Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8 16v normal operating temperature
Hi Stewart.  The thermostat is meant to open at 83 degrees so normal operating temperature is 85 degrees-ish.  The fans kick in on low speed at 97 degrees on a model with AC.  (They'll run at high speed at 107 degrees but mine rarely gets that hot, even in the height of summer).

I am pretty sure the 1.8 has the same set up as the XSi (which is what I have).  If it has AC there will 3 thermostatic switches/sensors screwed in to the thermostat housing.  The blue one provides a feed to the gauge on the dash and nothing else.  The green one provides a temperature reading for the ECU.  The brown one is linked to the AC control unit and the fans.

It's possible for the blue sensor / dash gauge to be out while the car runs completely normally.  Alternatively, the thermostat is stuck slightly open or could be opening too early.  Hard to tell which without a way to check the true coolant temp.

Mine ran at a similar temp to yours (according to dash gauge).  Changed the thermostat and …..no difference!!  Has been like that for about 2 years now!!
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1.8 16v normal operating temperature - by Mighty306 - 27-02-2019, 09:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rallye normal temperature? OMEGAxCC 3 2,088 03-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  VHT paint and normal Daniel306 3 1,566 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Piggy