Posts: 1,487
Threads: 119
Joined: Apr 2012
Reputation:
5
Location: Buckingham
Car Model/Spec: MG ZS180
One of my piston rings has snapped, now do I need to get a full new set so that they all match?
Also, if i do need a full set, I am unsure on running them in. I believe that driving them pretty hard, not keeping constant revs etc. is the best way to seal them, but is this method going to be too risky considering the HG is also brand new? I don't want to blow my new gasket..
Posts: 1,748
Threads: 41
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
12
Location: Midlands
Car Model/Spec: Dtractor
If one has snapped then they must all be pretty weak - older ones are more fragile. Im a pikey and would just find another 2nd hand from a blown motor to replace them with. I dont know how much new ones are, £30 or so, so worth doing I think for piece of mind I would recommend it, you will need to hone the bores too.
I run my engines in hard too, a brisk drive after first fire is fine, 2-4k keeping boost light. Dont hammer it from cold but dont let it idle for ages either, the heads can take a beating.
Posts: 1,487
Threads: 119
Joined: Apr 2012
Reputation:
5
Location: Buckingham
Car Model/Spec: MG ZS180
OK cheers. Is honing a specialized job or can it be done by myself with a honing tool?
Posts: 1,748
Threads: 41
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
12
Location: Midlands
Car Model/Spec: Dtractor
Yourself with a honing tool, there are a few videos on youtube which show you how to do it, its quite easy, and honing tool is less than £20.
Posts: 1,497
Threads: 177
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
3
Location: Highlands, Scotland
Its £210 for 4 rings sets
Posts: 1,220
Threads: 136
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
2
Location: Norwich
Car Model/Spec: Phase 2 Dturbo
From were?! I paid just over 100
Posts: 1,748
Threads: 41
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
12
Location: Midlands
Car Model/Spec: Dtractor
lol yeh my point exactly for being pikey! :p I didnt think they were that much! I just find one from another set..... I've never heard of anyone having to rebuild their block through lack of compression due to ring failure, only when they dont use a filter....
Posts: 1,497
Threads: 177
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
3
Location: Highlands, Scotland
Posts: 1,220
Threads: 136
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
2
Location: Norwich
Car Model/Spec: Phase 2 Dturbo
Don't blame you for being pikey! I got an engine for 40 quid and I'm spending hundreds on the components to rebuild it with!
And that'l be why they're so expensive then!
Posts: 1,433
Threads: 142
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
11
Location: derbyshire
Car Model/Spec: ph1 DT estate , 207 1.6 hdi
Posts: 1,497
Threads: 177
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
3
Location: Highlands, Scotland
Original rings last 250k+, thats why i bought genuine rings
Posts: 1,220
Threads: 136
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
2
Location: Norwich
Car Model/Spec: Phase 2 Dturbo
That's a bargain! They are the ones I got but I couldn't find them for less than 100 anywhere, I'm gutted!
Fair enough but when there's a price difference like that its a no brainer for me, if an engine shop rebuilt your engine I doubt they would use genuine Peugeot rings and they'd most likely still give you a warrenty on the engine. Even if non Peugeot ones only last 100k its more than I'm ever going to want from the engine.
Posts: 1,487
Threads: 119
Joined: Apr 2012
Reputation:
5
Location: Buckingham
Car Model/Spec: MG ZS180
I got two cylinders worth, 20 a set. Only replaced the broken oil scraper, had the rest for spares incase I broke more putting them back in.
Posts: 1,430
Threads: 132
Joined: Jan 2012
Reputation:
4
Location: Yorkshire
Car Model/Spec: 305 and 306 HDi's
I've just got 4 brand new pistons with rings for £75
Posts: 2,560
Threads: 87
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
31
(13-09-2012, 08:31 PM)Sambarker Wrote: I've just got 4 brand new pistons with rings for £75
You could almost buy a house for that where you live, cant you Sam?!
Posts: 1,220
Threads: 136
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
2
Location: Norwich
Car Model/Spec: Phase 2 Dturbo
75!? How are people getting these bargains?!
|