbo in ?
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 03:51 PM)procta Wrote: sam, have you not thought about dropping a 1.6 HDI with the turbo in ?

Yep, that's the next plan after I've maxed out the tud

Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 04:21 PM)samass Wrote:
(23-09-2013, 03:51 PM)procta Wrote: sam, have you not thought about dropping a 1.6 HDI with the turbo in ?

Yep, that's the next plan after I've maxed out the tud

TUD has infinite power. you'll never get to the 1.6 HDi stage.
Thanks given by:
Rofl
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Shit. Good point.

Thanks given by:
Also surely the 1.4 HDi is better as it will keep the car in the lower tax bracket.
Thanks given by:
nah, 1.4hdis are wanky

Thanks given by:
Can't seriously believe the dvla will grant a tax discount for a downsizing the engine. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
^^ that too

and at any rate, once i'm done with it, it won't be producing any less emissions, that for sure!!

Thanks given by:
doesnt it come in at the lower tax anyway ATM?
Thanks given by:
70 something for 6 months i think. ill find out at the end of the month when i re tax it lolz

Thanks given by:
Well... wat do?
Thanks given by:
itssss getting scrapped.

shell is fubar, how ever, the block is still fine, suprisingly. massive dents in the pistons from whe the belt let go lolz

Thanks given by:
defo needs all the win transfered into another nad
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2013, 10:20 PM)samass Wrote: itssss getting scrapped.

shell is fubar, how ever, the block is still fine, suprisingly. massive dents in the pistons from whe the belt let go lolz

reshell it, just drop the full works into a petrol shell.
Thanks given by:
ah shame dood.

I maybe interested in couple bits if you break it up...but I think you should stick at it!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: