lets race!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lets race!
(14-05-2013, 11:00 PM)thomson Wrote: kl well the point I was making was that I could have skateboard wheels on the car and it doesn't feel like it has the power to spin even them in the wet. I was trying to put a picture in people's head so they might have a better chance of understanding if I have lost power or not. I think I may have fixed the problem will find out tomorrow on te way to work. think it may have been the new plugs I had in it (Bosch super plus) I cleaned up the old ngkR plugs and it feels a bit better Big Grin

oh and the engine has done 105k has had an engine rebuild (that's when it got new cams) I wouldave put it down to the person who rebuilt the engine has missed something but it was fine before

Perhaps its all raced out? Needs boost yo.
Thanks given by:
How long has t been since the engine rebuild and exactly what was done? Might just be things taking their time to run in.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
One thing I have never heard a 306 called is an icon lmao
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2013, 05:32 PM)thomson Wrote: I bought my gti6 back in February and its been cammed and as far as I know that's it. a friend has just bought a accord type r and thinks there's not even a chance or me but I think differently what does people think? also I've been feeling its slightly down on power in the sense that in the rain it used to spin everywhere now, well not so much my cousin ha an xsi a few years ago and it was all over the road in the wet is it just me gettin used to the car or is it down on power? I mean realistically what should I be leaving behind? when I first bought it I left begin a new leon FR and old leon cupra now I don't even keep up with my bosses civic type r? is that about right? all I have done is changed the induction pipe because the old one was pressed up against the abs pump so I put a longer pipe on and pointed it to the ground an replaced the exhaust with a sportex sport system (with centre silencer but no cat)

well there you go, you have changed the exhaust system to a sportex, I have been told that those are more noise than for sports, so you may have restricted the power, id be looking for a much better system.
Thanks given by:
restricted power with a less restrictive exhaust system.... right
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 03:01 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: restricted power with a less restrictive exhaust system.... right

As stupid as it sounds, There is some logic to that. There is a amount of back pressure required for the engine. if you just bolted on a 3"straight through pipe, despite the fact it would sound like a plane taking off, it would probably be slower.

BTW A GTi6 is a very quick car. Will easily spank your mates car. You can destroy super cars in these if you can use the gearbox properly.........
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 03:01 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: restricted power with a less restrictive exhaust system.... right

It'll alter the torque delivery, less low end (as less backpressure), but more power top-end (better flow)....

This may affect the torque available to spin the wheels in the wet...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I always make sure to spin my wheels. Wet or dry weather. Doesn't bother me. Makes the ladies come flocking too!

/badamans

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 04:41 PM)Grant Wrote: I always make sure to spin my wheels. Wet or dry weather. Doesn't bother me. Makes the ladies come flocking too!

/badamans

It also means that you pick up a thin layer of tarmac on your tyres which extends tyre life and grip temporarily. Only found that out the other day whist i was wondering why racing drivers light up their wheels....except to make womens clothes fall off of course.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Really? I did wonder why they did that before races. I thought it was cos they are 'ard. Obviously some logic behind it.

If I get 4wd spinnage I could end up getting laid 4 times at once right?

If i wanna do that in the dry though, I might need an electric supercharger for that kind of ungodly power...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Most GTi6s won't pull the skin off a rice pudding as far as torque goes... Off the line they're pretty dire, I've never once thought "Oh my god, the GTi6 is going to break the tyres free" unless it's first gear, just rained, I've got Nankangs on and my left foot wants to not operate the clutch correctly... In which case it'll spin up first and do nothing else.

An ATR will probably munch a GTi6 - they aren't that quick at all in reality. They'll just about keep with a EP3 CTR, but you won't pass one in fairness, people on here will tell you that they've beaten
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

I have been told that they are shit systems, more noise than performance. as I have been looking at getting a new system for the car.

(15-05-2013, 03:33 PM)Niall Wrote:

As stupid as it sounds, There is some logic to that. There is a amount of back pressure required for the engine. if you just bolted on a 3"straight through pipe, despite the fact it would sound like a plane taking off, it would probably be slower.

yeah niall that's what I was getting at,
Thanks given by:
I know about back pressure I'm not stupid, I'm sorry but a sportex system is still the same diameter as the standard system just less boxes and baffles, it isn't going to reduce back pressure THAT much to reduce the torque that it would entirely change the performance... I should know I've got one and it definitely made a difference (and no it's not just placebo because of the noise), if anything because OPs engine is cammed it would be expelling more gas at higher rpms meaning the exhaust should be aiding performance if anything.

Agreed about the torque though, mine won't spin in anything other than first unless it's wet.. but if anything I prefer the lower progressive torque for cornering, it makes the car much more controllable imo

Edit: guess it also depends whether ops car has been mapped for the cams and where the peak torque now is
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 03:33 PM)Niall Wrote: BTW A GTi6 is a very quick car. Will easily spank your mates car. You can destroy super cars in these if you can use the gearbox properly

was that sarcasm or did you miss the [/eddoe]
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 07:57 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(15-05-2013, 03:33 PM)Niall Wrote: BTW A GTi6 is a very quick car. Will easily spank your mates car. You can destroy super cars in these if you can use the gearbox properly

was that sarcasm or did you miss the [/eddoe]

That was sarcasm but now i read it back, it doesnt really sound sarcastic. Sad

Danny, if you cant spin yours up in anything except 1st, your not driving it hard enough. lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Or I've got decent tyres and only drive hard in the dry? Lol
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 08:15 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Or I've got decent tyres and only drive hard in the dry? Lol

Same as that. Although i am currently raping the shit out of my clutch lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Lol I don't.. think its still original :S
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 07:55 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: I know about back pressure I'm not stupid, I'm sorry but a sportex system is still the same diameter as the standard system just less boxes and baffles, it isn't going to reduce back pressure THAT much to reduce the torque that it would entirely change the performance... I should know I've got one and it definitely made a difference (and no it's not just placebo because of the noise), if anything because OPs engine is cammed it would be expelling more gas at higher rpms meaning the exhaust should be aiding performance if anything.

Agreed about the torque though, mine won't spin in anything other than first unless it's wet.. but if anything I prefer the lower progressive torque for cornering, it makes the car much more controllable imo

Edit: guess it also depends whether ops car has been mapped for the cams and where the peak torque now is

you've just massively contradicted yourself.

you've said you understand back-pressure, yet you've said the car should definitely pull better if it's cammed and the exhaust is then made less restrictive... make your mind up!!
If the exhaust flows better at higher rpms, it WILL be having an effect on back-pressure.

Back-pressure marginally improves low & mid-range, at the expense of a tiny bit of top-end. the area under the power graph is unlikely to alter massively, hence you wont really accelerate any faster in-gear, but real-world when you drive it harder you'll probably benefit from the increased power top-end.

If the car has been cammed, it will be heavily dependant on how it's been built. Most '6s can't get enough advance on anything more than the mildest cams without having to pocket the pistons. Retarding the timing increases mid-range at the expense of top-end.
If he's had the car cammed with a more restrictive exhaust, it will probably have better mid-range with the cams too, so putting a scaffold pipe (sorry, Sportex) on will have the effect of removing the back-pressure which will be aiding mid-range...

but were straying dangerously off topic here.....

Your matez accord haz way more powerz than your '6, a bigger engine, and will be quicker.........
Thanks given by:
So *insert other brand* exhaust is obviously so much better designed when it's essentially the same bar the baffles basically and obviously whether it's ss or mild steel etc..

Right, but if the output is higher then like the supercharged boys do, a bigger exhaust gives more power.. okay yeah as you say slightly lower bottom end, but on a cammed engine (usually poorer bottom end than standard anyway) it won't be spinning up down low but when it gets into it's powerband up top anyway, which as you say is where in the rev range a bigger exhaust would benefit you for more power..

The only way to prove it 100% is putting it on a dyno before and after putting the zorst on.. a 2.25" exhaust is probably good for up to 210ish hp before it starts to actually become restrictive
Thanks given by:
Lol....is the op saying he bought a 6 just so he could race his mates? Jeez, this isn't primary school lol....does it matter who has the faster car? There will always be someone with a faster one....

And as for spinning tyres, a shit driver can do it anywhere, any time....trust me I do, and I'm on new rainsports.... Taken 2mm off a new rainsport in like a thousand miles. Did wonder why there were so many tyre reciepts in the service history.... lol
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 09:17 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: So *insert other brand* exhaust is obviously so much better designed when it's essentially the same bar the baffles basically and obviously whether it's ss or mild steel etc..

Right, but if the output is higher then like the supercharged boys do, a bigger exhaust gives more power.. okay yeah as you say slightly lower bottom end, but on a cammed engine (usually poorer bottom end than standard anyway) it won't be spinning up down low but when it gets into it's powerband up top anyway, which as you say is where in the rev range a bigger exhaust would benefit you for more power..

The only way to prove it 100% is putting it on a dyno before and after putting the zorst on.. a 2.25" exhaust is probably good for up to 210ish hp before it starts to actually become restrictive

Ok so I was having a bit of a dig at the sportex's, but in general most performance exhausts do change the torque & power curves as previously described. The difference being that a properly designed exhaust for the car will account for reduction in back-pressure in the baffles by decreasing the bore of the exhaust. The key with the exhausts is to keep up gas velocity, hence afaik, they are designed with reduced bore the further back you go through the system.
Baffled zones are zoneswhere the gas pressure can be lost, reducing velocity. Hence they are removed or reduced in performance exhausts, encouraging a higher velocity, which can be better controlled through reduction of the exhaust bore...

As a point of note, you can't compare a supercharged or turbocharged engine to an n/a engine in terms of exhaust requirements. In an n/a engine, the back-pressure plays an important role in inducting air in the inlet side of the engine. Changing this can affect the draw of air into each cylinder, which affects the torque as described... With a any charged engine, the air is being forced in, so back-pressure is irrelevant. there is also a LOT more gas being expelled from the engine after combustion, so the larger bore/less restrictive the better!

You have to bear in mind, Peugeot didn't just cobble together the '6 exhaust from a few spare parts from a leftover 1.4 in the factory... It was very well designed and suited to the car and the characteristics of the engine... and I can't remember the exact figures, but I'm sure I'd read they were good for flow for up to 250hp n/a before they became a significant restriction...
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, as you say it will reduce mid range and low end slightly but my entire point was that with the size diameter the same as stock i really don't think that it would effect the engine so dramatically..

Yeah, pug didn't cobble it together but they had to keep to certain requirements to keep it legal, doesn't necessarily mean it can't be improved.. so, according to what you're saying everyone should be running a stock exhaust for best power unless we're running over 250hp.. in the real world, i highly doubt it makes that much difference..some stock '6s have been dyno'd at anywhere from 155-173hp.. on that same dyno was another 2 6's both with 'performance exhausts' one RR'd at 163hp and the other at 173hp... I think other factors would cause much more of a difference than exhaust..
Thanks given by:
look, my willy is massive too
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2013, 08:11 AM)Just Sean Wrote: look, my willy is massive too

Mine isn't, its small, dark, and ugly, and bends too far to the right... Sad

Atleast my car is quicker than a gee whiz
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Thanks given by:
shame that, if it bends to the left its a gspot hitter apparently...

spose it doesnt matter either way when your ramming a bloke
Thanks given by:
Well exactly, but you want it to bend up a bit to tickle the prostate, but that still doesn't help :/

Thanks given by:
dont matter which way it bends if its small..may aswell stick a finger in and wiggle it about
Thanks given by:
Ah good point!

Thanks given by:
(16-05-2013, 08:23 AM)Just Sean Wrote: dont matter which way it bends if its small..may aswell stick a finger in and wiggle it about

Might as well fist them and move your hand about like your in a ventriloquists dummy

*makes sock puppet hand gesture*
[stupid ventriloquist dummy accent]Hey look I'm a GTi6 owner! I've got the fastest car in the world, id beat anything in a race, id have them the twisties, a HDi could never be faster than a petrol no matter how much you tune it.[/stupid ventriloquist dummy accent]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets hear your car! aaddzz123 24 2,676 27-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Midnightclub
  its friday---lets go !! daddyfixit 22 2,308 22-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Last Post: jamierichkelly@gmail.com