Tool set/socket set advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool set/socket set advice
Just spotted this amazing deal on Amazon.com. As everyone who lives in this country knows, Clarke and Sealey are two very well respected brands that have been around for decades. I was going to get the Crescent set, but this is British and therefore I am leaning towards it. We have discussed Halfords pro, I want something different. Bare in mind that I am currently using Draper DIY series from Asda, some Aldi workzone, some Phaze (from Halfords) and the occasional premium tools where necessary (such as Draper Expert, Sealey Premium and Halfords Pro) but they probably make up less than 5% of my total tool kit. My DIY series 3/8 inch Draper ratchet has been on the brink of failure for months now, but is still going strong.

I have looked at the Bahco set but it doesn't include spanners. This Clarke set seems to have everything covered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-Piece-Mec...s+tool+box

Edit: Hmm, no half inch or quarter inch ratchet :none:
Thanks given by:
Seems like a good deal IMO Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Thats the same set as Halfords sell after Christmas for about £60. IIRC Loads of people sell them under different brands as they are the same cheap tools with a different name badge on the front.
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing he doesn't wanna wait that long tho.

Does the stuff have a lifetime warrenty?
If not then don't bother, most Sealey stuff does even the poorly made, rebranded screwdriver set I found in a shop does.

That one's been back several times Big Grin
Thanks given by:
dumdum beat me to it i bought a few sets as i was getting them at £25 each and making a good profit Smile
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
I had a look and halfords dont sell it anymore but now do a 275pc kit for £80 that appears to be by the same manufacturer.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...yId_165572

That said they also got their big 150pc lifetime grantee kit half price at £99.99
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...ategoryId_
Thanks given by:
Chris that 275pc kit is wank, only has half the spanners you actually need to work on a car.

Personally, i'd just spend that bit extra, get the £100 Halfords kit, then buy the odd separate tool as and when you need it.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
All cheep tools are wank. Always the lifetime guarantee tools IMO
Thanks given by:
Had some 1st had experience with the one in the OP ..................... it would probably be better if the tools were made out of cheese TBH, the quality of the metal its all made out of is sooo poor im not sure how they can legally sell it under trading standards !!!

This is by far the biggest steamiest heap of shit tools your posted up so far puggy

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Haha! just weighing up my options. There are so many brands that it is confusing. I am finding a lot of the more "premium" brands such as Bahco don't do a full "all in" set, they do a set of spanners, a set of 1/4 and 1/2 inch ratchets and then a seperate set of a 3/8th inch ratchet and sockets. It's all really complicated if you don't want halfords pro. Guess I'll stick with the Crescent set, the most I've ever read about it through searching on Google is that it's "okay" though.
Thanks given by:
Just build up a decent collection over time, instead of trying to find a "kit". It won't be cheaper, or cheap, but it won't be so painful spread over time. Plus you get a decent set up out of it that you can rely on.

Just buy what you need, when you need it, make it quality and keep it for years.
Thanks given by:
Buy cheap/shit, buy twice.

My stuff is either Halfords Pro or Clarke from Machine Mart, both with guarantees and they do job nicely, even with some abuse from hammers occasionally.
Thanks given by:
TBH I kinda agree with Curt, a kit will never have everything you want in it, Mainly 11mm and 16mm sockets and spanners.

I started with a few bits of poundland shit and a £2 too box with a ratchet from a market. I started working for Honda so needed my own tools and got this with my first months pay >>>>> http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...yId_255215 <<<<< then the next month got a big tool chest and then over the last 10 years I've built up a massive tool collection.

It fills that full roll cab plus there's a load of big tools that don't fit in, plus power tools, plus my low entry jack, 3 pairs of axle stands and then there's a load of bits for doing electrical work in a separate tool box. It scared me valuing it for the insurance when I moved out.
Thanks given by:
I go with the start a job, get stumped, buy correct tool for the job from a quality brand, finish job with ease because I have the correct tool and havent had to struggle bodging. This way you have a set of what you need not some dross pot metal "tool chest filler" tools.

Tim.
Thanks given by:
Heh, that's exactly the same method I have used so far.
Thanks given by:
I have that set, ratchets have just started giving up after a couple years, but I'm gonna buy some halfords pro ones. The rest of it is good enough for most things tbh.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Well it would appear that my prayers have been answered Smile Although I have always sworn by Aldi "Work Zone" tools, they have never done a proper "socket set" so to speak, until this one:

All this, quick release ratchets, blow molded case, 3 year warranty (who needs that when you have German quality!?) for £40 of your English quids. How good is that!?

The only thing it doesn't have is a 3/8 ratchet which I will get the Bahco set for, I bet I won't even notice a difference in quality!
Thanks given by:
Just saying, my 150pc Halfords set with lifetime warranty was £80 something, they always have sales on them...
Thanks given by:
Well this is a 95pc and it's German and half the price so... Edit: Everything says "Meister" on it, which is German for "master" I think so it's definitely German!
Thanks given by:
back when i started muching about with cars i got bought one of the halfords kits, and apart from some bigger sockets for hubnuts etc i was fine until it all got stolen (bar my trusty 1/2 deep socket and halfs 3/8 ratchet + some random stuff i didn't use then and havn't since) i've gone with halfords pro for a lot of stuff, but i've got draper items for spring compressors / hacksaw / angle grinder, Clarke for mains windygun and brake bleeder and a few of my dad's old tools like screwdrivers and multimeter, it's all about what you're comfortable using

saw the aldi kit and had a look earlier, the handles on a lot of the tools don't feel very comfortable, and the smaller sockets look very...questionable, was very tempted on their arc welder for £39 though...lol

as far as toolkits go, i'm going to be replacing mine fairly shortly as it's really not up to the job (stanley fatmax roll case)
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
You can sprinkle shit with glitter doesn't make it any better!

Just because it says it's German doesn't mean it's any better. Allot of big brands have there stuff made in china doesn't mean it's crap.

You just seem to go against any advice that people make!
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2013, 02:18 PM)vlj Wrote: Just saying, my 150pc Halfords set with lifetime warranty was £80 something, they always have sales on them...

This. I have that amongst other things, and I'm brutal with them as they'll replace anything if they break excluding the ratchets, I think they have 12 months warranty on them. But haven't broke a singe things yet! Very pleased with them.
Thanks given by:
The dreaded ball joint/chocolate allen key heads!! :O
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2013, 02:51 PM)callumcull Wrote:
(25-10-2013, 02:18 PM)vlj Wrote: Just saying, my 150pc Halfords set with lifetime warranty was £80 something, they always have sales on them...

This. I have that amongst other things, and I'm brutal with them as they'll replace anything if they break excluding the ratchets, I think they have 12 months warranty on them. But haven't broke a singe things yet! Very pleased with them.

This again ive used the halfords sets before (everyone at work has them) and they're great would go for those over aldi any day especially with the warranty

If i was going to buy a set that's what id go for
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2013, 02:46 PM)John1.4 Wrote: back when i started muching about with cars i got bought one of the halfords kits, and apart from some bigger sockets for hubnuts etc i was fine until it all got stolen (bar my trusty 1/2 deep socket and halfs 3/8 ratchet + some random stuff i didn't use then and havn't since) i've gone with halfords pro for a lot of stuff, but i've got draper items for spring compressors / hacksaw / angle grinder, Clarke for mains windygun and brake bleeder and a few of my dad's old tools like screwdrivers and multimeter, it's all about what you're comfortable using

saw the aldi kit and had a look earlier, the handles on a lot of the tools don't feel very comfortable, and the smaller sockets look very...questionable, was very tempted on their arc welder for £39 though...lol

as far as toolkits go, i'm going to be replacing mine fairly shortly as it's really not up to the job (stanley fatmax roll case)

Heh, glad I wasn't the only one temped by the welder! I've done a bit of reading on welders though and from what I have gleaned the better the welder the easier it is to weld with properly, so the more advanced kit is actually more newbie friendly.

With hand tools though there is so little to go wrong I can't see why not! I agree about the small sockets, look like they are made of cheese TBH, but I don't have to torque up any small fasteners. Just realised the sockets go up to 32mm and it's all metric as well which is a bonus!

(25-10-2013, 02:49 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: You can sprinkle shit with glitter doesn't make it any better!

Just because it says it's German doesn't mean it's any better. Allot of big brands have there stuff made in china doesn't mean it's crap.

You just seem to go against any advice that people make!

Do you have to take it personally if someone doesn't follow your advice to the letter?Undecided Must be a stressful old life.

Anyway the Germans are renowned for their engineering ability and I have complete faith in them. I wanted something a bit different which is why I have plumped for the Work Zone jobbies. No need to get all angsty about it:p
Thanks given by:
What material are the tools made of, chrome vanadium or something else?

Also whens the offer on till as I'm almost tempted by a set to keep in the car.
Thanks given by:
Says CR-V on the tools Chris. Edit: Just Googled and it would appear that cr-v is chrome vanadium, yes.
Thanks given by:
Lol a mate bought an aldi socket set once, seem to remember we split three of them on the first job. As said above, doesn't matter what it says on the handle, at that price you can guarantee its made of cheese.

I think what Jenks is saying is if you're going to buy the cheapest shite you can find, why are you even bothering to post. Personally I think it's a daft question, you're posting for the same reason you always post - so you can jibe anyone who disagrees with you in the hope you'll get a reaction out of them.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well, if that's the case then there is a 3 year warranty and they will be put to the test when I do the turbo change.

It's funny how convinced you are about my intentions Big Grin I just like talking about things really. Who else would I discuss the merits of different types of tools with?
Thanks given by:
lmfao, German quality?

Just looking at the shit cast spanners would have had me running a mile.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,477 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Tool Kit for boot bigcheez2k3 28 6,236 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Seb_Ryan
  Halfords socket sets mackat 54 6,890 08-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Toms306