306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Go for it bud, the door's always open. I might actually be working on it for once this weekend lol.

What's the deal with the vag?
Aha yeh will probably pop down on Saturday, will drop you a pm nearer the time.

I've got a thread over on Club GTI, for the golf. hasnt been updated for a long time, but to be fair ive not done too much to it since then.

basic idea is to have it as a track car, with the posibility of racing it if i feel confident enough, so its being built to MSA regs. stripped down chassis lots of weight reduction, multi point cage, 1.8L petrol engine from a audi s3, with a mish mash of cylinder head, manifolds, turbo etc. from other vag cars. should end up at sub 900Kg and around 270 Bhp.

its mostly just the chassis work thats been done so far, a lack of time and money, along with a new job, moving house etc, has haluted it all a bit.

heres a link if you fancy checking out some pics of my handy work.

golf project build thread

the first half page is my old jetta which has long gone to the scrapyard in the sky. (please excuse my styling choices for the jetta, oh i was young :/)
You won't be able to pm me as you don't have enough posts, i live on Bodycoats road at the Toynbee end, blue 106 and green 205 on the drive. I'm usually around Saturday afternoons.

Can't wait until i have enough room to do that kind of a project, would love to go all out. Impressive go of it you've made there, you should finish it! Feel you on the time and money pains, it's the only reason this thing hasn't already been tearing up the 'ring. lol
Ah right didnt realise that about Pm's cheers, will most likely pop by then.

yeah I started it in a rented double garage, upgraded to a nice big unit in a barn, which was great, but then went and got a job in dorset, and moved to southampton, so it spent almost 2 years sat there in the unit in bristol, two hours drive away, whilst i tried to find somewhere down here to put it, finally found a single garage, albeit a big one, and transported it down along with all the junk id amassed over the years, and totally filled the garage down here.

need to spend a nice long hopefully warm weekend tidying and sorting before i can get on with any real work.

really should get on with it, it would be nice to have the ability to roll the golf out and use the garage as a space to tinker with the 306.

roll on the lighter warmer days
Nice to meet you yesterday, Martin, hope you weren't too bored by the incessant diesel chat lol.

Not got much in the way of pictures of the leg work, suffice to say there's been lots of fettling going on. All the flanges have been filed flat and gaskets have been finished up. Made some clips and chafe protectors for oil pipes, filed down some bits for clearance etc.

[attachment=21095]
[attachment=21094]

I also decided to heat-wrap the manifold pipework, try and keep the heat where it should be rather than cooking the oil lines. Such a pita job, even with Jonny's help. There will be some heat mat going on at some point in the near future, will spend some time playing with the thermoprobe first to see where we need the extra protection the most.

[attachment=21086]

We're now at the point of reassembly, so the bigger brackets were bolted on and engine mounts dug out of the garage. Didn't take long to tidy everything up, connect the various plugs still trailing and get it ready for installation. Stuck the master cylinder on too, while we still had the engine out.

[attachment=21087]
[attachment=21088]

Then drop her into the bay...

[attachment=21089]
[attachment=21090]

That's where we got up to today, i need to finish welding up the downpipe before we can do any more with the chassis - the engine needs lifting off the top mount to get the flexi slipped down the back. That will have to wait until i can get a new battery for my welding mask, as it had a good go at giving Jonny arc-eye earlier. In the meantime i shall continue fitting brackets, fuel lines, ancillaries, etc, etc.

I've started to make progress with the interior too, made up a couple of blanking plates with fixings for the blowers as they now only do screen or feet. Charli has been helping me make my new centre console out of a bit of mdf.

[attachment=21084]
[attachment=21085]

Half way there, we'll finish that and sort brackets and feeds for it too before the next update. Then it's just plumbing everything in and making up the inlet pipework. Getting close now...
I've got some carbon fiber effect ABS here if you'd rather that for the dash. Think its 3mm and it weighs f*ck all. Bastard to cut with a jigsaw as the blade gets warm instantly and melts the plastic as it cuts and then the molten plastic re sticks together behind the blade.

Great progress as always mate.
Go on Charlie Big Grin
Good to see progress man, can't wait to see in the flesh
Hey Alex, was good to meet you and johnny the other weekend, glad to see youve got the lumb back in, bet you cant wait to get in on the road now! and nah dont worry you didnt bore me at all Smile
Progress has been happening, got feck all pictures on my phone, must get around to loading up the ones on Jonny's camera. For the time-being you can have these:

[attachment=21510]
[attachment=21511]
Good progress mate! Honestly cannot wait to see the outcome Big Grin
This is absolutely crazy and can't wait to see it all together Big Grin
It looks like you've trapped a metal octopus in the car by dropping an engine on it
I like the fact the radiator appears to have a proper lower hose attachment and space round either side for pipes.
(04-02-2015, 01:33 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]I like the fact the radiator appears to have a proper lower hose attachment and space round either side for pipes.

That's because it does Big Grin
What's that rad off out of interest?
nice thread, lots of hard graft
Whats gonna be the bottleneck then? Fueling?
Keep it up fella...looking good Smile
(04-02-2015, 12:07 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: [ -> ]Good progress mate! Honestly cannot wait to see the outcome Big Grin

Well you're going to have to, because as per usual i've missed the original time-allowed by about 200% already. lol

(04-02-2015, 12:35 AM)7057sam Wrote: [ -> ]This is absolutely crazy and can't wait to see it all together Big Grin

Thanks bud, me too!

(04-02-2015, 07:09 AM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like you've trapped a metal octopus in the car by dropping an engine on it

Damn, you've uncovered my secret plan! I'll let you in on a trade secret; the most difficult part isn't tying it's legs down, but actually persuading the octopus to blow down the inlet once you've finished.

(04-02-2015, 01:33 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]I like the fact the radiator appears to have a proper lower hose attachment and space round either side for pipes.

Ikr... It also has all the fittings in more or less the right place and size to make conversion as easy as possible. Wink

(04-02-2015, 03:42 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: [ -> ]What's that rad off out of interest?

That's off a fiesta 1.8td, can be had new from Nissens for less than £50. Big Grin

(04-02-2015, 03:51 PM)405 Special Trim Diesel Turbo Wrote: [ -> ]nice thread, lots of hard graft

Cheers mate, certainly feels like it lol!

(04-02-2015, 03:56 PM)silverzx Wrote: [ -> ]Whats gonna be the bottleneck then? Fueling?

Almost certainly. Power isn't my main aim for this build anyway, that'll be the easy bit, it's the reduced pumping losses i'm interested in. Wink

(04-02-2015, 04:17 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Keep it up fella...looking good Smile

Cheers, i'll do my best, want the thing finished already!
Ok nice one, what hose did you use? Something custom?
If power isn't your goal then why go to all this trouble? Tongue

Suppose it'll look cool but big ball ache for that alone..? Big Grin
All the hoses are being made up from scratch with all the random bits we've got hanging around in our garages, like everything else in this project, that's why it's taking so bloody long lol. I'd love to be able to just order something made to fit, but the prices involved mean the project simply wouldn't have happened if i'd gone that route. Looks awful tbh, but should do the job for now.

You would know Trent, fecking posey ricer pansy. Tongue Pumping losses mate, pumping losses. Basically means this arrangement should result in greater efficiency due to the lower differential between inlet and exhaust manifold pressure.
(05-02-2015, 03:05 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]All the hoses are being made up from scratch with all the random bits we've got hanging around in our garages, like everything else in this project, that's why it's taking so bloody long lol. I'd love to be able to just order something made to fit, but the prices involved mean the project simply wouldn't have happened if i'd gone that route. Looks awful tbh, but should do the job for now.

You would know Trent, fecking posey ricer pansy. Tongue Pumping losses mate, pumping losses. Basically means this arrangement should result in greater efficiency due to the lower differential between inlet and exhaust manifold pressure.

Ricer pansy?

I prefer Datsun SlÜt if you don't mind...

Sounds good but you wouldn't add a compound setup just for economy at the cost / ball ache. Admit it, you want power, lots of it. Power gets the girls wet between the legs and thats about the only way a FWD is ever going to achieve such a thing. Blush
It's totally true tbh, i just hope one day i can learn to be as cool as you...
(05-02-2015, 06:51 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]It's totally true tbh, i just hope one day i can learn to be as cool as you...

You have a long way to go.

Patience is a virtue. Rolleyes
My late night booty / HDi problem calls probably dont aid with the progress of this lol
do I see a twin snail setup there? your going to be high as a kite off the boost from this! as I can it been on a constant spool!
what made you swop the shell over to a phase 2 shell?
cracking piece of engineering mind!
How have i only just caught wind of this thread??? Looking absolutley ace fella [THUMBS UP SIGN]
(24-02-2015, 12:51 AM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]do I see a twin snail setup there? your going to be high as a kite off the boost from this! as I can it been on a constant spool!  
what made you swop the shell over to a phase 2 shell?  
cracking piece of engineering mind!

Yeah, it kinda says compound in the thread title.. Well noticed though. lol
I'm liking this, it's like you've just gathered a collection of turbos and piled them under your bonnet Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20