All this new MOT jibberish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All this new MOT jibberish
Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know, that despite all this new hoohar around MOT's etc my car passed with no advisories etc.

It was tested as a "track car" as it has a roll cage, harnesses, no airbags etc.

Didn't end up de-tuning it, and fast passed the smoke test, also didn't bat an eyelid at the decat.

Afterward (once I safely had the MOT in my hand!) I asked him about the cat thing, and he said as long as it passes the smoke test, they really have no reason to go poking around looking for a DPF / CAT.

Seems there was a lot of hype over nothing....

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
I thought this was always the case? One box on the system is legit, cat or no cat? Or am I missing what you're saying here? I know after seeing the new rules at least and speaking to my garage, nothing much has changed for derv's
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
The new rules state that a CAT must be fitted if it was fitted from standard, it's in black and white... however the testers seem to say "if it passes the emissions" they don't care!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
How can you tell if a cat was factory standard? For example, many of the phase 1 DT specs were standard de-cat systems? Is there another piece of paper to confirm a cat from standard ..?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
They only check for the presence of a cat on cars that require a full emisions check (basicly petrols only). And as a derv only has a partial check thay can't fail it even if it doesn't have a cat and it came with one standard.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Something unrelated, do you have to have self cancelling indicators to pass an MOT? Because mine don't with this wheel..

my decat is pretty noticeable because I had it cut out and welded.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
The new rules dont say you need a cat, only on the diesels that pass for full e-test, which ours dont...so ANY XUD is legal without one...

Other than that, not much else has changed really except looking into wiring a bit more, but long as you keep it tidy nothing to worry about... Not really sure how they can test it as a "track car" as any car on the road with legal MOT has to be tested to the same standard, so not sure why they would need to state that :S

I had a bit of hoo har with mine because they werent sure if they should be e-testing mine based on car or engine, luckily they came to conclusion it was the car, or else id have been up for FULL e-test, which would have been a pisstake!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Darren as far as I'm aware all diesels only require a smoke test.
This is defiantly true for the 04 BMW I had and my dads 06 van. Although i cant comment on anything newer.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-06-2012, 12:00 PM)Chris Wrote: Darren as far as I'm aware all diesels only require a smoke test.
This is defiantly true for the 04 BMW I had and my dads 06 van. Although i cant comment on anything newer.

Yeh its a bit odd, I know my local place are doing proper tests on modern pugs, so assume modern all diesels...they have new gear for doing it, not sure what the legal requirement on it is though tbh....I think theres a "period of slack" until garages catch up etc...

Did the BMW have a DPF with regen?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(25-06-2012, 11:58 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Not really sure how they can test it as a "track car" as any car on the road with legal MOT has to be tested to the same standard, so not sure why they would need to state that :S

It's done to cover their backs basically. It's down as an advisory on my sheet "vehicle tested as competition car"

(25-06-2012, 12:05 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Yeh its a bit odd, I know my local place are doing proper tests on modern pugs, so assume modern all diesels...

Same round here. Modern diesels get full emissions tests
JP
Thanks given by:
Ah right yeh, they are suppose to list that as an advisory, there supposed to note all sorts in there, such as "The car has been lowered" etc...but rarely do....I think by the end of this year ALL mot stations will HAVE to do full e tests on cars that comply..but luckily for us it wont effect us, so win win really.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I do remember about the testing as competition car bit from when i read the regs and basically it means you can remove airbags, warning lights and loads of other shit that they should check.

Gonna get mine tested as such with the excuse that "check the amount of rubber stuck to the underside of the back of the car, its clearly a specalist drift vehicle" hopefully theyll then overlook a few issues (missing warning lights and stuff)
Thanks given by:
(25-06-2012, 12:29 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Ah right yeh, they are suppose to list that as an advisory, there supposed to note all sorts in there, such as "The car has been lowered" etc...but rarely do....I think by the end of this year ALL mot stations will HAVE to do full e tests on cars that comply..but luckily for us it wont effect us, so win win really.

Garage put an advisory on mine as "remove obstruction from windscreen" as the satnav holder was stuck to the window. Petty bastards IMO was there really any need?
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(25-06-2012, 03:58 PM)HDIkyle Wrote:
(25-06-2012, 12:29 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Ah right yeh, they are suppose to list that as an advisory, there supposed to note all sorts in there, such as "The car has been lowered" etc...but rarely do....I think by the end of this year ALL mot stations will HAVE to do full e tests on cars that comply..but luckily for us it wont effect us, so win win really.

Garage put an advisory on mine as "remove obstruction from windscreen" as the satnav holder was stuck to the window. Petty bastards IMO was there really any need?

Petty? Yes they have to mark that down... And you're lucky, a hgv mot would been a fail
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Lol yeh, I was suprised they didnt screw me over for the gauges on top the dash, but been ok so far!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
If you dont want to remove the airbag ECU though, as mentioned before, a couple of resistors should see the light function as normal!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2012, 01:21 PM)Atterz Wrote: If you dont want to remove the airbag ECU though, as mentioned before, a couple of resistors should see the light function as normal!

I've used a 2.2 ohm resistor for my airbag light.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by: