Joey the VNT boosted 205!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joey the VNT boosted 205!
Thanks guys, in all honesty its not that hard. The hardest bit was getting the 2 little springs to stay put whilst you put the whole head assembly into the pump, whilst making sure the spacer doesnt fall out, whilst making sure the leverset sits in its little slot properly, and so on aha :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Love it Smile
Thanks given by:
Boots, overalls, cambelt kit and fuel pump! What am I up to this evening? Wink

[Image: IMG_20140114_161902_zps6tzdozyx.jpg]
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Awaits either

"holy hell its pulling well now!"

"205 won't start"

Or

"Theres an unwanted hole in my block"

Good luck though chap :-)
Thanks given by:
Hdi rods so if I end up with a hole I will be grumpy! It will start haha, and speed well that'll be awesome Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
With regards to the springs Tom, a dab of grease on each one makes the job easy Wink

Should go well, but dont rest to much faith in the hdi rods!!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2014, 06:47 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: With regards to the springs Tom, a dab of grease on each one makes the job easy Wink

Should go well, but dont rest to much faith in the hdi rods!!

That is exactly what i done sir Wink I dont rest THAT much faith in them, just the fact that they are slightly stronger and they will hopefully take away the "randomness" of rod failures. If i break a set of these then im pushing to hard, and that wont happen because i have mechanical sympathy Smile

[Image: IMG_20140114_232454_zpsnwmng8np.jpg]

Pictures are always needed.

So pump is swapped and locked off, bottom end is sort of locked off, cant really find anything that done it well, i think theres a punch in there at the minute but that doesnt exactly work well. Cam isnt locked atall its just chilling over the locking hole, will put a bolt in it tomorrow. Tensioner and idler are swapped over, wasnt going to replace the waterpump because it was done when the cambelt was last done, which wasnt that long ago its just my tensioner that needed changing because it was probably on 140k. Long story. But theres a rusty trail coming out of it but its literally underneath the pulley which is weird but whatever if its gotta be done then so be it. My engine mount actually wasnt attached to the engine very well either which was worrying.

But most annoyingly i really want that pump to be ok and i really want to time it up perfect first time, so theres alot of pressure on tomorrow, im being anal and want that belt to be tensioned up once and thats it.

So yeah if everyone could hope a pray for the best that would be great. Thats all for now.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
good luck for tomorrow, also what size clam have you used on the standard turbo hose? the black one obviously lol.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Theres a blue reducing one on the turbo, its 2" upto 2.25", i cant remember the exact clamp size, if you convert it to MM and look on ebay you could work it out.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Is it running with the 11mm yet? Wink

Thanks given by:
Not yet lol, its pissing it down here and im not walking to the workshop in the rain, and before anyone says im lazy its not in the bottom of my garden, bit further away than that.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Right so I didn't touch joey yesterday cba! But today I got it all timed up and and cranking over, and the pumps not working, one delivery valve is spurting fuel but the rest arent, that combined with no fuel coming out the return pipe when cranking makes us think vane pump, so the pumps back off to get torn down again. Good times. If anyone wants to come join in, be my guest.

[Image: IMG_20140116_163510_zpslhowgl67.jpg]
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
More happened this evening, pump torn down again. I put the vanes in the rotor the wrong way round, little things eh :/ anyway

[Image: IMG_20140116_202459_zpslscttax6.jpg]

Back to bare bones and back upto full pump again.

Stuck it on the car and yep you guessed it, still doesnt work. So after pissing about cleaning all the delivery valves, muching around with the stop solenoid and winding the max fuel screw it looks like it was firing a good amount of fuel, injector lines back on and bled through, started cranking nothing, bit more max fuel, nothing, swung the throttle arm round a bit and it starts fire a bit, then,

THE f*cking BATTERY DIES.

So i had to call it a night before i went f*cking ape shit at it, so its now just chilling like this:

[Image: IMG_20140116_231430_zpsi3kaff3d.jpg]

That is all. If people would like to contribute ideas to the issues or just some sympathy, go right ahead.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
*sympathy*
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 12:11 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: *sympathy*

I feel better already Heart
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Unlucky man. Think of the smile it'll give you when it's back on the road though!
Thanks given by:
Fair play for carrying on with it would have given up first time it didn't start lol keep it up soon be smiling when she is going like fook Wink

Thanks given by:
You'll get there mate, imagine it'll go like shit off a shovel afterwards!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Got it running today and its running crap, Throttle does nothing Til the last little bit of it, squeezing the primer makes it rev up more which screams vane pump, starts a lot easier after priming as well, I could hold it at full throttle and it would sit and 2k and priming made it Rev up more. I got so pissed off with it , wentbto run it back up and film it for Darren and I left the locking key in the fly, snapped that off and its now a lot shorter but still wedged in the fly and the engine casing and I could turn the engine either way to get it out. So I threw a hammer across the shop said a lot of words I don't use very often and then left it. I don't want to work on cars ever again.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 04:56 PM)Tom Wrote: Got it running today and its running crap, Throttle does nothing Til the last little bit of it, squeezing the primer makes it rev up more which screams vane pump, starts a lot easier after priming as well, I could hold it at full throttle and it would sit and 2k and priming made it Rev up more. I got so pissed off with it , wentbto run it back up and film it for Darren and I left the locking key in the fly, snapped that off and its now a lot shorter but still wedged in the fly and the engine casing and I could turn the engine either way to get it out. So I threw a hammer across the shop said a lot of words I don't use very often and then left it. I don't want to work on cars ever again.

Oh dear! Don't give up with it tho got a fair bit of work to get that snapped locking key out tho. Just get that out throw 9mm back on and give the 11mm to some one who knows what there doing with it and let them sort it out.

Good luck Big Grin

If all else fails I will buy it for £150 Wink lmao

Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 04:56 PM)Tom Wrote: I don't want to work on cars ever again.

You'll be back in the workshop tomorrow. Tongue

Seriously though, bad luck, but as others have said, will be worth it when you get there...eventually.
Thanks given by:
Been talking to Darren about this recently and came to realise that there not much point in me fault finding this because quite frankly i havent got a clue. So Darren and Chris came out this morning in the landy and we towed the 205 back to lobb land where Darrens going to pull it apart and find what i've missed. Its a shame for me to not see it through myself but atleast this way my blood pressure has chance to come down and i'll have some love back when i drive it.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 4i4u_zpsc0a47817.jpg]
hahahahaha! see that's what you get for laughing at me Tongue
Thanks given by:
And even though the buggers done nothing but piss me off i have bought a big old derv fuel filter housing for a big spin on filter and some new poly strut top mounts, just need to find some torsion bars now!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Appeared in my yard ealier after a short tow session.

[Image: IMG_20140118_115701.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140118_143212.jpg]

Sadly workshop already occupied with 2 cars being worked on, so have had to work on this in an outbuilding with limitied lighting, so not done much to it, but spent a few hours retrieving the flywheel lock which had curled over on itself locking the crank up...half dropped the trans enough to slide grinder disc in, and lopped that off, so set to pull the pump, repair that, re fit, tune up, and hopefully put smile back on Toms face after weekend. Much boost should be enabled once ive finished.

That is all.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
This guy ^^ Heart
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Had a chat with Darren today, Cars done and going like f*ck apparently, but my engine mount is coming loose on its own because theres no dowel in it, so Darrens going to sort that for me aswell before i (and i quote) "tear the f*cking engine out"
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Ok worked on this today for Tom,

Spent yesterday evening extracting the broken lock tool, but today removed the pump,

[Image: IMG_20140119_102015.jpg]

Stripped it bare, de greased and cleaned casings:

[Image: IMG_20140119_110515.jpg]

Rebuilt it, with "choice modifcations to internals":

[Image: IMG_20140119_120508.jpg]

Made up lda pin, weld / grind, does the job, no need for expensive blanks

[Image: IMG_20140119_154303.jpg]

Refitted to car:

[Image: IMG_20140119_124132.jpg]

Sadly during refitting in daylight, I realised that Tom has got some biggerr issues, and sadly is suffering from the typical engine mount falling off the side of the engine issue..most likely caused from lack of dowell pin..its snapped one bolt, and bent / buggered the others, so going to have to tear it apart again this week to see if its salvagable, which i think it is...however while it was together thought id test the pujmp give it a quick tune up, so nipped p engine bolts that still had threads best I could and set about putting rest of car back together.

Noticed boost pipes werent beaded, so with what I had planned figured this wasnt good, so beaded them:

[Image: IMG_20140119_134109.jpg]

Took rest off and did the lot while at it

[Image: IMG_20140119_135738.jpg]

Then got in the car to start it up, and was presented with a boost gauge that only read to 30 psi, I felt this was going to be an issue, so robbed the boost gauge out the Audi and tied it to the dash:

[Image: IMG_20140119_141638.jpg]

Then noticed there was no engine cooling at all, so dug this out of the front arch.....(deary me Mr Webber!!)

[Image: IMG_20140118_134936.jpg]

So re wired this with insulated rimps, fused on both control / high power sides, its not pretty, and not ideal, but its safe and tidy and most importantly operates the fans!

[Image: IMG_20140119_145159.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140119_145551.jpg]

All back together:

[Image: IMG_20140119_154504.jpg]

Took for brief drive, 1 mile up the road, and total lack of traction in the first 4 gears, i decided to pull over and up the fuel as it was only lighting the inside wheel to 90mph in 4th which I thought was a little poor, but sadly after just 1 mile the engine mount was all hanging off again / not having any of it.

So after speaking to Tom have decided pointless having it back without fixing it. So will strip left side of motor down and see if we can get new bolts in / new engine mount and hopefully revive it!

So good and bad news, but its a cracking little car and has a tonne of potential, (to kill someone!!!)
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Like a kid at christmas here.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Someones been busy!
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Project "KEV"....boosted Mini Piggy 59 18,798 24-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  The boosted 205 rat - pictures and video added (25.09.16) ginge191 134 59,110 21-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Last Post: ginge191