306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Having them two turbos above the gear box is ridiculously unsafe let alone how bad it is for your COG.

You should be ashamed to even be considering putting that on the road.
loving this project its good to see some one go past the usual stage two map lol

are you using the stock exh manifold with a relocation pipe to the two turbos?
(10-09-2014, 12:43 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Having them two turbos above the gear box is ridiculously unsafe let alone how bad it is for your COG.

You should be ashamed to even be considering putting that on the road.

lmao
Rofl

It'll probably kill a few children, but we've all got to make sacrifices for our art.

(10-09-2014, 01:23 PM)ash23 Wrote: [ -> ]loving this project its good to see some one go past the usual stage two map lol

are you using the stock exh manifold with a relocation pipe to the two turbos?

Cheers bud, yeah that's right and the EGR outlet is being used to feed the external wastegate. There will be a custom one made, but the current arrangement will be to just to get it on the road and work out any issues.
Cba with proper update, too busy making boost.

[attachment=18998]

Peace out.
You gota pipe bender??
looking good Smile will the hdi mani + the gti pipes flow enough to not be a restriction for the two turbos ?
(14-09-2014, 04:46 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]Cba with proper update, too busy making boost.

Peace out.

Best. Update. Ever.

Loving how this is going Big Grin
Haha cheers man, got to keep my priorities in order! Big Grin

No Piggy, got a gti6 manifold, a grinder and a welder. lol

Shouldn't be a restriction, Ash, have ported the manifold and am running the egr outlet (also heavily ported) as a ewg-controlled second feed for the large turbo. Primary piping is 36mm x 2, as opposed to the standard turbo inlet of 32mm. We shall see though, i'll be running emp and egt gauges so we can keep an eye on everything.
ahhh yes i didnt realise there is going to be two separate feeds for the turbos. can't wait to see it going Smile you set any deadlines to have it done by? or just a case of its finished when its finished lol
Soon, that's about as specific as I'm willing to get lol. Originally i wanted to take it to the Nurburgring in the first weekend of October, but that's looking less likely by the day. Unfortunately i've got other commitments pressing on my time, not least two other vehicles requiring immediate attention. I haven't done any work towards my qualification in the last 6 weeks either, so that's tonight's agenda.
Remembered some of those pics. Having done half of the work already i remembered i have a pillar drill, so recovered that from my dad's garage. Immediately put it to heavy (ab)use, which it dealt with admirably:

[attachment=19278]

Most of the flanges and connecting pipework are made up now, just the ewg side of things to finish, then it'll just be welding:

[attachment=19279]

Clearance for all that pipework is getting tight down the back...:

[attachment=19280]

More has happened since, but very slowly. Items knocked off the list of distractions include exams, coursework, 205 mot, clear garden, etc. Probably about halfway through, with Nurburgring, more coursework, servicing, spring cleaning and more yet to come. Then maybe, just maybe, i can get back to doing the fun bit. Stay tuned for more exciting updates of domestic bliss.
Wait.. exams and coursework?
Looking good mate Smile
Yeah man, getting my vcq done with work.

Cheers, Chris.
Bladdy good effort from all of you! Bravo chaps! -
You not fussed about cleaning the bay before the new lump gets put in??
Keep at it!

c'mon...get it done just in time for -5degeree slipper road conditions! lol
Possibly, Ginge, depends if I can find new heels and a handbag to match. :p

Lol Piggy, you're probably just about on the money there. Probably a good thing, I won't be allowed to use the power while i'm running the engine in anyway.

Update time, I finally got stuck back into this at the weekend, as a result the exhaust piping is pretty much complete. Needs a brace or two making up and I need to finish making the last ewg flange, but that's it, finally! Also made a start on an airbox, learnt in the process that 1mm steel is a right bastard to weld with 0.8mm wire and pure co2 lol.

Theoretically just the easy bits left now - make up intake and boost piping, form some heat shields, fit and wire in a load of sensors and gauges, build up chassis, strip interior, etc. Looks like a lot written down like that, but should be doable in two or three solid weekends of work.

Not much interesting in the way of picture opportunities, just a couple of the near-complete exhaust, will try and remember to upload them later.
Ive not kept track of this but sounds awesome and great that youre so close to finishing. Cant wait to see it!
how much did the engine rebuild cost btw?

(27-10-2014, 01:21 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]Possibly, Ginge, depends if I can find new heels and a handbag to match. :p

Lol Piggy, you're probably just about on the money there. Probably a good thing, I won't be allowed to use the power while i'm running the engine in anyway.

Update time, I finally got stuck back into this at the weekend, as a result the exhaust piping is pretty much complete. Needs a brace or two making up and I need to finish making the last ewg flange, but that's it, finally! Also made a start on an airbox, learnt in the process that 1mm steel is a right bastard to weld with 0.8mm wire and pure co2 lol.

Theoretically just the easy bits left now - make up intake and boost piping, form some heat shields, fit and wire in a load of sensors and gauges, build up chassis, strip interior, etc. Looks like a lot written down like that, but should be doable in two or three solid weekends of work.

Not much interesting in the way of picture opportunities, just a couple of the near-complete exhaust, will try and remember to upload them later.

you definately need 2 boost gauges... just.. because haha
Just the engine rebuild items total about £650, including the balancing, tools and oem spec parts.

I definitely need two boost gauges - one for each stage of the compound. Same goes for emp, i might even need three for iat lol.
Always with the lack of pictures :p

I don't care if its an out of focus, dark, grainy shot, always want to see a twin charged bay!
Your wish is my command...

[attachment=19809]

[attachment=19808]

[attachment=19810]
yay zip ties Smile

looking great as always, like you say, just the easy stuff left to sort
Love the use of the EGR port! Smile
Yes, love this project
Will be making an appearance by fcs/pugfest i hope Wink
Awesome news buddy. Do you want me to come down and help with the stripping again. You know me, I love stripping. Smile
Cheers all, i hope so too, Jimbo, can't guarantee anything at this rate though. lol

You're always welcome down for a weekend, Chris, especially if i get to see you stripping. Again.
Went about making up some heat shields the other evening, try and keep some energy in the exhaust flow and heat out of the rest of the engine bay.
[attachment=19883]
[attachment=19884]
[attachment=19885]

Jonny also made up a bracket to take some of the weight off the long runs of exhaust mani piping.
[attachment=19882]

Over the weekend Fozzy came down to help, put his tart hat on and cleaned up the engine bay for me.
[attachment=19886]

I made up an actuator bracket for the TD05 wastegate and shortened the arm to fit in the available space.
[attachment=19887]

Then we did a test fit as i suspected the EWG was stuck out too far.
[attachment=19888]

It was...
[attachment=19889]

So took another picture because i'm whoring this then pulled the engine back out again, will sort out the misfitting ewg another day. Mmmm complicated metalwork...
[attachment=19890]

That's all for now, will be measuring up for oil lines, fitting belts and building up the coolant and intake pipework next. Need to make up some mounts for those heatshields too, something well damped to stop them from rattling.
Good progress! ThumbsUp

Got a goal date for this bud?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20