Torsion Bars.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torsion Bars.
HOW THE HELL?

Do people get the buggers out!

I had a go at lowering the back last weekend, couldn't get the bars to come out. What methods do people use?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Slide hammer or a bolt through a big socket. give it loads of penetrating spray and keep doing it for a week or so
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Slide hammer, socket, bolt, nut and washer method... Which seems to be the most affective. Kris and others use a strengthened version of this which seems to work very well.

I tried the pulling into a socket method, with high tensile bolts... Kept stripping the threads as mine were so seized too Sad
Thanks given by:
I tried the socket method, stripped a heat treated manifold bolt, bent some high tensile threaded bar, stripped the thread from a nut, yelled at the thing and tried again.

Is it easier with the beam off the car? As I have some thicker TB's and solid mounts on the way....

Thanks given by:
They're supposedly easier off the car, never attempted it myself
Thanks given by:
I guess we'll see.

Not looking forwards to trying my mate's phase 2..

Thanks given by:
Well it can't be any worse than my phase 1, take some comfort in that lol
Thanks given by:
Oh I do..... Big Grin

Thanks given by:
I literally broke a sledge hammer trying to get mine out.

Dropped the beam in the end and hit it a lot with another sledge - not fun at all.

Had spent a good couple of weeks fannying about with slide hammers and penetrating oils beforehand.

Good luck!
Thanks given by:
FFS it's only done 48k!

Thanks given by:
The other method I've heard is to cut the end of a scrap torsion bar, and hit it from the other side rather than pull...
Thanks given by:
can't hit it from other side as it has end caps and a bolt thing through it
Thanks given by:
I was gonna say that.. Or do the end caps come off?

Thanks given by:
MASSIVE F*CKING HAMMERS!!!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Tried that, broke stuff, shouted.

Thanks given by:
Really? F*ck me, if massive hammers don't work anymore how are we supposed to do anything on cars?!?!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
You can buy new studs/bolts and end caps from peugeot - mine took about 3/4 months to come (id given up and they arrived in the post one day)

so in theory if all else fails you can hit the torsion bars from that end and through the end caps and replace caps and those bolts (they screw in)

Replace the seals whilst you're at it, they're not that expensive and more readily available from pug.
Thanks given by:
Yes but I assumed they came of. Like I said, not something I'd done, something I'd read...
Thanks given by:
That was a depressing day, must have sat around for at least 4 hours wondering WHY THE F*CK IS THIS NOT WORKING?!?!?!? haha
Thanks given by:
fire. fire fixes everything.
especially 'personal disputes'
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Fire goes down well, bar with bearings and seals, doesent go down with either of them.....

Spent a good 9 hours with screwdrivers, chisels and bars doing a mates phase 1... was a funky chicken dance about moment....
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2012, 07:05 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Tried that, broke stuff, shouted.
HAHHAHAHA!!!! Acctually made me LOL.
reminds me of when me an pugmon did mine

(05-10-2012, 08:18 AM)PUGMON Wrote: Spent a good 9 hours with screwdrivers, chisels and bars doing a mates phase 1... was a funky chicken dance about moment....
Lmao!!! That was an awfull 9 hours!!
Claw hammer win though!! haah
Thanks given by:
I've been lubing mine up for a few weeks hopefully its not too bad, I have plenty of hammers so should be fine, only 16 year old 150k car should be fine right?!
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 12:08 PM)kernow_joe Wrote: I've been lubing mine up for a few weeks hopefully its not too bad

ORLY Itwasntme Angel
Thanks given by:
Kris b mad mine look easy! think he lowered my beam start - finish including multiple t breaks in 45 mins!!
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 12:24 PM)PUGMON Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 12:08 PM)kernow_joe Wrote: I've been lubing mine up for a few weeks hopefully its not too bad

ORLY Itwasntme Angel

also been treating my beam with lots of wd40 and gt85 action
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2012, 07:04 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: MASSIVE F*CKING HAMMERS!!!

lmao +1
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
Took 6 hours to do the front coillies and rear beam Smile although my cars on 47k. one beam came out like a slippery dildo but the other wasnt going anywhere!! We noticed that the actual arm was sliding off with with the other end of the torsion bar so simply moved the arm out until the other end of the bar popped out then rotated and replaced.

easy!
Thanks given by:
-__- Jelous.... Not got the issue with a mates new car, we're swopping the beam from his old car to the new one, the new ones abit rewssssty so saves the agro of the innevitable Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Off the car is a f*cking nightmare... I ended up pulling the bolt through the eccentric washer by attaching the other end to a post in the ground and sledge hammering it... It's just a total pig to do..

The only *easy* way to do it is to use a hydraulic bearing puller, that's the only way I removed mine, but you can only get them out of one side doing it like that, so you have only 3 options, OEM, 10mm lower or on the floor... Heat and hammers are the only way... Slide hammers you may as well not even bother with, every time I just break the slide hammer...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torsion Bars/ARBs - Sizes and Sources anto 43 47,704 26-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Stubborn torsion bars Mighty306 12 3,015 09-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Uprated torsion bars mossy1985 17 4,770 23-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: mossy1985