Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Number of Owners??
#1
Evening,

How many has your car had?

Does a lot of owners put you off buying a car?

Just found a potential car to go and look at....but it seems to have quite a high number of owners, and not sure whether this should put me off or not?? :think:

Cheers
Tom.
#2
I have had one car. I would be wondering why no-one kept it!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#3
Mines had 1, I would be warey because if it's a nice problem free car...whys it had so many owners...but then that's just my opinion lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
#4
My first dturbo i was the 7th, well 6th because my mate had it, sold it, then bought it back and my 2nd i was the 8th, if the history is there it wouldn't bother me
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#5
Foxy-jim Wrote:I have had one car. I would be wondering why no-one kept it!

See you say that (and it's what I was thinking too) but I've never kept a car for longer than a year myself....I get bored easily and always want more spec/power....just wondering if other people do that then it's easy to see how the owners could rack up over ~10 years.

Just had a look at all my old V5s (yes I have photocopies incase I need them) and most of my cars seem to have had 3 previous owners BUT my current car was only owned by one person, and two dealers...so that also makes it look like more owners!

Really not sure either way tbh. :think:
#6
Go and have a look and make your own judgment!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#7
Connor Wrote:My first dturbo i was the 7th, well 6th because my mate had it, sold it, then bought it back and my 2nd i was the 8th, if the history is there it wouldn't bother me

8th? :o Lol. It's only got part history, but I know the belt and pump have been done recently.
#8
Foxy-jim Wrote:Go and have a look and make your own judgment!

I don't trust my own judgement. :?

Also, I wanted to go and ninja it, but the guy won't give me his addy over internet....wants me to phone and make a time to go and view it properly. :|
#9
Technically i'm the 6th owner of mine but it actually has 7 because my dad 'bought' the car then 'sold' me the car..
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
#10
Just check the history out, if its all there then i really wouldn't see the problem... Yes tom 8th, its a 16 year old car... that's 1 owner every 2 years, doesn't seen so bad when put into perspective does it
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#11
Connor Wrote:Just check the history out, if its all there then i really wouldn't see the problem... Yes tom 8th, its a 16 year old car... that's 1 owner every 2 years, doesn't seen so bad when put into perspective does it

Doesn't it? I know plenty of cars that have the same owner for 5+ years!

The one I'm looking at is a '52 with 6 previous owners......that means I'd be the 8th right? Does that seem 'too many' to anyone else?

I mean apart from that it seems good - 5 doors, blue, right engine, newer than mine, just under 130k, right spec inc cruise and climate, alpine speakers, 8 months MOT and 11 months tax, even a full tank of fuel...................its just the number of owners putting me off atm. :point:
#12
Toms306 Wrote:
Connor Wrote:Just check the history out, if its all there then i really wouldn't see the problem... Yes tom 8th, its a 16 year old car... that's 1 owner every 2 years, doesn't seen so bad when put into perspective does it

Doesn't it? I know plenty of cars that have the same owner for 5+ years!

The one I'm looking at is a '52 with 6 previous owners......that means I'd be the 8th right? Does that seem 'too many' to anyone else?

I mean apart from that it seems good - 5 doors, blue, right engine, newer than mine, just under 130k, right spec inc cruise and climate, alpine speakers, 8 months MOT and 11 months tax...................its just the number of owners putting me off atm. :point:

Just stop being a fanny and get on with it tom! Past MOT's would mean more to me than the amount of owners a cars had
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
#13
Midnightclub Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Doesn't it? I know plenty of cars that have the same owner for 5+ years!

The one I'm looking at is a '52 with 6 previous owners......that means I'd be the 8th right? Does that seem 'too many' to anyone else?

I mean apart from that it seems good - 5 doors, blue, right engine, newer than mine, just under 130k, right spec inc cruise and climate, alpine speakers, 8 months MOT and 11 months tax...................its just the number of owners putting me off atm. :point:

Just stop being a fanny and get on with it tom! Past MOT's would mean more to me than the amount of owners a cars had

Do you reckon it seems rude to ask for the number on one of the mots so i can check the history online?

I'd do a HPI if they werent so bloody expensive!
#14
Exactly... so for the 3rd time... as long as the history checks out, its fine
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#15
Do one of those text check things they're only £3
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
#16
Hpi checks are worth the money, especially as you're already doubting its history...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#17
Connor Wrote:Hpi checks are worth the money, especially as you're already doubting its history...

My Mum works in finance so she may be able to ninja me one at work tomorow lol.......don't want to waste her time though unecessarily though. :think:
#18
I've had cars with 12+ owners, doesn't bother me at all. Always do a text check though, can't go wrong for £3!

Ask for one of the MOT numbers and have a look online to see what it's failed on in the past too!
#19
JJ0063 Wrote:Ask for one of the MOT numbers and have a look online to see what it's failed on in the past too!

And you only keep cars for two or three months lol so the next owner would be even more :o ........and I have done that ^^^ just waiting for a reply now. Smile
#20
I'm technically the 5th owner of mine, but one was my dad as I was only 16 when I bought it, and the 2nd and 3rd owners were mates so it's not as bad lol.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
#21
Tom you are turning into Flynn with these posts!

I'm the 9th owner of my car 3 of which were the first 3 years as it was a company car and got passed between companies.
Amount of owners doesnt say a thing. Use your common sense and go and look at it. Go over the paperwork very carefully and look for things that don't match. If it all matches up, and of course the car seems sound, it's fine!
also make sure you do a HPI check.

/end thread
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#22
The average private car owner will keep their car a few years as they cannot afford to keep changing it, unless they buy lemons and sell them on ASAP.

6 private owners for a 10 year old car, I would say its higher than average etc - what's the current owners reason for selling?

As long as you have the paperwork and fsh and a mechanic checking it, you'd be ok
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
#23
devils_fuel Wrote:6 private owners for a 10 year old car, I would say its higher than average etc - what's the current owners reason for selling?

Cos he wants an estate as he needs more space, which is fair enough tbh.


Also, not sure how friendly your mechanics are...but I don't think mine would be too happy about taking an hour and a half ut of his day to come and view a car with me lol. :roll:
#24
mines had 1. my farther in law. number of keepers dont really bother me as long as its been looked after with paper work to prove. ive had a 406 v6 coupe with 12 keepers.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
#25
My BM had had one previous keeper and the Rallye 3.

but as Niall said, who the f*ck cares?
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
#26
Ive no idea how many mine had. Dont really care
I know ed had it before me thats it
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
#27
I feature twice in the 'number of former keepers' of my 106 lol! I think it's up at something ridiculous like 17 now!! I don't give a shit though, its ridunculously economical and can be run on a shoe-string. and it has no major problems either Big Grin
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
#28
Ed Doe Wrote:I feature twice in the 'number of former keepers' of my 106 lol! I think it's up at something ridiculous like 17 now!! I don't give a shit though, its ridunculously economical and can be run on a shoe-string. and it has no major problems either Big Grin

Has no exhaust either lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#29
Ed Doe Wrote:I feature twice in the 'number of former keepers' of my 106 lol! I think it's up at something ridiculous like 17 now!! I don't give a shit though, its ridunculously economical and can be run on a shoe-string. and it has no major problems either Big Grin

17 lol...thats probably the highest on here...BUT its an old shitter (no offence) and I'm trying to buy something I can keep for a few years (yeah ok we all know it won't last that long but still...)! Bet your nice 6 doesn't have many though. Tongue
#30
I think mine is about 8 or 9?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)