Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Help on a base setup (Gaz GHA coilovers)
#1
Hi guys,

bought brand new Gaz GHA's last weekend what do you think I should do to get a base set up until I get some track time with the car to adjust it...
#2
easiest to drive it and see how it goes, adjusting if necessary

maybe set half way and see how it rides
#3
Turn them up to 11
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#4
(10-05-2014, 02:50 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: easiest to drive it and see how it goes, adjusting if necessary

maybe set half way and see how it rides

That was my plan tbh, I was going to set at a ride height level I like, and put the damping adjustment around half way.

(10-05-2014, 03:02 PM)Connor Wrote: Turn them up to 11

When you say 11 I'm assuming you mean 11 threads as a can't see no numbers on there?

Also does any one know who much you can adjust the fronts as in degrees wise?

And also the back?
#5
i think he just means max them.

what are you trying to set up on them? all you have is ride height, done by winding the spring seat up and down on the thread and then locking in place with the lock nut. and the dampening, usually and knob or alen key fitting in the top, set this to the middle as said above and then adjust to suit.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
#6
(10-05-2014, 03:02 PM)Connor Wrote: Turn them up to 11



these go to 11 !
#7
Someone got it Big Grin
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#8
(10-05-2014, 06:13 PM)Connor Wrote: Someone got it Big Grin

11 it is !!! Smile

(10-05-2014, 05:37 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: i think he just means max them.

what are you trying to set up on them? all you have is ride height, done by winding the spring seat up and down on the thread and then locking in place with the lock nut. and the dampening, usually and knob or alen key fitting in the top, set this to the middle as said above and then adjust to suit.

well ride height and the damping, I was wondering what would people recommend if they have had them on their car before that's all.

May have it corner weighted if I get chance
#9
Wind the coilies all the way down slammed ftw

As for damping just have a play with the setting see what suits your driving style best
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
#10
They only go to 65mm drop so not masses. Just set the height to where you want it. 40mm drop is the usual if you want good handling, then set the dampening to dead centre and try it.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
#11
How do you know how much it has been dropped by?

I was going to set it where I like it, then measure a reference point on each coilover and make sure they are equal...
#12
Well if you wind it all the way to the bottom thread that should, according to them be 65mm. Then just measure up from there. Thats the way ive always done it, kind of. Usually i end up winding it all the way down and thinking yeah, thats nearly low enough.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
#13
Issue with lowering it a long way is that on those coilovers the more you lower the less damper travel you have.

Ideally, you'd have a set of coilies which adjust the ride height where the damper meets the hub and allows full damper travel the whole time.

I wouldn't go too low, it will max the damper.

Second problem, if you max the damping adjustment to "11" it will drive shit. The damper won't be able to react quickly enough.

I would recommend starting at it's softest setting, and then working up whilst driving until the "bounce" is taken out from the ride. Any harder and you'll be going slower with worse handling and feeling more uncomfortable.

On my track car, it rides pretty well and is very compliant, is lowered only about 30mm (with 25mm torsion bars at the back) and is fully corner weighted.

It depends on what you want. Looks: low and stiff, handling: high (to allow decent damper travel) and soft (to soak up the bumps).

JP
JP
#14
Thanks guys for all the info much appreciated Smile


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDi 266mm Calipers Fit Base Model Hubs? Alan_M 4 3,020 11-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: qbimmer

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)