Posts: 1,070
Threads: 115
Joined: Oct 2012
This looks like a steal for the price:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360671050489?s...1438.l2649
As I've said before I use Draper DIY Series tools from Asda, 3/8 inch ratchet and a bunch of sockets for 6 pounds but I might just buy these Goodyear jobbies! You know it must be good quality because they make good tyres so...
Posts: 594
Threads: 25
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
3
Location: Leeds
Car Model/Spec: Vectra & Berlingo
This is same as the Rolson one. First set I ever bought ratchet was garbage but everything else was top draw. Good starter kit although for an extra £20 you can get a Halfords kit with life time guarantee.
Posts: 5,205
Threads: 91
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
83
Location: Oxfordshire/Cornwall
Car Model/Spec: Moonstone DT/Volvo V50
Eugh!!!
Get some Halfords Advanced or some Teng...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. 
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Posts: 1,070
Threads: 115
Joined: Oct 2012
Is Goodyear really not well regarded for their tools then? I guess it is hard to top Halfraulds advanced considering how you get a lifetime guarantee with them though and they are open 7 days a week. I just wanted to try something different but it looks like there is literally nothing in the same price range that is as good.
Posts: 8,749
Threads: 208
Joined: Jan 2012
Reputation:
60
Location: Wiltshire
Car Model/Spec: ph2 Gti6 / ph4 HDI Estate
good year well regarded???? iv never heard of any one using it........ what does that tell you
And if it is rebranded rolson it really isn't worth the time of day
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!
Posts: 1,070
Threads: 115
Joined: Oct 2012
How does one find good value quality tools if one can't trust a brand name?
Posts: 19,854
Threads: 581
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
195
Location: Bournemouth
Car Model/Spec: Supercharged 306 GTi6
Listen to the advice above and buy halfords or teng?
Team Eaton
1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Posts: 7,825
Threads: 465
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
114
Location: Cullompton Devon
Car Model/Spec: Vauxhall
halfords,Tang,Britool,Gedore,Bahco,Facom,Bergen
i can recommend these names but do remember that good names do make crap tools within there own range
Posts: 1,070
Threads: 115
Joined: Oct 2012
(14-06-2013, 03:13 PM)306carter Wrote: This is same as the Rolson one. First set I ever bought ratchet was garbage but everything else was top draw. Good starter kit although for an extra £20 you can get a Halfords kit with life time guarantee.
Not actually sure mate. I just found the Rolson one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLSON-TOOLS-9...485222a4e1
Look at the straight bit of the ratchet on the Goodyear set compared to the straight bit of the ratchet in the Rolson set:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOOD-YEAR-TOOL...53f9ab7af9
The Goodyear ratchet looks significantly beefier.
Posts: 20,092
Threads: 591
Joined: Nov 2012
Reputation:
54
Location: Cotswolds
Car Model/Spec: Stage 13 16v HDi
Signet ftw.
I have found them always to be excellent quality, close to snap on, for half the price, and with lifetime.
I got/get it all in the trade though, not sure how available it is otherwise
There seems to be a trend with you wanting crap/cheap tools though Puggy....like parts for your car, if its cheap, its generally for a reason
Posts: 1,070
Threads: 115
Joined: Oct 2012
19-06-2013, 04:47 PM
(This post was last modified: 19-06-2013, 04:50 PM by 306Puggy.)
Well, I've never had a bad experience with cheap tools. The Draper DIY series ratchets and sockets have seen me through every job I've done so far. The Halfords Phase spanners have never not once let me down either. The only "premium" tool I have had was a Draper Expert 1/2" breaker bar which the knuckle broke twice and both times Unipart refused to replace the damn thing.
Edit: Looked at some of that Signet stuff and it's not as good value as the Goodyear which I think I might buy. With tools it seems 90% psychological; if people think the tools are good quality then they'll feel more pleasure from using them.
Posts: 2,490
Threads: 164
Joined: Jun 2012
Reputation:
25
Location: Honiton
Car Model/Spec: Gti6
Can speak from experience about teng being brilliant quality alright its a little pricey but its worth it
Cheaper sockets and spanners are great for aabuse but not when you want to undo that nut which is about to round off
Posts: 20,092
Threads: 591
Joined: Nov 2012
Reputation:
54
Location: Cotswolds
Car Model/Spec: Stage 13 16v HDi
or use a lot...
diy spanners are for diyers.