Engine issue, can anyone help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine issue, can anyone help?
35mpg on petrol (bear in mind its cheaper than diesel!) costs about 16ppm.....reckon I could average 35mpg tbh, I've been told 65mpg average isn't possible on a PD too, clearly from my fuel reciepts, it is! Wink

That's why diesels that only do 45mpg average are pointless! Tongue. Barely save anything at all over petrol.
Thanks given by:
I have this problem with my derv as well, and I know I need a new thermoswitch/temperature sensor.

Do your fans kick in?

I really hope that it's not the injectors lol

BTW mines done 134k
“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Dude, you sig is farking huge!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 06:41 PM)Poodle Wrote: Rofl

Tom you do spout some shite.

lol

(10-09-2012, 09:47 PM)kyleo92 Wrote: I have this problem with my derv as well, and I know I need a new thermoswitch/temperature sensor.

Do your fans kick in?

I really hope that it's not the injectors lol

BTW mines done 134k

Na I don't think they do. But temp gauge is never above 80 so they wouldn't?
I'll be at garage tomorrow getting it checked out and suggesting he looks at the injectors. But fingers crossed. Though I'm sure there are worse things it could be... lol

Slow replies because the girlfriend went into labor the night before last and had baby at 7am yesterday. Around working and not sleeping. Dead on my feet...
Thanks given by:
been using morrisons fuel or crap fuel or veg or bio?
that shit killed one of my injectors
it cause a lumpy idle like it wernt firing on one cylinder but cleared when the car was being driven
new injectors cured the fault
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 07:10 AM)cully Wrote: been using morrisons fuel or crap fuel or veg or bio?
that shit killed one of my injectors
it cause a lumpy idle like it wernt firing on one cylinder but cleared when the car was being driven
new injectors cured the fault

I do fuel up at Morrisons, but no shit there's another in town Texaco maybe? But it's like 5p more per litre... And no other stations within useable distance. Sad I'd use it if economy went up along with cost so it balanced out. May try a tank. Smile
In my last car I used Shell all the time, but lived in a bigger town when I did that and the supermarket station was a nightmare to get in so I refused. This is more like an oversized village. :p
Thanks given by:
morrisons fuel has i higher content of bio in the mix which is more corosive it cleans the lines this is what blocked one of my injectors giving a crap idle

morrisons here is 5ppl cheaper too but i refused to use it now as it cost me a set of injectors
Thanks given by:
I never put supermarket fuel in mine unless it's tescos momentum.. I think I put morrisons in once, £90 brimmed to the top..

How bad are injectors to change... Coming from someone with minimal mechanical knowledge?

And you think replace all of them at the same time

Thanks given by:
Congratulations Ben! Id think that temp sensor is worth checking out, be a cheap fix if it comes good.

Its easy enough to change the injectors, they can just be a pig to pull out of the block. Personally id change the whole lot, if one's playing up theres a good chance the others arent too far behind.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 04:10 AM)Poodle Wrote: Dude, you sig is farking huge!

Mine??

Thanks given by:
Yeah man, takes up nearly half my screen lol. Although i do have a pretty small screen...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 07:48 AM)cully Wrote: morrisons fuel has i higher content of bio in the mix which is more corosive it cleans the lines this is what blocked one of my injectors giving a crap idle

morrisons here is 5ppl cheaper too but i refused to use it now as it cost me a set of injectors

My next tank will be Texaco, I'll compare pence per mile and go from there. Smile

(11-09-2012, 02:57 PM)Poodle Wrote: Congratulations Ben!

Many thanks. Smile

I hear from my mechanic (through random conversation) that his brother may well be scrapping his HDi meridian... I think the rear axle is on its way to collapse. I may offer £20/£50 over scrap value if that's the case as he tells me the engine is sound, so new injectors for me, diesel dials, back up engine for one day, brakes and a shit load else. Shouldn't work out too much money in comparison either as my girlfriend scrapped her M reg 1.9 td 306 for £110 in April. lols.

Turned out he was mega busy today and couldn't test anything this afternoon, so it's in Tuesday/Wednesday coming for a good inspection.

I'll keep some updates rolling as and when.
Thanks given by:
Soooo...

Culprit was...

Blocked injectors, by little metal shavings from the fuel pump going... Happy days! Undecided
Thanks given by:
Thanks for updating fella, did you have to spend out much in the end?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-10-2012, 07:22 PM)Poodle Wrote: Thanks for updating fella, did you have to spend out much in the end?

Not sorted yet. He was going to swap a new set of injectors in today, but upon opening it all up found the metal shit which wasn't there last time he opened it up...
He's pricing and making a list of parts as new.
Then I'm gonna use the list to source new/second hand of the same parts dependant on the cost of new.

I'm looking at about £60 to refurb each injector (Pug want £307 each plus VAT for new!). Plus the other parts... And labour. May be on the look out for a crashed HDi or something so I can source the parts I need. Undecided

I'll update with costs when I've got them. Smile
Thanks given by:
you need to use glow plugs whenever you start a diesel? there job is to heat the compression chamber to a temp which the diesel will ignite when you crank it over, and when you dont wait for them it takes a few seconds to get going... is that common knowledge or am i having a blonde moment?

sorry is some has already said this, i didnt read all the comments lol
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
Jack, you're thinking of IDIs, DI diesel engines don't need the glow plugs in this climate, will happily start without them.

How did metal shavings get through to the injectors..? If he was the last one in there, and it's only happened since then....
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-10-2012, 03:53 AM)Poodle Wrote: How did metal shavings get through to the injectors..? If he was the last one in there, and it's only happened since then....

The engine issue has been happening from cold since the first morning I could use her (due to having to sell old car & swap insurance before use which was two weeks after purchase) so it must have been so when I got it. Probably just warmed her up before the viewing.
Thanks given by:
Covered this in pm's bud, the original cutting out was almost certainly down to the lift pump, and only the lift pump.

For anyone wondering what this is about; if you open your fuel filter housing and discover what looks like glitter at the bottom of the housing, don't replace the filter before flushing out all the bits of metal from the housing. Otherwise the bits of metal will flow through the HP (read fragile) side of your fuel system and result in one seriously expensive mess...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2012, 06:58 PM)Poodle Wrote: Covered this in pm's bud, the original cutting out was almost certainly down to the lift pump, and only the lift pump.

For anyone wondering what this is about; if you open your fuel filter housing and discover what looks like glitter at the bottom of the housing, don't replace the filter before flushing out all the bits of metal from the housing. Otherwise the bits of metal will flow through the HP (read fragile) side of your fuel system and result in one seriously expensive mess...

All the confusion in the PMs about what you were on about has finally cleared in that one paragraph. I now know what the sarcasm was for and what you were on about with competency!!

It's f*cked because he took the filter out to show me and put the filter back without clearing, therefore the 'glitter' had bypassed the filter and got in the rest of the system!!

Sorry mate. Should have asked for clarification at the time. +1
Thanks given by:
Haha i did wonder why you didn't seem very bothered. Sorry i didn't explain it better at the time, I didn't want to be too offensive about the mechanic as he's a friend of yours.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(18-10-2012, 06:31 AM)Poodle Wrote: Haha i did wonder why you didn't seem very bothered. Sorry i didn't explain it better at the time, I didn't want to be too offensive about the mechanic as he's a friend of yours.

I'm gonna keep an eye on things. Obviously I'll be posting in here so if anything else happens 'strange' I'll be finding somewhere else to take her. Smile

He has done great jobs on my old car, my girlfriends last 3 cars and my parents 2 cars plus some other people too complicated to mention as well as all the customers I don't know. I'm hoping he had a bad day or something and just had a strange moment and didn't think about what he was doing.

No apology needed mate. You've been a massive help on a variety of things. Smile
Thanks given by: