Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dums Stupid HDi Project 2009 - Now Scrapped!
Thought Id post this up so everyone can have a good oggle and as theres some useful stuff in here.

Its now very old and was scrapped over 18 months ago as it was all going wrong and i didnt have the money to continue.

Start 17/07/2009

Yes I know some of you are gonna kill me for this but 165bhp is slow and Im going for more power again. This isnt gonna be finished quickly however, its starting to get expensive and I can only spend so much on my car.

This project is gonna be in 2 parts though. Part 1 is breathing which is basically head, cam, manifolds, turbo and an external wastegate. Part 2 will be fueling and that means fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, injectors and the mother of all remaps.

Obviously this is all accademic if i end up going twin engined which is seriously tempting right now, even with no mods a 90 engine in the front and a 110 in the back would give a 200bhp HDi, both added together with good stage 2 tunes would give well over 300bhp.

Righty ho, Im starting with the breathing side of things as its the easier one to sort out. Ive been collecting parts so I can see how stuff goes together before it all goes away to be machined. Ive got a head, cam and injectors for £90, a pair of manifolds for £45, a GT17 turbo for £90 and Im gettin a wastegate for £100 as soon as Ive got money. Total for that is £325.

The plan is:
- Get the cam re-profiled by piper (£130)
- Get the head ported, polished and big valved (approx £400)
- Port the manifolds out myself and weld the wastegate flange onto the EGR flange (£40)
- Get the exhaust housing of a GT15 turbo machined out to fit the GT17 wheel (approx £100)
- Full set of new gaskets (£50)
- Remove EGR system and weld over hole on L-bend (£20)
- Adapt coolant system to run through turbo core (water and air cooled) (£60)
- Fitting for that little lot (£200)

So all in thatll be another £1000

Anyway my collection of bits so far.
Head with injectors and cam still intact.
[Image: HDiHead01.jpg]
[Image: HDiHead02.jpg]
[Image: HDiHead03.jpg]

Notice the valves dont lift very far, could make big valves pointless and save me some oney but ill have to do the maths on that when I get the cam back.
[Image: HDiHead07.jpg]
[Image: HDiHead08.jpg]
[Image: HDiHead09.jpg]
[Image: HDiHead10.jpg]
[Image: HDiHead11.jpg]

Notice the black marks on the face of it arround the ports, ripe for enlarging me thinks.
[Image: HDiHead04.jpg]
[Image: HDiHead05.jpg]
[Image: HDiHead06.jpg]

Inlet Manifold is a tad dirty but defo shows that its ripe for porting out too.
[Image: HDiManifolds02.jpg]
[Image: HDiManifolds06.jpg]
[Image: HDiManifolds01.jpg]
[Image: HDiManifolds03.jpg]
[Image: HDiManifolds04.jpg]
[Image: HDiManifolds05.jpg]

Exhaust manifold has the back half of a GT15 ready fot me to play with. The casting looks really thick and I think this will show the best gains from enlargement. the hole for the EGR is 25mm so im trying to find a really small wastegate but i recon I could take it out to 30mm, I dont want a 35mm wastegate as thets bigger than the exhaust ports currently are lol.
[Image: HDiManifolds07.jpg]
[Image: HDiManifolds08.jpg]
[Image: HDiManifolds09.jpg]

And my GT17 again.
[Image: GT17.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Dum-Dums Stupid HDi Project 2009 - Now Scrapped! - by Dum-Dum - 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dum-Dums VNT 2.1TD OEM+ Bianca Estate. (loads of pics and video now added) Dum-Dum 737 330,751 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
Heart Dum-Dums Bianca GTi6 Dum-Dum 516 352,878 30-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  The 2.1 Sedan. scrapped ozonehostile 334 133,037 21-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Last Post: ozonehostile