Tax date

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax date
Hi guys, another quick question.

(Note im living in northern ireland so it almay vary slightly)

Here goes;

Bought the 306 on the 29th of August and kept it on a driveway since, then booked an MOT. Earliest I could get was yesterday (sept 20th) and now im going to tax the car. I originally thought, ok they will charge me for september as I will be taxing it in that month, albeit at the end of it. They have sent me a form saying the tax is payable from 1st of august and the cost etc, is there a way of changing this as surely I shouldnt have to pay for august since I bought it in the end of august and the form didnt even arrive to my house until september. I was thinking, will I have to SORN the car for a few weeks and THEN tax it, to save myself losing essentially 2 months, or whats the options really?

Would it be likely the dva can be talked to about this matter.

Any help appreciated as always!
Thanks given by:
I went to tax the 205 last week and the woman said does it have tax already? I was thinking course not thats why im here you dumb old bint lol, But i said no it doesnt but she said ok that means we'll start from the beginning of september, but thats what you expected, perhaps you should go to post office and ask?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Tom, you may have been going in to re-tax the 205, starting the end of this month if that's when the current tax ran out....hence why she asked lol.

mcglynn, I'd guess NI maybe different, over here when you re-tax mid month, you only pay from the start of that month. May be different where you are though.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 04:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Tom, you may have been going in to re-tax the 205, starting the end of this month if that's when the current tax ran out....hence why she asked lol.

mcglynn, I'd guess NI maybe different, over here when you re-tax mid month, you only pay from the start of that month. May be different where you are though.

Whats re tax? Surely if it has tax it doesnt need overwriting? lmao
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 04:18 PM)Tom Wrote:
(21-09-2013, 04:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Tom, you may have been going in to re-tax the 205, starting the end of this month if that's when the current tax ran out....hence why she asked lol.

Whats re tax? Surely if it has tax it doesnt need overwriting? lmao

The tax might've been running out at the end of the month (about a week away)... Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Oh... That... Naaaahhhh! Haha
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Haha I bought the car on the 29th of aug and theyre tryna charge me tax from the 1st of aug

I hadnt drove the car till the 20th of sept, so paying tax for sept is a kick in the bollox but august too, beyond a joke!
Thanks given by:
I would say that the tax ran out the end of July.

The car hasn't being delared sorn so they assume you have being driving it all the time so will charge you the back tax
Thanks given by:
It ran out in march, I bought it on 29th of aug as wrote on the v5 so theyre charging me a months tax for what could have essentially been 2 days driving.. (29th and 30th of august).

Joke, I wasnt driving it and I hope they change the time period when I explain this, theyd hardly expect me to sorn it just to tax it two to three weeks later.
Thanks given by:
If you go and buy it in the post office you should get round it and only pay for september onwards.

Be aware the DVLA love to send out fines at the min.
Thanks given by:
Yeah hoping I dont get a fine, but reality is ive only been driving with it in the last 2 days since MOT so I can hope to get it taxed on monday and get it from sept onwards!
Thanks given by:
That's a though, mine is due on the 30th of this month, can I just wait until the first and then tax it, and get an extra month?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 11:48 AM)Kezzieboy Wrote: That's a though, mine is due on the 30th of this month, can I just wait until the first and then tax it, and get an extra month?

You can tax yours right now to start next month as your car is already taxed.
Thanks given by:
[Image: emu2emym.jpg]

Nice and legal, thank god they didnt charge me for august as well!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FCS 2016 date Frosty 4 1,114 06-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Insurance date lolsteve 21 2,484 02-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Iceman299
  I've finally got a date...... ash240970 9 1,569 26-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Last Post: ash240970