306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Frosty's Ph1 Black D Turbo now with VNT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(02-04-2014, 09:28 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2014, 07:07 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: [ -> ]Same gates kit I bought off eBay, sub £80 delivered? Surprised the water pump impellers were metal and not cheap plastic Smile

Good engine build mate, jealous of your space to build it Smile

Fingers crossed that sunroof is ok now Smile

I got the cam belt kit from a motor factors we use at work. Think it was just over £80 though.

Yeah pretty lucky with places to work tbf. Building the engine up my mates farm in the garage where we have done a fair few engine changes etc over the years. Luckily I will do the engine change down work so will be able to use the ramp to make life easier.

I do hope this cures my water leak issuse

Oh cool not bad price collected, my kits been waiting to be fitted for weeks lol

I would love a dry warm place to continue working on this French racing shed lol it would make life easier and I'd love to rebuild an engine to chuck in Smile

Now we've tempted the sunroof... lmao
(02-04-2014, 06:36 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 1A474AA7-C375-4048-B0CE-E23C85CD5D5B_zpsi3aq6rkf.jpg]

Could you please do me a big favor and measure from the top tip of the bracket, to the shallow part of the sump, as IIRC the engine is cantered over in the bay?

It would help massively for me to be able to measure up my bay, as I'm struggling (and have searched a lot) to find engine specs. Height, width, weight, etc for the XUD9. I can find head info, or block info, but not with the sump fitted or the height to cam cover on the head.

Currently figuring I just buy a car and see Smile But it would be helpful to know before if poss.

BTW, this is a good thread for those wanting to know the differences on things like the HDI rods & the decent head gasket. I'm floored at just how big the rings are on those pistons.
So what bit do you want measuring? From the top of the mount on the right to the shallow bit of the sump on the left?
From the top of the cam pulley please? Or that bracket between the pulley and the top mount ? - Whichever is the highest point in the engine bay when it's mounted up.
To the shallow part of the sump on left. - As the sump bottom is horizontal when mounted up from the pics I've seen (and logic).
Many thanks !
Ok chap i will try and measure it tonight and let you know
Bit of progress on this. I had to get the engine down to my work so I got it loaded up in the boot of the S16. Fitted in pretty well

[Image: 6ECCCF7A-8D5F-492B-A78D-A5AAC6EA28EB_zpsfxowkdzb.jpg]

My plan this weekend is to get the engine changed so I made a start after work and got the old engine dropped out

[Image: 5E06B9A7-6E12-4CD9-B9BD-84269A396BCD_zpskgxxykaf.jpg]

That was about all I could be bothered to do but I will be going down work tomorrow to get the engine fitted hopefully. Got a fair bit to swap over from the old to the new engine. I also bought some 2nd hand TA coilovers so I hope to get them fitted as well while I got the car apart

[Image: DF65B39D-AD93-44B5-B351-A31FF9AF6394_zpsewetkvde.jpg]
Getting there mr frost get some ripper on the of and she will be running today Itwasntme
Bit more done today but not as much as I had planned but I spent most the morning helping out move the score shed at my cricket club and I MOT'd a VNT powered hair dressers car for mr fish Smile So I just had the afternoon to do some bits but I aint feeling great atm and I was struggling to get motivated but anyway I made a start stripping bits of the old engine and then I got to taking the gearbox off. This is where I discovered some interesting findings. As you may have read earlier on in this thread or in my 'strange noise' thread I had a noise coming my from car/clutch when pulling away and also my clutch pedal was very stiff even after a new cable I fitted. So first when I got the gearbox off I found the fork was pretty stiff and then I took the clutch off to find this

[Image: 716585F5-37C5-4E64-8F1D-76C28D2E8BC9_zpsptcxpuv3.jpg]

[Image: DDB065F6-C0D1-4288-8C24-A799118AAA74_zpshe7gos1f.jpg]

[Image: 1E7F62E8-1073-4183-86F0-60A5EF638F60_zpsza52msa5.jpg]

So we have as far as I can see a worn out 3000 mile old paddle friction plate and a 3000 mile old scored pressure plate. Now Im not really sure what has caused this. Anyone have a ideas on it? My thinking is a duff friction plate or poss I had it fitted the wrong way round? Pretty sure it is possible to fit it either way. I had the sticking out bit facing the pressure plate.

After finding this im sure this was causing my issue with the noise and all the dust from the clutch was causing the clutch fork bushes to get stiff there for causing my stiff pedal.

My plan was to always fit a new valeo anyway when changing the engine

[Image: D9726310-FC55-4167-BDF9-5FB5C7B0B742_zpsqna0f4wg.jpg]

And the only other pic I got

[Image: E49A2A64-556A-4D6C-9168-3795A20403E8_zpsf5oocd06.jpg]

Need to get this done tomorrow as on a ramp at work so I plan for an early start as long as I can motivate myself to get out of bed all in the love for Xuds
Engine and gearbox look sweet likening the blue bits on the box will
Pop up this week and have a look
Yeah you'll have to pop over soon. Im pretty pleased with how the engine is looking, just hope it runs as well as it looks lol
Looks epic mr frost, shame to hear about your clutch, i have the same one i think, but you used a valeo pressure plate didnt you? I used the CG friction disc and pressure plate
(12-04-2014, 09:57 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]Looks epic mr frost, shame to hear about your clutch, i have the same one i think, but you used a valeo pressure plate didnt you? I used the CG friction disc and pressure plate

Cheers, yeah I used CG friction plate and valeo pressure plate. Think that is the combination a lot of people use but I guess they haven't the same issue as me
Haven't updated this for a while as haven't had chance but the engine is in and running. Put the engine in from underneath which is a lot easier but helps being able to use the ramp

[Image: D80DA922-83A3-45DC-A36C-27328275C33F_zps9xbqetal.jpg]

In on the mounts

[Image: 58BC0DAA-AFFB-4176-AC5D-72EC56FC6D56_zpskgniuw4k.jpg]

All in ready for starting. It didn't start first of all but was no big issue just me being silly as the fuel was turned fit back which is how darren puts them after he has resealed them etc.

[Image: 40FEE620-F6AF-4CB2-A2A5-45BCADA13BAC_zpsbiivge5w.jpg]

It seems to be running ok. I have put the original exhaust back on for the min as it was so loud with no exhaust when running it up to check all ok. Got a powerflex bottom engine mount which does seem to vibrate the car a lot but mark says give it a bit of time to bed in so that is what i will do.

I did get round to fitting the coilovers last night. Fitted with no issues and this is now they sit. About the same as the springs i think but they may well settle down a bit

[Image: 46D44985-7994-4788-A55D-4B1741F1D34E_zps5ci1pwgx.jpg]

And finally for now i got the intercooler pipes back on this morning so i could run it up to temp and make sure we have boost

[Image: 8DE6B660-9B30-4FF3-9D36-323BB6F2B5E2_zpskojrqwwz.jpg]

Slight mod on the pump bracket so pipe doesn't hit it

[Image: BCDB8C66-AED3-425F-B2AA-5DDEE11053CE_zpsdqhuil8p.jpg]

Got all of this week off work so hopefully i will get chance to have a good crack at this car and get it nearly ready to go back on the road
Looking good mr frosty, nice job on the engine Smile
Looks good mate, you taking this or the s16 to combe?
Nice work matt, pump all ok etc? I always turn them down as better to not start than run away on an un suspecting mechanic!

I think swapping that clutch out might be a mistake though...you could regret the torque holding capacity in the long run...ive burnt up CG clutchs way worse than that before, and they will still hold on for mercy!
Yes if I was you id get them to re line the friction plate and lob it in with your new pressure plate, will be grand then
It shouldnt need relining after 3000 miles though it was new when fitted
(19-04-2014, 02:19 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: [ -> ]Looking good mr frosty, nice job on the engine Smile

Cheers chap its getting there slowly

(19-04-2014, 02:56 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks good mate, you taking this or the s16 to combe?

Cheers, will have the s16 still got a fair bit need doing to this. I will have it at FCS though

(19-04-2014, 04:12 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work matt, pump all ok etc? I always turn them down as better to not start than run away on an un suspecting mechanic!

I think swapping that clutch out might be a mistake though...you could regret the torque holding capacity in the long run...ive burnt up CG clutchs way worse than that before, and they will still hold on for mercy!

Cheers Darren, yeah pump seems all good just need setting up when I get it back on the road.

As for the clutch on 1 side of the friction plate it was down to the rivets which was scoring the pressure plate. Im not sure what has caused it though. I do think I poss had the friction plate fitted the wrong was so the release bearing was putting extra pressure on the plate therefore wearing it out. That's what I think may of happened any way but im certain that was what was causing the strange noise I had and the reason the clutch was so stiff due to all the dust etc in the fork bushes.

But any way I got a brand new valeo fitted with new shaft seal and fork bushes and I fitted the cable not very long ago and OMG the clutch is so light

(19-04-2014, 05:16 PM)HDi--Power Wrote: [ -> ]Yes if I was you id get them to re line the friction plate and lob it in with your new pressure plate, will be grand then

So I can get it sent to CG and they will re line it? Any idea on price?

At the end of the day its not the end of the world to drop the gearbox and change the clutch but I would like to think the valeo should hold

(19-04-2014, 05:31 PM)Jimbo Wrote: [ -> ]It shouldnt need relining after 3000 miles though it was new when fitted

There has got to be a reason it has worn so much but not 100% sure why
Yes you can, I think its around 40 quid but drop them an email Smile
I'm just very jealous...i'm carless [BROKEN HEART]
I have a CG paddle i would like re lined aswell if that can be done...
(20-04-2014, 10:47 AM)HDi--Power Wrote: [ -> ]Yes you can, I think its around 40 quid but drop them an email Smile

Cheers maybe worth me getting in contact with them

(20-04-2014, 01:48 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]I have a CG paddle i would like re lined aswell if that can be done...

Ill let you know if I find out a price
Right so as I said I got this week off work and as far as im aware there is only 1 way to spend time off work which is to work on my car instead of customers. So as I have put in this thread back along I had a relay plug burnt out so I wanted to sort that so they was only 1 way to do it as far as I could see

[Image: BDC2C27F-9687-4452-A73D-119A6FD0E348_zps3i1jgno9.jpg]

So dash out job which tbh isn't really that bad

[Image: 4D662F65-FF61-4E6E-8BD8-6144A910048F_zps3sanc5cs.jpg]

All that to get to this

[Image: BE65A5EB-DCC8-448D-9EAF-22BBAB7AD788_zpsgqdmertx.jpg]

So I had another plug that I had cut out of another car (the car jimbo had for his xud engine) And I got it soldered on

[Image: 7AC0BE0F-A476-449D-97B9-2338A7E47C20_zpscahykgvw.jpg]

And while I had the dash out I fort it would make sense to do the driver side door loom as that 1 wasn't looking to happy and had given me issues in the past. So I got a good condition 2nd hand 1 I had cut off a car I broke for bits (think was the sigma S16). I find its easier to use a 2nd hand 1 as it has the same about of wires and only 2 wires that are different colours.

[Image: 8BA7DE35-087F-462E-8D12-ACD6419925DA_zps0oeg6wqx.jpg]

During the fun

[Image: 6B8FA2BB-D1BB-43C5-B3D9-FDB06278A48A_zpszo2z6n5t.jpg]

All 20 wires done. Took my time and tried to make a good job of it.

[Image: E9711F7E-DDC0-4A3B-AA08-4D81D0B6945A_zpsxiliqih8.jpg]

The old loom looking a bit past its best

[Image: 42DDF7F8-279D-4D31-B41A-57DE70C30565_zps0bjhxu6u.jpg]

The wires tied up with some tap and put back into place

[Image: C237E8F6-2140-4CCF-8973-F4B0845320E3_zpska2zm2od.jpg]

[Image: 92DF63C5-4330-45C8-9A01-0AA5CB0E8342_zps4gmrcbvz.jpg]

And that's as far as I got at the moment. It pretty much just a case of putting the dash back into place which I will hopefully get done later on today
Don't forget that brake light switch!

All looking good as always!
You maniac!
I cant wait to see her back on the road Mr Frost
Looking good frosty bet ya can't wait for the boost
cor blimey, effort on the door loom, did one of those once, pahhh what a job! Nice to see it done properly though Smile
Yeah can't wait to have it back on the road. Still a fair bit to do though but hopefully be on the road some time in May.

Yeah bit of a mission doing the door loom but I had to be done. Did the passenger side last year so got 2 decent door looms on there now so hopefully won't have any issues for a while. Nothing worse than trying to lock a 306 and the central locking bouncing
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21