Another which car? thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another which car? thread
Volvo 940 2.3 turbo... with a massive turbo
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 11:39 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: how about a nissan 200 SX?

Not too keen on owning a big jap turbo car really, think it would be very hard to find a good one now as well.

(16-12-2012, 09:12 AM)Poodle Wrote: E36 328i? More up to date than the e30s, and generally easier to find in good condition as they aren't the type to be ragged, generally speaking.

Also thought about these yeah, closest thing you can get to an m3 without m3 running costs aren't they?

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...998/921538

(16-12-2012, 09:45 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: I've had this problem but even with a hypothetical budget of 8k...

S2k.

Leon Cupra R -

Focus rs mk1 yes! But still a bit of an image thing with those nor into cars...

Focus St isn't a bad shout, but again its newer, it's about as quick as a 6 anyway, heavier, more numb etc etc etc. I do like em but not sure enough to buy one!

You could try mr2s?dupposedly rapid with the right mods..

Mk1 RS are a bit out of budget unfortunately, mkII STs

MR2's, yes i've heard the handling is very sweet as well. Might sound strange but the fact that they look like an obvious 'sports car' kind of puts me off.

A problem with all these 90's jap turbo cars is that by now 95% have been modded badly or had the turbo wound up or both.

(16-12-2012, 10:28 AM)Jukie88 Wrote: Clio 182 with cup package ???
Golf v6 4 motion remap it and you have yourself r32 power ???

Renault 5 gt

Pulsar gtr ?

Older evos 1/2/3 ??

Starlet turbo??

Eacort r's turbo ??

I'm also pondering what to get as next year the st is being sold all these I've looked at and all look like a good shout

Golf v6 4 - too boaty

Renault 5 gt - too small

Pulsar gtr ? - heard they don't handle very well?

Older evos 1/2/3 ?? - try finding a good one

Starlet turbo?? - too chavvy

Eacort r's turbo ?? - too chavvy/all complete shit or other end of the spectrum mint and £xxxxx
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Anything rwd with any sort of power is going to ra*e you on insurance bud! Most company's say no if you havnt got a years experience driving high power rwd cars
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
how about what bingham said, look at volvos

850 t5 R?
v70R?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Just a suggestion.. but 300zx? RWD and TTV6 = win.. plus i got a quote on one out of curiosity.. £50 cheaper than the 6'!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Was looking for a t5r for a pal of mine awsome cars but rare as fook, he wanted a yellow one with the graphite rims!!! We only found one and it was in Glasgow lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
T5R/850Rs are getting rare as now, and they're pretty much all autos... You could get yourself a T5, frankly there's very little difference between them, just the bodykit and a wee bit more power... They're a properly quick straight line car if tuned and the noise is something else, but they don't go round corners especially well..

Most stuff Jap of that era is either RWD and consequently all been turned into tramp drifters... Also the reason they're all drift wagons is because they aren't especially good handling cars, they're not hot hatches put it that way, anything with a CA18 will be f*cked without fail - they're not a reliable engine when in the hands of Dwayne, SR20s are too expensive usually...

MR2s are OK, the Turbos are properly quick, but after being in one (admittedly never driven one hard) over Black Mountain Pass in Wales, they do slingshot out of corners amazingly well etc, but if you break traction on the rear end, prepare to saw at the steering wheel and REALLY have your wits about you, up until the limit they are very sweet, but past the limit they really are a handful, like a PROPER f*cking handful lol! I remember an incident whilst with him, lighting up the rear tyres coming out of a corner, up a hill and almost ending in a ditch... It's a mid engine, short wheelbase, RWD car - it's a recipe for a VERY twitchy car.

328i is probably quite a good option, not especially quick, but well within your bracket... Aren't the best cornering cars as standard, but a few mods and you can have a very nice car to drive...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Also worth noting that the 328i can get a fair gain cheaply if you do the M50 manifold swap, they'll run around 220+bhp afterwards and pull so much harder than standard, i drove my brothers before he wrote it off and they are great fun to drive
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%...w6YwIN2IQc

Watch this. Its a propa sleeper volvo.

Ther are loads like it aswell
Thanks given by:
Thought about an fto ? Pretty similar speed to a 6 but handle really nicely, probably get raped on insurance though hence why i didn't get one
Thanks given by:
Saab? Turbo'ed and cheap as chips now
Thanks given by:
Ok so I know you said you didn't need a boot or rear seats etc and one of the cars you did mention was the integra type r it had a couple of bad points so how about the Accord type R?
Now I know that some peeps are going to slate its image as a grandad looking car but this really is a Wolf in Sheeps clothing and there are plenty of good examples out there in your budget with history and subtle mods and not chavved up.
Build quality is brilliant, lots of potential from a good strong engine/box oh and reliable too.
Thanks given by:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Was following a 205 Mi16 today. I think I'm in love...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
What about this, yeah it's an auto and yes it's possibly not the best looking car in the world but 300hp for £1200 is not to be sniffed at IMO!

Item no 110978867765

Cos I'm lazy
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
MK1 MX5s are fantastic cars for reasons other than their (lack of) pace, it's the fact that you can use most of their power most of the time - the car can be driven on its' easy-to-find limit down most roads. Yes they are a little cramped inside, but that adds to the atmosphere - they are a small car and they feel it. Seating only really becomes an issue if you are much over 6 foot. As for reliability? Only ever had one fault with mine; leaky cam cover gasket, cost a few quid and half an hour to put right!

Down a twisty road the earlier cars will keep up with a GTi6 too, the gearing is much, much better.

2.0NA MR2s are nice, bit quicker than a GTi6 with better weight distribution etc. The really fast ones are the Turbo's but they lose points for not being quite as good a drivers car.

VTec etc. is not always fun. You basically have to drive the car on maximum attack everywhere you go to get anything from it, by which point it's doing very low empee gee's. Integra's are overpriced for what you get too IMO, but this is primarily the fault of their cult following.

In your position I'd test drive as much as I could and probably end up with a BMW 6-pot of some description.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
330Ci in your price range?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 10:31 PM)Ruan Wrote: Imprezas are a quick car, but aren't a hot hatch... Depends what you want, they're all again predictably safe understeer on the limit, yes the limit is higher, but all that means is that the speed you're going is regularly higher than a hot hatch... An Impreza isn't there to stick a big grin on your face on twisty windy roads, it's purely there to grip as hard as it can and get fast out of corners... Some people get their kicks from this, but I prefer the chuckable-ness and sweet *handling* of a good hot hatch... Not the outright grip and seriousness of an AWD car...
This is where your so right, and that seriousness makes it scary and fun and just epic! I find the whole in and out the corners as fast as possible sooo much more fun than FWD, Like you say some get there kicks from this some dont, I knew as soon as i went out in one thats what i want lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
All it means to me is that when you reach the limit of grip, you end up going so much faster before you lose it because the handling is so twitchy... Can't stand that, you can't push the limits without it biting you on the ass, I prefer a car where you can have a good time pushing the cars limits and knowing how it responds past the limit at a lower speed, staying within the cars grip is just boring IMHO... I like to know the limit of a car, and know what it's like past that...

That's me though...
Thanks given by:
Right, I take some criticism for preferring classic cars to modern, but no modern car can match the feedback of unassisted steering, the turn-in of a car that weighs under a tonne, or the sound of an engine that isn't covered in plastic. If you're bothered by 0-60 times or lateral G potential my suggestions won't appeal, but if you want something that will make you look forward to nipping to the shops for a pint of milk and a mars bar, read on. I know what I'm talking about, and that's why I'll only suggest cars I've driven...

205 GTI 1.9 - Sublime handling, engine that loves to be thrashed, great gearchange, and on a twisting road through the dales still as quick as anything else you can buy. £3.5k would get a minter like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GT...07f&_uhb=1

Don't believe the bullshit either, of course the 1.9 is better, it has more power!

Ford Capri 2.8i - Is it fast? No, not really, especially not round a wet corner with cart springs, but you sit down low with a long bonnet with a huge power bulge stretching ahead of you, the V6 sounds awesome and the arse end squats like a Mustang when you boot it, plus have you seen what these things look like?

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...ion/830333

VW Golf GTI - The original hot hatch. Mk1 is amazing to drive, very similar to a 205 but more solid and planted, and with a nicer engine, the mk2 is comfier and roomier, and 95% as nice to drive. Both show you how good Golfs were before they got fat.

mk1 - http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...982/960832

mk2 - http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...reg/947980

Corrado VR6 - Great looking, amazing soundtrack, sublime engine with the most even torque curve you've ever known, fantastic handling, rarity and reliability, everyone should drive one once!

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...bhp/958113

635 CSI - Smooth, torquey big six, silky autobox, soft ride, undeniable presence and class, and f*cking PIMP!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-BMW-635-C...30b&_uhb=1

RX-7 - No low down torque and drinks oil like there's no tomorrow but stunning looks, drives like a big MX-5, and have you heard a boosted Wankel on full scream at 9.5k?

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...rx7/922657

190E Cosworth - Great chassis, revvy oversquare 4 pot valver, brilliant build quality and far more class than a Sierra.

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...sic/286054

944 S2 - One of the best front engine RWD chassis ever made, and it's a Porsche...

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...989/916015

Be different. All these cars feel special to drive, and there's a good chance they'll increase in value...

Your call brah Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2012, 06:16 PM)Ruan Wrote: 330Ci in your price range?

Looks like it! http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...car/962223

Also i'm with you about the speed thing, I'd imagine you'd find yourself doing 80+ down most B roads in an Imprezza/Evo like it was nothing, no fun at all. And wallet raping to run.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2012, 09:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: 190E Cosworth - Great chassis, revvy oversquare 4 pot valver, brilliant build quality and far more class than a Sierra.

WANT!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I was going to get a 330ci a while back, but they're just too refined for my liking, it makes them boring. My 330d drove me mad, 190bhp rear drive and I was bored to death
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2012, 09:54 PM)Poodle Wrote:
(16-12-2012, 09:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: 190E Cosworth - Great chassis, revvy oversquare 4 pot valver, brilliant build quality and far more class than a Sierra.

WANT!

Genuinely brilliant car to drive, amazing balance. They did amazing work to the chassis, transformed the 190 into a true sports car. Shitloads of grip with zero understeer, and the most progressive and controlled oversteer I've ever known...

I heart these things!
Thanks given by:
i like what liam said about a corrado vr6, having been a passenger they sound immense with a decent exhaust and look good and handle good Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2012, 09:56 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: i like what liam said about a corrado vr6, having been a passenger they sound immense with a decent exhaust and look ok if a bit awkward with the long nose and handle amazingly well from something cobbled together from bits of mk2 Golf and Passat Smile

Couple of edits there Wink
Thanks given by:
^^^ hahahaha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I do love 'rados though Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Corrado is a great option, Mk2 golf if you swap the engine for an ABF or a 1.8t... The 2.0 8v torquey as it is is a bit.of a wet fish...

Love 944s, adore 190es, all great suggestions from Liam... Tbh apart from the Mk3 love, Liam has a pretty impeccable taste in cars... His taste in music ain't bad either!

Only one in that list I wouldn't take is the Capri, but of you like the idea of a Muscle car in a ford shell, the Capri is the closest you'll get... The Capri just needs an epic engine to go with, the V6 makes a racket but isn't worthy enough, needs a big Jap V8 imo, if I wanted something to make me feel like a proper man, a Capri with a big Jap V8 would be epic!
Thanks given by:
200sx s14a FTW
Thanks given by:
I've always wanted a 'rado! I considered it when I was in the market for my first '6; but I couldn't justify the ridiculous mpg given they're no quicker than a '6....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by: