306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: gearbox idea??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
right ive had a thought, could i fit a saxo vtr gearbox to an xud? wanting this due to the really long second gear, and then maybe pair it with a hdi final drive?
No.

Is your simple answer, its an MA box, they're also weak as piss, you'd probably break one... And the gearing will be totally wrong, remember a petrol revs to 7k... A diesel to 5K max....

Also, it doesnt fit.
Nospeak must resist trolling!

Like Ruan says it's a no. Even if it could fit it would be no different to a standard box if not even shorter as most DT's only rev to 5k.

But if you want a different box you could always try fitting a GTI-6 box with massive wheels to counter act the short gearing..
ok ok ok Sad make me feel sad why dont you Sad i want that awesome 2nd gear that the saxo has
its long because its petrol and revs, stick a hdi box on and 2nd will be longer then
HDi box is the way forward had one on Pat and now have one on Project T
thought HDI boxs just had a longer final drive . . . .
wait so the 6 box fits in the xud? back on to the argument would it make a difference anyway due to revs
which makes all the gears longer......
(13-09-2012, 12:39 PM)Kwik Wrote: [ -> ]which makes all the gears longer......

sorry this has been explained to me before lol . . .yeah i get it, i thought it was just that 5th was longer . . .Big Grin
If the hdi box just had a longer 5th, it would be totally win!, but 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are all fail on the HDI box, the DT box is much better.... hdi is just better for motorway cruising and pottering about :p
the DTurbo box is for acceleration but tops out too soon UNLESS you have gov modded.

The HDi box is longer so gives better fuel consumption AND better top end but sacrifice's acceleration

As i have a 600 Ninja i don't need acceleration so HDi box FTW!lol
IMHO it's not so much the gearboxes fault that economy isn't mind blowing as standard... I had a OEM DT box on mine with the GT20, and 55mpg on the motorway was pretty common, sat at 2750rpm at 70mph... 80 is 3k.... I could get 60mpg if I sat at 60mph...

If you want to make it efficient, get a more modern turbo.... Less boost =/= more economy Wink
No point in HDi box unless you have a super efficient (very fast spool / no lag) turbo imo.
thats why HDi box with GT15 is the best for economy. i do hear what your saying raun though but less revs also means more economy too
I had hdi box with a T28, that was insane going from 2nd to 3rd...
I have a 405 box if youre interested? I'm sure it's basically dturbo gears but longer 5th. Just 50rpm higher than a hdi box.
how much kris?
If I had the money, I'd consider getting a longer F/D machined for a GTi6 'box...

But that WOULD be expensive!