106 cutting out!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
106 cutting out!
So took the 106 for a quick spin today and not happy with how it running. It feels a little slow to be honest and after its bee running a while the oil light flickers on when idling then when you apply a bit of throttle it disappears again. Plus the engine light come on when idling but when you Rev it it disappears. Then when idling it sometimes drops a little low and occasionally cuts out. Little nervous as Spring action isn't to far away and I don't want it braking down on track.

Any idea what could be the issue? 
Thanks given by:
Oil level!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It's NA so considering you drive a tuned XUD it's gonna feel slow due to the reduced torque.

I'd check oil level. Also when did it last have an oil change? Don't want to get a blocked strainer/pickup and end up with oil starvation.

Did it get up to temp? Considering it's been unused for months it's worth letting it get right up to temp.
Thanks given by:
If its not what piggy says it could be oil pump..lack of pressure
Thanks given by:
I'll try some oil and if that doesn't help then I'll try the pump Smile thanks guys
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2015, 10:37 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I'll try some oil and if that doesn't help then I'll try the pump Smile thanks guys

Be wary if its overful aswell, happened on my parents xsara, hg went and dumped alot of coolant into in, within 5 miles it was knocking its tits off lol
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2015, 10:42 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 10:37 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I'll try some oil and if that doesn't help then I'll try the pump Smile thanks guys

Be wary if its overful aswell, happened on my parents xsara, hg went and dumped alot of coolant into in, within 5 miles it was knocking its tits off lol

I'll give it a look tomorrow Smile I think I have some oil left from the 306 so will put some in if its low
Thanks given by:
So checked the oil and it's fine, very fresh actually. Did a little research and it could be a mix of things but people have said it could be the oil pressure switch, it's only a few quid so could be worth replacing?
Thanks given by:
Might be worth checking the oil switch plug is clean, as its sat for a while could've got damp and corroded slightly. If not then yeah probably worth changing.
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 04:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Might be worth checking the oil switch plug is clean, as its sat for a while could've got damp and corroded slightly.  If not then yeah probably worth changing.

Doesn't look in the best of condition so just got another one ordered Smile will fit it and see if that fixes it 
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a earth issue to me, had similar probs with my 106 check all the earth in the engine bay. Also on the rear light cluster I had a mixture of both.
Cherry red 205 XUD VNT - Project thread here http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=25522
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2015, 08:36 AM)andyyy Wrote: Sounds like a earth issue to me, had similar probs with my 106 check all the earth in the engine bay. Also on the rear light cluster I had a mixture of both.

Thanks mate Smile do you know where the earths are on a 106?
Thanks given by:
Does sound like earth or possibly alternator.
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2015, 09:48 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Does sound like earth or possibly alternator.

But why will it only happen when driving? I can leave it on idle for ages and rev it and nothing happens. It's only when being driven around, I've bought an oil pressure sensor so will fit that tomorrow and see if that helps 
Thanks given by:
Despite the fact peugeots are known for their poor electrics, do NOT ignore a oil pressure light. Normally, the oil pressure light only comes on at 1 bar or below which is far too little so you need to check ASAP its not a oil pressure issue. Check the level first. Secondly i would replace the switch if you have a spare and failing that, look at the pump although its quite rare pumps fail.
Considering its coupled with a sluggish feeling car, i have a feeling it could well be a electrical issue. Have fun with that! Painted anything at all that an earth is connected to recently?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
My 306 had a similar problem, turned out twice to be the MAP sensor, and on one occasion the ICV. Do 106's use either of these?

My 106 gti had issues like this, but it was obviously running on 3 cylinders sometimes, so probably unrelated. I replaced coil pack and spark plugs and ran better. Might be worth you cleaning them up and testing them too? 5 minute job, and will do it some good anyway.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2015, 10:07 AM)Niall Wrote: Despite the fact peugeots are known for their poor electrics, do NOT ignore a oil pressure light. Normally, the oil pressure light only comes on at 1 bar or below which is far too little so you need to check ASAP its not a oil pressure issue. Check the level first. Secondly i would replace the switch if you have a spare and failing that, look at the pump although its quite rare pumps fail.
Considering its coupled with a sluggish feeling car, i have a feeling it could well be a electrical issue. Have fun with that! Painted anything at all that an earth is connected to recently?

I haven't really touched the engine, and what things can be linked with low oil pressure? Oil level is perfect and really fresh, got a switch yesterday so will fit that and I'll check the earths I can see. But I have no idea what to do after that

(11-04-2015, 10:12 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: My 306 had a similar problem, turned out twice to be the MAP sensor, and on one occasion the ICV. Do 106's use either of these?

Yeah I believe it has both, I'll check ECP. If their cheap enough I'll replace them.

(11-04-2015, 10:12 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: My 306 had a similar problem, turned out twice to be the MAP sensor, and on one occasion the ICV. Do 106's use either of these?

My 106 gti had issues like this, but it was obviously running on 3 cylinders sometimes,  so probably unrelated. I replaced coil pack and spark plugs and ran better. Might be worth you cleaning them up and testing them too? 5 minute job, and will do it some good anyway.

Map sensor is around £50 :/
Thanks given by:
Oil pressure is pretty much either a chronic leak which you would obviously notice or a failing oil pump. Not overly difficult to replace and like i say, its rare they go wrong but they still do!
Pebbles makes a good point about coil pack. They are crap the coil packs they use on these so may be worth trying a new one if you want.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Don't 106's have a problem with the oil pressure? Causes them to run proper rough and cut out, etc.

Edit: Can't remember the conditions, reresearching now.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Yeah to be fair mines running shit, feels sluggish. But not sure if that's because I'm use to my DT. I've heard that the coil pack can be the cause of one of the issues I'm having so may have to replace that for FCS. I'll drive it as is for Action Day and that way I can see what issues I have 
Thanks given by:
Didn't you say you had a tiny racing battery and it's relocated. Where is your relocation earthed, my estate wanted 3 earths on the relocation before it was happy but my black 3dr only wanted 1.

Does that battery actually have enough power and is it in good condition?
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2015, 10:04 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Didn't you say you had a tiny racing battery and it's relocated. Where is your relocation earthed, my estate wanted 3 earths on the relocation before it was happy but my black 3dr only wanted 1.

Does that battery actually have enough power and is it in good condition?

No it's not been relocated I will be doing it soon, and I think the battery is okay starts fine and seems to hold charge well
Thanks given by:
TPS and MAP sensor are quite common for causing it as the engine speed drops below idle for a split second and the oil pressure light comes on when the oil is warm and thinned out. Definatly check earths, etc, as well though.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2015, 12:17 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: TPS and MAP sensor are quite common for causing it as the engine speed drops below idle for a split second and the oil pressure light comes on when the oil is warm and thinned out. Definatly check earths, etc, as well though.

I'll check them out I've changed the oil pressure sensor so when I can take it for a spin I'll see if it's helped out
Thanks given by:
EDIT: 

Misread date, sorry, thought this was recent!

Mess with your ICV too, usual culprit for cutting out.
Thanks given by: